No announcement yet.

Why frazier took things to far with Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why frazier took things to far with Ali

Interesting article about Frazier taking his rivalry with Ali to far and why Tyson Foreman never happened.

https://www.sportscasting.com/when-j...i-too-far/?amp
    Last edited by JAB5239; 10-26-2020, 08:03 AM.

I don't believe that even old Foreman was scared of Tyson. He sparred with Liston and destroyed Frazier. Old Foreman went toe to toe with Holyfield for 12.
    I believe Tyson was scared of Foreman.

Comment

Joe was hurt and humiliated, and took all of Ali’s trash talking to heart. It was his prerogative not to forgive him. Sometimes you can take the trash talking too far, regardless of whether it’s to hype the fight. It would have been nice if Joe could have softened his stance as Ali’s condition grew worse, but some people just don’t have that in them.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
        I don't believe that even old Foreman was scared of Tyson. He sparred with Liston and destroyed Frazier. Old Foreman went toe to toe with Holyfield for 12.
        I believe Tyson was scared of Foreman.
        Honestly, they both should have been scared of each other. Tyson because of the money he stood to lose from a guy who's style was made to beat his own. Foreman for having to get in with the younger and powerful champion that could have quite possibly exposed him.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Joe was hurt and humiliated, and took all of Ali’s trash talking to heart. It was his prerogative not to forgive him. Sometimes you can take the trash talking too far, regardless of whether it’s to hype the fight. It would have been nice if Joe could have softened his stance as Ali’s condition grew worse, but some people just don’t have that in them.
          I can see both sides of this, but it leaves a bitter tastes that Joe's moral compass didn't allow him to let go at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Honestly, they both should have been scared of each other. Tyson because of the money he stood to lose from a guy who's style was made to beat his own. Foreman for having to get in with the younger and powerful champion that could have quite possibly exposed him.
            I remember thinking at the time (because I was pulling for Old George) that I wanted the Tyson fight. I realized he (Foreman) could have been taken out early, but there was also a good chance he could have turned the fight into Frazier III.

When it became Holyfield I was dejected and expected (and got) a UD for Holyfield.

IMO Tyson would have been the better shot for George to win the title at that point (and that would have been terribly more exciting then the Moorer victory.)

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
              I remember thinking at the time (because I was pulling for Old George) that I wanted the Tyson fight. I realized he (Foreman) could have been taken out early, but there was also a good chance he could have turned the fight into Frazier III.

When it became Holyfield I was dejected and expected (and got) a UD for Holyfield.

IMO Tyson would have been the better shot for George to win the title at that point (and that would have been terribly more exciting then the Moorer victory.)
              Much more exciting.....and I agree. Tyson had to come forward, and that plays into George's hands. It was surprising at the time to See Morrison outbox Foreman instead of going for the kill. And as much of a better fighter Mike was than Tommy, I don't think he could have done that. You could box George, you couldn't fight him. But Tyson always had that chance to stop him early and I think George knew that.

Comment

Muhammad Ali took things too far with how he treated Frazier. So to hell with Ali.

Karma got him in the end.

Comment

Can you really blame Frazier? Ali made it very personal during their fights.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Muhammad Ali took things too far with how he treated Frazier. So to hell with Ali.

Karma got him in the end.
                    Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                    Can you really blame Frazier? Ali made it very personal during their fights.
                    I get this, I really do. But it's a case of "I'm rubber, you're glue" in my opinion. I love Frazier as a fighter....and he had a right to be angry. But to carry it over after they were both done.....as much as I respect the fighter, I think it shows low character of the man.

Comment

Working...
                    X