Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo winning was best for the sport of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be the man, you have to beat the man and that’s exactly what Canelo did this past weekend. He asserted himself not just as the king of the middleweight division but the face of boxing.

Comment

I feel that Canelo has a bit of a hold over boxing that isn't too good for the sport. He's the face of boxing and him winning is good for the guys making money from the sport for sure.

The weak ban he got (more a fight delay than a ban), sandwiched between two somewhat controversial wins makes him look somewhat untouchable.

GGG was scored the winner of both fights by the majority of media, pundits etc. I think it would of been good for the sport for the winner of the fight to be the guy who deserved it. GGG getting one of the 6 scorecards over 2 fights..that's not a good look for boxing IMO. Stuff like that will turn people off eventually.

Other MWs going into the fight expecting not to get a fair crack isn't the best situation.

That said, Canelo is certainly good for the sport. He's one of the best fighters around today. He's probably in his prime right now, has many years ahead of him and is a guy willing to fight the best. So that's a major plus for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        Boxers and athletes and humans age at the same rate they always have and 32 is just as old as it always was. If 32 is so young why did your beloved Andre Ward and Bradley retire at 33? Some of the good boxers started pretty late so they become champion at an older age. They used to start younger and become champions at a younger age but they still aged at the same rate.
        Because they didn't want to fight anymore. And fighters are fighting less now that's why. The fighters I named that are over 30 won't reach 45 to 50 fights in their career. That used to be common for great fighters.

Comment

Takes performance enhancing drugs, pays off judges........"It's best for the sport".

Comment

its always the best when cheaters win. i dont want to clean up boxing! i am the anti floyd

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              Boxers and athletes and humans age at the same rate they always have and 32 is just as old as it always was. If 32 is so young why did your beloved Andre Ward and Bradley retire at 33? Some of the good boxers started pretty late so they become champion at an older age. They used to start younger and become champions at a younger age but they still aged at the same rate.
              How the fk is that true, in 1900 the average life expectancy of men was like 40. I think we've come a long way in delaying the aging process with nutrition and fitness advances and of course healthcare.

Comment

Working...
              X