Mandatory National Service - Top 3 Pros and Cons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
    Thought we are supposed to be free??
    We are free. Unless of course you are referring to freedom of speech...which is no longer a thing depending upon which party you support. Outside of that, no shackles around my ankles, how about you?

Comment

Thought we are supposed to be free??
      Its a myth you can have real freedom. There have to be laws & rules in any country thats trying to maintain a certain level of civility.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        We are free. Unless of course you are referring to freedom of speech...which is no longer a thing depending upon which party you support.
        When did freedom of speech go anywhere? I don't see that anything has changed since I've been around. In fact I think more people then ever are using their freedom of speech.

Most of the people who seem to have a issue with free speech today seem to be people who expect others to not use their own freedom of speech against people they disagree with. Just cuz you get freedom of speech return fire doesn't mean you don't have freedom of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          When did freedom of speech go anywhere? I don't see that anything has changed since I've been around. In fact I think more people then ever are using their freedom of speech.

Most of the people who seem to have a issue with free speech today seem to be people who expect others to not use their own freedom of speech against people they disagree with. Just cuz you get freedom of speech return fire doesn't mean you don't have freedom of speech.
          Today we are seeing people lose their jobs, admissions to colleges, and even arrested for words that are offensive. This didn't go on years prior to the degree that it does today. If a person says something offensive in the workplace, then yes, they should be disciplined accordingly, but if someone dug up something they said or wrote 10+ years ago and that is what gets them fired, that is attack on someone's free speech. Strong arm tactics used to force apologies out of people (Kevin Hart?), fire them from jobs, remove them from office or positions of authority, blacklist them, and intimidate them into silence.

Comment

Today we are seeing people lose their jobs, admissions to colleges, and even arrested for words that are offensive. This didn't go on years prior to the degree that it does today. If a person says something offensive in the workplace, then yes, they should be disciplined accordingly, but if someone dug up something they said or wrote 10+ years ago and that is what gets them fired, that is attack on someone's free speech. Strong arm tactics used to force apologies out of people (Kevin Hart?), fire them from jobs, remove them from office or positions of authority, blacklist them, and intimidate them into silence.
            Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences from other people with the freedom to express their own opinions & stances including not wishing to be associated with people with opinions they deem wrong or just bad for business.

I do agree digging up old sh^t & acting like its present day sh^t is a problem, but as nutty as being mad at some sh^t Kevin Hart or some student said 10 & 2 years ago, respectively, its something nutty ass people are doing & deem relevant. I see this issue separate from freedom of speech doe.

Comment

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences from other people with the freedom to express their own opinions & stances including not wishing to be associated with people with opinions they deem wrong or just bad for business.

I do agree digging up old sh^t & acting like its present day sh^t is a problem, but as nutty as being mad at some sh^t Kevin Hart or some student said 10 & 2 years ago, respectively, its something nutty ass people are doing & deem relevant. I see this issue separate from freedom of speech doe.
              Freedom of speech is protection from the government. 1 cannot violate some1s civil rights unless they are working as a government actor/agent. A business, a school, or any private entity basically has a right to refuse service to anyone unless its for race, religion, gender, sexual orientation etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Freedom of speech is protection from the government. 1 cannot violate some1s civil rights unless they are working as a government actor/agent. A business, a school, or any private entity basically has a right to refuse service to anyone unless its for race, religion, gender, sexual orientation etc.
                I don't know if I fully agree on the highlighted. Take the case of the bakers who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding. If their values are such that they don't accept gay marriage, then the gay couple should just take their business elsewhere. Why sue someone or force them to accept your lifestyle choices? I would bet anything that if that bakery were owned by Muslims who refused to bake their cake, they would have moved on and found another baker.

Just recently there was a women-owned feminist restaurant that went out of business because they charged a "man tax" of 18% more for men than women. In that instance, there were no need for lawsuits, government intervention, etc. The people spoke with their wallets and put them out of business by taking their business elsewhere. Ironically, this happened in Australia where their constitution doesn't protect freedom of speech.

Comment

We are free. Unless of course you are referring to freedom of speech...which is no longer a thing depending upon which party you support. Outside of that, no shackles around my ankles, how about you?
                  Mandatory service wouldn’t be free would it?

Personally i don’t object. But for discussions sake, it isn’t if one has to do
                  Mandatory service In The military.

Comment

Its a myth you can have real freedom. There have to be laws & rules in any country thats trying to maintain a certain level of civility.
                    True. The only thing that separates us from wild animals are our laws.

I think if you have a mortgage today is basically modern day slavery. We are in essence slaves to our masters, the damn mortgage company.

Comment

True. The only thing that separates us from wild animals are our laws.

I think if you have a mortgage today is basically modern day slavery. We are in essence slaves to our masters, the damn mortgage company.
                      I'd argue it goes deeper than that. You can hardly live off the grid these days. They wanna charge you to own a car. They wanna charge you to camp in the f#cking woods lol. Everything has a expense to it even at the most basic of levels. It costs money to breath in a roundabout way.

Comment

Working...
                      X