Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion

Old 10-04-2020, 10:52 PM #1

Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,000.24
Total Points: 124,859.10
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 
Default Gaethje on Khabib: ĎI want him to quit. I want him to know Iím the superior athleteí

Justin Gaethje has heard all the stories about how Khabib Nurmagomedov is unbeatable.

Considering the way the undefeated Russian has mauled his competition to become the reigning and defending UFC lightweight champion, his reputation isnít entirely exaggerated.

Nurmagomedov has walked through opponent after opponent inside the octagon while technically only losing one round during his entire UFC career.

But for all the gaudy accolades and accomplishments that Nurmagomedov has racked up over the years, Gaethje still believes he has one massive advantage that will help lead him to victory where 28 others have fallen to defeat.

ďMy confidence is probably my biggest factor right now paired with the power that I possess paired with the coach that I have,Ē Gaethje said when speaking to reporters during the UFC 254 media day. ďThatís a dangerous combination.

ďAnd I donít care if I win or lose at the end of the day. As long as I make my family happy, as long as Iím proud of my performance, then it doesnít matter. Thatís what makes me most dangerous. I donít know if heís fought somebody like that.Ē

When it comes to his power, Gaethje certainly has a proven commodity when it comes to the unbelievable amount of punishment heís able to dish out, which includes a trio of first round finishes in the UFC.

Even in defeat, the former World Series of Fighting champion has inflicted so much damage that past opponents like Dustin Poirier have compared the aftermath of a fight against Gaethje to going through a car crash.

Despite his incredible resume, Nurmagomedov has never had to endure that kind of punishment during his career and maybe heís up for the challenge.

Gaethje is definitely keen to find out.

ďAnybody can go to sleep,Ē Gaethje said. ďHeís a fool if he doesnít think he can go to sleep.Ē

Of course as confident as he might be about eventually putting Nurmagomedov away, Gaethje isnít foolish enough to expect this to be an easy night at the office for him.

In the days leading up to the fight, one of the questions thatís been posed to Gaethje more than any other is how heís going to deal with Nurmagomedovís wrestling.

Over the course of his UFC career, Nurmagomedov has landed 57 takedowns, which is second all-time in lightweight history including a stunning 21 takedown performance against Abel Trujullo, which set a single-night record inside the octagon.

For his part, Gaethje actually comes from a wrestling background after he became an All-American while competing at the University of Northern Colorado but heís not expecting to match takedown for takedown with Nurmagomedov when they clash on Oct. 24.

ďIíve wrestled my whole life. I wrestle a lot in there,Ē Gaethje said. ďA huge part of wrestling is not being able to let someone take you down and hold you down. That was my main focus my whole life when I wrestled. I never had a great offense but you could not take me down, you could not hold me down. Iím going to use that.

ďItís very important to stay off the ground. Iím not trying to go in there and wrestle with Khabib. I donít think I can beat him in a wrestling match because I havenít focused on wrestling like that to win a wrestling match. Iíve constantly worked on my defense. Thatís never gone away.Ē

If Nurmagomedov is going to ultimately out wrestle Gaethje, he just doesnít want to allow the Dagestani born champion to control one very specific aspect of the fight, which is how he typically drags his opponents to the ground.

ďI have to focus on not being on the fence, not being taken down,Ē Gaethje explained. ďIf I do get taken down, Iíve got to make him work like his life depends on it.

ďIf he does take me down, I need to make sure that I threaten him with something up the middle is going to make him hesitate the next time. Thatís what Iíll be in there doing.Ē

While wrestling may be Nurmagomedovís primary focus, Gaethje knows his only job is inflicting as much suffering on his opponent as possible.

Whether that means a first round knockout or a 25-minute war, Gaethje promises to give Nurmagomedov everything he can handle Ö and more.

ďIím going to try to beat him into submission,Ē Gaethje said. ďI want him to quit. I want him to know Iím the superior athlete, the superior man. Thatís the goal of this game.Ē
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
millcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond reputemillcitymauler has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,060.70
Total Points: 36,767.86
Merry Christmas - TBear 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
Justin Gaethje has heard all the stories about how Khabib Nurmagomedov is unbeatable.

Considering the way the undefeated Russian has mauled his competition to become the reigning and defending UFC lightweight champion, his reputation isnít entirely exaggerated.

Nurmagomedov has walked through opponent after opponent inside the octagon while technically only losing one round during his entire UFC career.

But for all the gaudy accolades and accomplishments that Nurmagomedov has racked up over the years, Gaethje still believes he has one massive advantage that will help lead him to victory where 28 others have fallen to defeat.

ďMy confidence is probably my biggest factor right now paired with the power that I possess paired with the coach that I have,Ē Gaethje said when speaking to reporters during the UFC 254 media day. ďThatís a dangerous combination.

ďAnd I donít care if I win or lose at the end of the day. As long as I make my family happy, as long as Iím proud of my performance, then it doesnít matter. Thatís what makes me most dangerous. I donít know if heís fought somebody like that.Ē

When it comes to his power, Gaethje certainly has a proven commodity when it comes to the unbelievable amount of punishment heís able to dish out, which includes a trio of first round finishes in the UFC.

Even in defeat, the former World Series of Fighting champion has inflicted so much damage that past opponents like Dustin Poirier have compared the aftermath of a fight against Gaethje to going through a car crash.

Despite his incredible resume, Nurmagomedov has never had to endure that kind of punishment during his career and maybe heís up for the challenge.

ďAnybody can go to sleep,Ē Gaethje said. ďHeís a fool if he doesnít think he can go to sleep.Ē

Of course as confident as he might be about eventually putting Nurmagomedov away, Gaethje isnít foolish enough to expect this to be an easy night at the office for him.

In the days leading up to the fight, one of the questions thatís been posed to Gaethje more than any other is how heís going to deal with Nurmagomedovís wrestling.

Over the course of his UFC career, Nurmagomedov has landed 57 takedowns, which is second all-time in lightweight history including a stunning 21 takedown performance against Abel Trujullo, which set a single-night record inside the octagon.

For his part, Gaethje actually comes from a wrestling background after he became an All-American while competing at the University of Northern Colorado but heís not expecting to match takedown for takedown with Nurmagomedov when they clash on Oct. 24.

ďIíve wrestled my whole life. I wrestle a lot in there,Ē Gaethje said. ďA huge part of wrestling is not being able to let someone take you down and hold you down. That was my main focus my whole life when I wrestled. I never had a great offense but you could not take me down, you could not hold me down. Iím going to use that.

ďItís very important to stay off the ground. Iím not trying to go in there and wrestle with Khabib. I donít think I can beat him in a wrestling match because I havenít focused on wrestling like that to win a wrestling match. Iíve constantly worked on my defense. Thatís never gone away.Ē

If Nurmagomedov is going to ultimately out wrestle Gaethje, he just doesnít want to allow the Dagestani born champion to control one very specific aspect of the fight, which is how he typically drags his opponents to the ground.

ďI have to focus on not being on the fence, not being taken down,Ē Gaethje explained. ďIf I do get taken down, Iíve got to make him work like his life depends on it.

ďIf he does take me down, I need to make sure that I threaten him with something up the middle is going to make him hesitate the next time. Thatís what Iíll be in there doing.Ē

While wrestling may be Nurmagomedovís primary focus, Gaethje knows his only job is inflicting as much suffering on his opponent as possible.

Whether that means a first round knockout or a 25-minute war, Gaethje promises to give Nurmagomedov everything he can handle Ö and more.

ďIím going to try to beat him into submission,Ē Gaethje said. ďI want him to quit. I want him to know Iím the superior athlete, the superior man. Thatís the goal of this game.Ē
Not a big fan of the UFC, but I would go out of my way to watch this matchup.
millcitymauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:13 AM #3
05-

Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,050.75
Total Points: 45,897.80
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

Styles certainly make fights in MMA as well. This will be Khabib's toughest matchup since Tibau. But Gaethje is tougher, he has dangerous hands, great cardio and great heart. If he truly is able to stop Khabib's wrestling or atleast make it a non-factor, it could go either way. I believe Khabib has underrated striking and I think he can keep it up for 5 rounds. If it's a striking match this could go either way.
BKM- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:04 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2847 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,630.69
Total Points: 91,264.64
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn No Message - Marchegiano 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post

So Gaethje wants to pull a Roman Reigns from the last Clash show, it seems.
Anthony342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 PM #5
Il Principe

Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
F l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,884.04
Total Points: 77,764.46
Happy Easter :D  :kiss: - Bossy i like your avatar - zab191 Cheers, to huge titties. - Very Rich Man Happy 15k posts darling! :kiss: - Bossy Happy birthday babe! I hope you have a wonderful day. love and kisses :kiss: - Bossy 
For your anus - desktop 0 For your vagina - desktop 0 For your mouth - desktop 0 LMAO!!! - desktop 0 you like it - desktop 0 
for when your boyfriend is away - desktop 0 here's another - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 
No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER 

I’d tune into it.

I am not a fan of either but both remind me of fighters from years ago. Chris Horodecki and Matt Hughes
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
F l i c k e r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:54 PM #6
___

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
BritishBoxing92 has disabled reputation
Bank: 15,770.90
Total Points: 21,178.49
You da best!! - Chups burner is a muppet - Red October We dont talk about fight club... - kaps paki pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Congo Cash paki pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Congo Cash 
Born To Run - The Beatles Iron Mike Tyson - The Beatles Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles To drown your sorrows when Liverpool beat Man U :D - Mersey chat crew - project xxx1 
Shake it down. - S H A R K B O Y Good Poster - Dorian Heres some cake son - -Kevin- great guy - Old Coward , a bottle so you can hit someone with it or throw it at a idiot, thanks homie - Tha_Greatest 
Squealpiggy sent me this , he wanted me to be his boyfreind but i rejected his gay ass,  hold on to these so i can burn them later, homie, thanks homie - Tha_Greatest have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier have a bigmac - Grand Champ Great member of boxingscene, always be a good buddie of mine. - Dorian.. Caffe latte for my boiiiii - Law 15 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Gift Giver Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Red October Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Freedom Fighter Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Erik. AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - DorianWozniacki 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Dorian.. 

I wonder if Khabib gets riled up enough it would make one hell off a fight/performance and victory if he wins unless Gaethje gets under his skin too much and ends up being true to his word and pulls off an upset in the octagon?
BritishBoxing92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:35 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2847 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,630.69
Total Points: 91,264.64
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn No Message - Marchegiano 

Haven't watched as much UFC lately as I used to, but this one I wanna see. Oct. 24? I'm there dude.
Anthony342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:25 PM #8
Up and Comer

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
CombatCan will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,128.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM- View Post
Styles certainly make fights in MMA as well. This will be Khabib's toughest matchup since Tibau. But Gaethje is tougher, he has dangerous hands, great cardio and great heart. If he truly is able to stop Khabib's wrestling or atleast make it a non-factor, it could go either way. I believe Khabib has underrated striking and I think he can keep it up for 5 rounds. If it's a striking match this could go either way.
I agree that Khabib's striking is somewhat underrated, but I don't think that he can beat Gaethje on his feet. I think Justin has the best chance of any active MMA fighter to beat Khabib right now. He looked very impressive in his dominant performance against Tony Ferguson. He came in as an underdug, and dominated from bell to bell. His striking ability, and take down defense will cause Khabib lots of trouble. I expect an all out war.

That said, I'm picking Khabib to win, but I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see Gaethje pull it off.

I haven't been this stoked for an MMA card in quite awhile. I'm also looking forward to seeing Robert Whitaker in action again. He's been in some great scraps over the years. Entertaining fighter!
CombatCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:26 PM #9
05-

Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,050.75
Total Points: 45,897.80
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatCan View Post
I agree that Khabib's striking is somewhat underrated, but I don't think that he can beat Gaethje on his feet. I think Justin has the best chance of any active MMA fighter to beat Khabib right now. He looked very impressive in his dominant performance against Tony Ferguson. He came in as an underdug, and dominated from bell to bell. His striking ability, and take down defense will cause Khabib lots of trouble. I expect an all out war.

That said, I'm picking Khabib to win, but I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see Gaethje pull it off.

I haven't been this stoked for an MMA card in quite awhile. I'm also looking forward to seeing Robert Whitaker in action again. He's been in some great scraps over the years. Entertaining fighter!
Thing with MMA is you don't have to be a better striker than an opponent to be able to out-strike him. Khabib has a massive takedown threat at every moment of the fight so that puts strikers off. It's how he outstruck even a highly technical striker like Conor.
BKM- is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends