Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Floyd ducking thread...aaarghhhh. I dislike Floyd's tactics of picking fights, especially since his move up from 135 but none of that changes now. He has done just enough to be regarded a borderline ATG, a top p4p fighter and has made millions off the backs of ridiculous bouts such as Floyd/Baldomir and Floyd/middle aged Mosley.

It would be great if I could sit here and talk about Floyd/Tzyu, Floyd/closer to prime Cotto/Mosley, Floyd/Pac or one of my fav match ups, Floyd/Williams at 147. But we can't. I know it's impossible in the modern era to fight every top level guy in or around ur division since there are so many "championship" belts around but it would have been nice if a couple of those fights had been made when they were big news.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      The ridiculously high standards Floyd set for himself through his performances against top 10 opposition for 15 years, makes it impossible for fans to actually sit down and think "Wait a minute, this is actually a good opponent".

What people don't realize is that. it's not that they don't think Floyd's opponents are good, it's that they don't think the match is good, because of how good Floyd is.

It's like Roy Jones fighting guys like McCallum, Gonzalez, Hill, R. Johnson, Harding, Sosa, Del Valle, Griffin etc These guys were VERY good, really good fighters. Unfortunately you see NOBODY, or very few "Boxing fans" actually mention these fighters as good wins for Roy Jones Jr. Even his wins over Hopkins and Toney have some excuses behind it.

This is exactly what is happening to Floyd. His opposition would be seen as ATG-career-creating-wins for any other fighter, as seen by Pacquiao beating DLH, Hatton, Marquez, and Cotto and getting massive amounts of praise for it but Floyd fought old, shot, and small fighters.
      Are you fuking serious?

Roy Jones Jr should have fought Benn-Eubank-Nunn-Mccellan-Daruiz.
      You are delusional if you think lmfao Johnson Gonzalez Sosa and God damn HARDING is more dangerous than Dariuz Benn-Nunn-Eubank.

The very fact that you used a Roy Jones Jr example and listed a whole bunch of B Rated fighters shows your complete and utter lack of knowledge when it comes to boxing.

Go back to my Tiger Muhammad thread.. That thread is for people like you.

Lmao @ listing guys like Harding and Sosa .. Did you boxrec those foolz?
      Or did you actually watch them fight?

Comment

' kev'

thinks Harding and Sosa are better fighters than Eubank,Daruiz, and Nunn.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
          Yeah like I thought you are here to troll. Way to ignore the Berto-Mosley fiasco. **** outta here. Go back and talk Floyd vs. Pac in that dead ass topic of a thread. Like you do everyday.

When are you Floyd fans going to get it?

Sorry bud but what does Berto-Mosley being cancelled have to do with Floyd? Floyd knew that the pickings were good and took advantage of that. Floyd could have been all wrong about how he felt about Mosley but for him to admit to Mosley being past it is what is the key in all this.

Comment

No way Arum gets 8 million for the Margarito fight for him and then just lets him walk away. The contract would have had clasues for Floyd to re-sign with TR for more time. Margarito is a cheater, everyone would have just said he beat a cheater if he did fight Margo anyway.

The only fight that should have happened that didn't is Mayweather vs Pacquiao in 2010, and I just don't know who to blame in that scenario with every rumor and story we heard during negotiations.

Comment

Mayweather will be the favourite against whoever he fights and people deem this as him picking easy fights
              If he fights Martinez,make no mistake,he will still be the favourite
              People were screaming that he wouldn't fight Shane but he stuck two fingers up to all the haters with that fight
              He tried to make the Pacquiao fight,who else do ye want him to fight that's in his weight class?
              If Pacquiao was to fight Guerrero or Alvarez he would be hailed as the best ever
              What fighter is out there fighting better opponents than him?

Comment

Originally posted by Jcsuper View Post
                I can guarantee that if Floyd fights Martinez at 154 tomorrow he gets no credit. People will say Martinez was out of his weightclass and weightdrained.
                A lot of Mayweather fanboys use this excuse to discredit Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by MUFC#1 View Post
                  Only when it suits him. Sometimes when he's asked about the hardest fights he'll say it's not about money and he's thinking of his legacy or love of the sport.

http://vimeo.com/57728833
                  And you honestly Believe That Now? When I see Mayweather Videos when he is not fight, it is usually him Counting His Money or doing something that pretains to Money...how many times have you seen Mayweather Walking Around With His Belts an Counting His Belts? lol

Mayweather only say he cares about Legacy and Fans during the PRE FIGHT STUFF like Press Conferences and Interviews before the fight to sale the PPV's and Tickets but for the most part it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                    Floyd said it BEFORE the fight was made and its in a video clip as proof.

It matters more what Floyd thinks than what I think. If Floyd thinks its less risky because he knows that his opponent will be rusty (16 month layoff), out of prime, and OLD then that is the point of all this!
                    What makes this moot is that Mayweather wanted this fight sooner than it happened. He called for it as far back as after his fight with Philip NDou (not realistic then but the desire was there). But in '06, the fight was a real possibility and it was Mosley that didn't want a bar of it. Check the Vargas II postfight interview and Mosley was very different from the guy that stormed the ring a couple of years later. Mayweather didn't "wait" for Mosley to get old, Mosley waited until he got old and Mayweather was worth more money for the risk of losing to him.

Also, I think MUFC and sicko are both right. Mayweather contradicts himself from one interview from the next. But I truly believe he thinks it's all about him. HE fights who HE wants if it makes him the most money. I reconciled myself with this a while ago. Sometimes it coincides with what fans want but not often enough. Say what you want but people WANTED the fight with Hatton to happen. The clamour was big for it and many thought it wouldn't happen, but it did. The same goes for the Mosley fight. People wanted it and it happened. Mayweather himself said he'd get little credit for it before hand but he fought Mosley when Mosley was finally keen on it.

The ones I wanted to see: vs Cotto (2008), vs Margarito and of course vs Pacquiao. I'm not going to go into all the why's and wherefores as they've been done to death.

Mayweather will continue to do what he does for a little longer which is fight good fighters for the coin. And people will always have an idea of what they think he should be doing (regardless of what their agenda is). For whatever he does, there'll always be something he didn't do. You can apply that to many, many top pro boxers when they retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                      Regardless after Mosley stormed the ring everyone was asking for that fight so it's not like he had a choice to not fight him.
                      Everyone was asking for the Pac fight too, how come he had a choice in this case?

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                      It matters more what Floyd thinks than what I think. If Floyd thinks its less risky because he knows that his opponent will be rusty (16 month layoff), out of prime, and OLD then that is the point of all this!
                      And how do you know what he thinks? Based on what he says? So if he had signed to fight Pac and talked trash before the fight (easy work, he's a bum, etc), you wouldn't have given Floyd credit?

Comment

Working...
                      X