Collapse
No announcement yet.

A theory on HBO boxing's budget cuts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also rather put the money on Game on Throne types than boxing if I were them. Just imagine how many people benefit in movie productions? Hundreds. In boxing majority of the budget goes to one fighter for each main card.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Sesame Street did make sense because that show prints money and was a very valuable property. Too valuable in fact to have on public broadcasting really. That was probably the best investment they made.
      You're talking about merchandising? I didn't think about that part. That is a good investment.

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Westworld (which was a movie I always liked) is a cool concept but I don't know how you turn that into a long running TV show. I can see a season but what are the robots going to do after they go crazy and exact their revenge? Set up their own society. Then you hear the complaint about it being too violent (sexualized violence I believe was the term I read), so if people don't like watching violence between human and robot how can you justify spending money on Jim Lampley ejaculating over or giving fellatio to guys actually committing violence on each other.

Comment

This writer is severely dellusional.

HBO has been chopping boxing budgets every year since 1999.

Seeing how the ratings have TANKED this year for HBO Boxing, he somehow expects HBO to dump more money into this?

Embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
          I'd also rather put the money on Game on Throne types than boxing if I were them. Just imagine how many people benefit in movie productions? Hundreds. In boxing majority of the budget goes to one fighter for each main card.
          But HBO can make a lot of money with one PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            But HBO can make a lot of money with one PPV.
            More delusion...

Comment

HBO has aired 18 fights this year (including 4 replays from PPV), only 4 have broken 1M viewers. Furthermore, only 1 broke 1.25M viewers.

Boxing is dead. HBO needs to drop it like a bad habit.

Comment

Some ppl are really dumb. This is clearly Haymon's fault. He changed boxing, but not in a good way. He and Floyd elevated the motto of "bums for big bucks" and created a mentality where now boxers don't want to be in competitive matches. He destroyed Showtime Boxing which was a network that put up competitive matches and created his PBC brand which has been a failure. He hasn't created a single star and has burned through more than enough cash to feed the hungry in India.

With the huge talent pool he has you would think the guy would have taken over, but his ratings are abysmal considering the fact that it's free tv.

Now back to the HBO topic. The idiots in HBO allowed a criminal like haymon to take their money and talent, all the while having to pay 1,000,000 bucks so bums like Rodriguez would fight Ward. HBO slowly dropped the budget seeing that ratings weren't reflecting the investment but failed to get rid of the cancer known as Haymon before it was too late. Now they aren't interested in boxing because they can't get the best to fight the best due to Haymon owning half the pool of boxing talent.

Say what you want about King, and Arum, but they got the big fights done.

But no... PBC and Haymon came to save boxing... long live "bums for big bucks" and overpaying for financial disasters. I swear I can't believe how the uneducated are allowed to vote. That's why US has such marvelous, competitive , and intelligent people running the nation...that's why people like Hillary and Trump are your presidential candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
                  This writer is severely dellusional.

HBO has been chopping boxing budgets every year since 1999.

Seeing how the ratings have TANKED this year for HBO Boxing, he somehow expects HBO to dump more money into this?

Embarrassing
                  It's Steve Kim who isn't even allowed at Showtime or PBC events, he needs HBO to make a comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    You're talking about merchandising? I didn't think about that part. That is a good investment.
                    I think it brings a lot of value to HBO Family and paying up for Sesame Street is way more efficient than trying to build a brand that could compete with Sesame Street. Especially since the new episodes will eventually appear on PBS so they won't run into the problem of a bunch of kids not knowing who the **** Big Bird is in 10 years thus killing their investment in the property, as is the case with HBO boxing.

HBO boxing could learn from that deal to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by CaneloMaidana View Post
                      It's Steve Kim who isn't even allowed at Showtime or PBC events, he needs HBO to make a comeback.
                      Well that's embarrassing

Comment

Working...
                      X