No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Keith Thurman Edges Shawn Porter To Win a War at Barclays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Realizniguhnit View Post
    Yea I actually thought Porter beat Brook. Too much holding by Brook and compared to what Thurman landed Brooks clean crisp power punches were few and far in between
    I totally agree with this. Not to mention that ref never warned Brook for the excessive clinching which last time I checked was not legal... To me the most overrated fighters in boxing take advantage of this millennial-Liberal judging-reffing system of permitting unlimited clinching and causing-non-action is considered a skill and scored as "ring generalship".

Thurman won the fight, fought like a man, didn't clinch and landed a lot of clean punches, which I couldn't believe that Porter was able to handle, of course this is a fight of the year candidate because of Porter's ability to absorb so much punishment.

We definitely saw flaws in both fighters though, that being said. Thurman's jab is just more Jeff Lacy than Winky Wright - that's his biggest problem... I see a lot of people bringing up Floyd for some reason - Floyd would dominate both of these guys because of his jab more than anything else. I think Errol Spence beats either of these guys for that very reason also.

This fight showed me that Spence has the best skill set and attributes in the WW division right now - granted his chin hasn't been truly test yet, and I'd love to see Spence fight Brook and the winner fight the winner of this rematch since Cherry Garcia seems to be focused on making a Berto or Broner fight (the Broner fight is a good fight but I'll even admit it's a step back as far as claiming WW Supremacy).
    Last edited by MisanthropicNY; 06-26-2016, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by royjonesjrKTFO View Post
      Boxing isn't about being more active. Porter deserve to lose. He doesn't look like a boxer. Thurman won this clearly with clean punches and showed better defense than Porter. This is the type of fights where dumb fans scores for the guy coming forward and not connecting solid blows. Porter had his moments where he out-worked Keith on the inside, but it wasn't consistent. Keith out-boxed and hurt him several times. I'm not impressed by either fighter. Kell Brook might be the absolute best Welterweight.
      It's called being a pressure fighter and fighting on the inside... Brook is the best Welterweight because he looks most like a "boxer" to you...yes because you believe boxing is about only being on the outside and clinching is acceptable to you. Saying someone won because he "looked more like the classic boxer" is just dumb and Porter also hurt Thurman btw..something you left out...

I thought Thurman won also, and landed the cleaner shots, but to act like Brook is something special because he clinches and gets away with it and Porter fights on the inside - is just stupid and the reason boxing gets so many boring fights and bad decisions - people like you judging and commentating on the fights.

Comment

• I had porter winning by a round

Comment

• I had Porter by a point, arguably two... If there's not a rematch I'm gonna be pissed. Porter out worked him the entire fight.

I guess body shots and being the aggressor doesn't matter anymore. It's all about pretty, distant one-shots to the head.

Comment

• Very good fight. Much better than i'd actually imagined it would be.
            Started out at a fast pace and kept going.

Some of the rounds were really close and hard to score. I actually saw it as a draw, but a draw, or 7-5 either way would of been there or there-abouts IMO.

Porter just makes his opponents work all the time. The guy must be a nightmare to fight.
            I thought Thurman looked troubled after that body-shot, but came back great in the next round. He landed some nice shots through-out. Good fight.

It was around 4.30am after the fight, so i went to bed straight after the scorecards. But i noticed Book was in the SKY Sports studio...did he mention a possible fight with Thurman at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
              These two are not the best. This should have been a draw and if anything, showed how limited and lacking these two really are. The reason this was an entertaining fight was because they are on the same level, but they are far from top level.
              Thurman cannot box, he can't jab, his sight is poor in exchanges (just swings blindly) he has 2 punches in his arsenal.
              Porter can't throw punches correctly, he is slow, no jab, just sits on your chest and throws poor shots.
              These two are not good enough to be called the best at welterweight.
              ... and you should also add Danny into the "no jab" category... and you're left with Brook...

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                Porter fights with his eyes closed, smothers his work

I have to say i was impressed Thurman didnt clinch him to death like Brook did
                ... maybe he wanted to clinch, but he's not as big and strong as Brook is...

Comment

• WOW! That was one of the best fights of the year, it was an amazing fight. It was very close, Porter could have won. Great win for Thurman!

Comment

• Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                    All depends on how judges see the fight. I had it a draw or 1 point win for Porter... but it seems the judges liked Thurman's speed more than Porters rough house tactics. I'll say one thing... Thurman has never been in that tough a fight... and Porter certainly has nothing to be ashamed of. The only thing I think he lacked was enough aggression and punches when he had Thurman at or close to the ropes. Porter has a steel chin and is one tough dude. I look forward to seeing him fight again.
                    ... When watching close fights I rather imagine how the judges would score the fight: I thought that they will give it 116-112 to Thurman...

Comment

• Great fight. I scored it for Thurman.

Comment

Working...
                      X