Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skillwise, is Mikey Garcia better than Juan Manuel Marquez ever was?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skillwise, is Mikey Garcia better than Juan Manuel Marquez ever was?

Marquez is 1 of my favorites ever but after Saturday, I truly think Garcia is above Marquez in the skill department, main reason is footwork. Everything else as far as boxing skill is about even.

Thoughts?

Mickey needs to fight Loma, Linares, Josh Taylor then we will see. Ester was never that good he should have lost his last fight.

Comment

Its too early to tell. I think not. Mikey is very good though. I would love to see Garcia vs. Pacquiao right now or Garcia vs. Lomachenko. Mikey is in his prime and he has become a showman.

Comment

Not even close, don't even bring up in the same sentence.

Comment

His defense and footwork may be better, but JMM's combination punching was second to none. Not many would counter with combinations but JMM sure did.

Comment

Mikey is deffinetly creeping in on the greatest *Mex/American fighters of all-time. Oscar is still the man in that dept. Tho.

(*Mex/American)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              Marquez is 1 of my favorites ever but after Saturday, I truly think Garcia is above Marquez in the skill department, main reason is footwork. Everything else as far as boxing skill is about even.

Thoughts?
              Mikey has better defender Marquez has been dropped a lot of times

Comment

Not a chance IMO. His offense is far more predictable and repetitive than Marquez'. Marquez had amazing punch selection and combinations whereas Mikey is far more plodding and basic. His right hand is slow but I think he has a better left hook than Marquez. Both are accurate but Marquez is sharper and did it against a much higher caliber and variety of styles. Garcia has been very selective with his opposition.

Marquez had excellent use of combination punches and counter punches. Garcia is not near that level and as far as feet Marquez had far the better footwork too.

Comment

I'm a fan of both, and more of a Mikey fan actually.

If they fought at lightweight, when Marquez KOed Juan Diaz, all being equal, I'd pick Marquez anyday. Mikey is a very solid fighter, but his greatness has yet to be established.

Beating Spence would be great!

Comment

Mikey has the better lead right and straight right.
                    JMM has the better cross counter (right hand over opponent jab) and overhand right.
                    JMM also has better uppercuts

Defensively Mikey is better at blocking. Pure fundamental defense and slightly better head movement.

JMM relied more on parrying rather than blocking and it worked well for him from outside range with his counterpunching skills. But I always thought he had **** head movement.

Comment

Working...
                    X