No announcement yet.

Im glad Whitaker vs Jeff Fenech didn't happen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    LOL since when did Whitaker ever stand and trade.. he was no fighter, he just tried to outspar opponents and did very well at it. Besides it is a size mismatch. A great featherweight but I am sure Young Griffo, Willie Pep and Abe Attell would destroy him but it would take a few rounds to beat him, it may go the distance but a Griffo or a Pep would rack up so many points it would be a whitewash. Fenech is still a great though.

That's pretty disrespectful to a fighter of Pernell Whitaker's calibre. I remember Whitaker very well and he stood in the pocket and traded punches with plenty of opponents. He could fight inside and outside and worked the body extremely well.

The fact that his opponents had trouble hitting him in no way reflects that he wasn't a "fighter."

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      LOL since when did Whitaker ever stand and trade.. he was no fighter, he just tried to outspar opponents and did very well at it. Besides it is a size mismatch. A great featherweight but I am sure Young Griffo, Willie Pep and Abe Attell would destroy him but it would take a few rounds to beat him, it may go the distance but a Griffo or a Pep would rack up so many points it would be a whitewash. Fenech is still a great though.
      Those guys would have some trouble with the size of Fenech imo. And Whitaker could stand right in front of you and make you miss and pay he is a top 3 counterpuncher of all time imo

Hardly any one on here takes into account that all the fighters of yesteryear fought with same day weigh ins.... Fenech would rehydrate into the 130s when fighting at 122... Thats basically the same size as a lightweight of the old times who would weigh in the mid 130s when training hard and eating properly...

Pep could easily make 122 these days and probably would have spent time at 118..

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        That's pretty disrespectful to a fighter of Pernell Whitaker's calibre. I remember Whitaker very well and he stood in the pocket and traded punches with plenty of opponents. He could fight inside and outside and worked the body extremely well.

The fact that his opponents had trouble hitting him in no way reflects that he wasn't a "fighter."
        Agreed. Whitaker was proof of the principle that when a defense becomes so good, at a certain point it becomes an offense. What people call counter punching these days is returning fire... they should watch Mayweather at 135 and the Pea to understand what a real counter punch does to an opponent...the kind that is timed so that before, or just at the point of full extension the boom is lowered!

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post

Fenech would be a nightmare for any featherweight in history. But I don't think he'd beat an ATG lightweight like Whitaker.
          fenech was a bum that beat nobody

Comment

Working...
          X