No announcement yet.

Jess Willard v. Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
    I am not sure I agree. IMO a 1903-04 Jeffries vs. Johnson is a very different fight than their 1910 go.

I guess the best match-up would have been Jeffries staying active until 1907 and the two meeting that year.
    I was being facetious. I realize that comes across poorly on a message board. But saying Johnson would never beat Willard is the same as saying Jeffries could never beat Johnson. I don't think anyone could say for sure, but I have little doubt the best versions of themselves would fair much better against Johnson for Jeffries, and Willard for Johnson. And while Jeff may have struggled (win or lose) at his best with Johnson, I believe Jack would have handled Willard with much less trouble while at his best. Of course this is my opinion as there is really no way to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Used to be the rounds were unlimited, ie a fight to the finish.
      Used to be a round ended when there was a knockdown. So the rounds were sometimes much shorter than 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Used to be a round ended when there was a knockdown. So the rounds were sometimes much shorter than 3 minutes.
        That should have been pretty routine knowledge for someone who saw the filmed version of the Pep-Robinson amateur fight. 😄

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          That should have been pretty routine knowledge for someone who saw the filmed version of the Pep-Robinson amateur fight. ��
          - -Watching U sharpen U Pinhead before returning to the Dunce corner...priceless.

Comment

- -Watching U sharpen U Pinhead before returning to the Dunce corner...priceless.
            Link please. 😄

Comment

Watching you yell at the pharmacist because Geritol
              changed the formula, not so priceless.

Comment

Jess Willard has a good win?

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  Jess Willard has a good win?
                  willard vs marciano is a 50/50 fight tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                    I am not sure I agree. IMO a 1903-04 Jeffries vs. Johnson is a very different fight than their 1910 go.

I guess the best match-up would have been Jeffries staying active until 1907 and the two meeting that year.
                    I still wonder if Jeffries isn't too far gone at that point.

But both men in their prime, Jeffries is too strong and hits too hard for Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      I was being facetious. I realize that comes across poorly on a message board. But saying Johnson would never beat Willard is the same as saying Jeffries could never beat Johnson. I don't think anyone could say for sure, but I have little doubt the best versions of themselves would fair much better against Johnson for Jeffries, and Willard for Johnson. And while Jeff may have struggled (win or lose) at his best with Johnson, I believe Jack would have handled Willard with much less trouble while at his best. Of course this is my opinion as there is really no way to prove it.
                      Too bad for you there's actually footage of all three sufficient for making evaluations, however.

Johnson's greatest asset was his size and strength. That disappears against both Jeffries and Willard. Jeffries could actually stop men with with punch, and remain standing when tagged, which further handicaps Johnson in their pairing.

Again, Johnson's success was based on being the larger man and fouling. He loses those advantages against Willard. While Willard didn't have Jeffries punch, confidence or skill, he was an even bigger man. It's not a pretty fight, but it's hard to imagine Johnson fairing any better earlier in his career. Willard was fighting guys like McCarty and Smith while coming up. I'm not sure Johnson EVER fought anyone that good. Johnson's career took full flight. Willard's was cut short in Toldeo. It's clear Johnson was hell bent on being the best in the world, while Willard was a reluctant fighter. But Jess is simply too much of Jack's own medicine.

Comment

Working...
                      X