Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be surprised if GGG actually outboxes Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
    Like I said I think Canelo feared something that simply was not there, I think there will be a difference this time around
    I was just pointing out the IQ difference you were talking about as well. I don’t think one is much higher than the other

Canelo albeit cautious fought the right fight, just didn’t threw more

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
      GGG's willingness to get hit and use constant pressure gives people that impression that he's not skilled but I feel like GGG's boxing skills are still really overlooked. People like to keep thinking that he's this face first, come forward plodder with no boxing IQ (even though he's had an extensive amateur background) when really he's a skilled, calculating boxer-puncher like Joe Louis.

Would it shock you if GGG actually breaks down Canelo using technical skills? Wouldn't really surprise me.
      Nope. Canelo is a bit over rated with his skills.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
        He already did that unless you think it was an actual draw. I don't...
        Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
        No, he outboxed him the first time around.
        Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
        no, he did it last time.
        Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
        to me outboxing someone means landing more shots on them then theyve landed on you. thats what golovkin did to canelo first time round. i think many people seem to equate 'outboxing' to fighting on the back foot.
        Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
        Thats what he did first time haha. And will again im sure
        Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
        He’s done it before and he will do it again by a wider margin. Canelo will throw flashy combos but Golovkin will keep on him, jabbing away and rack up a UD
        Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        This thread is real confusing. I like everyone else thought ggg already outboxed nelo
        Ggg didn't show as many ways of avoiding getting hit though. Nell was like trying showing his full repertoire of how he avoids getting hit. And he had to as Ggg was throwing leather
        Originally posted by mathed View Post
        He outboxed her last time. This time it won't be the same type of fight. GGG will crush clenela to the body early and get the stoppage in 9-12. I think it may actually come sooner than that after the weighin, maybe rds 4-8.
        I can't believe how ignorant and misinformed most of you are. He might have outboxed him in a generic way, as in its a boxing match and you think he won, thus "outboxed" him.

But that is not how we use that term. We are talking about the nice stuff, the skillful stuff, the technical stuff, and not in a million years is Golovkin going to come out on top in that sort of contest with Canelo, nor did he in the last fight. Whenever he stood off, or the pace slowed Canelo had thinking time and used his superior hand speed, skills, and counter punching.

Golovkin used pressure, a great jab, and size. He outworked Canelo, he didn't outbox him in the slightest. So to answer the TS, yes I would be very surprised. If anything, I think he needs to go the other way, he needs to start earlier, sell out more, and take more risks. If he can start the process of wearing Canelo down earlier, he might even be able to stop him late. Try and drown him, he could get picked off and/or hurt in the process but if he doesn't want to go to the cards, and wants a conclusive ending than this is the only answer.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          I can't believe how ignorant and misinformed most of you are. He might have outboxed him in a generic way, as in its a boxing match and you think he won, thus "outboxed" him.

But that is not how we use that term. We are talking about the nice stuff, the skillful stuff, the technical stuff, and not in a million years is Golovkin going to come out on top in that sort of contest with Canelo, nor did he in the last fight. Whenever he stood off, or the pace slowed Canelo had thinking time and used his superior hand speed, skills, and counter punching.

Golovkin used pressure, a great jab, and size. He outworked Canelo, he didn't outbox him in the slightest. So to answer the TS, yes I would be very surprised. If anything, I think he needs to go the other way, he needs to start earlier, sell out more, and take more risks. If he can start the process of wearing Canelo down earlier, he might even be able to stop him late. Try and drown him, he could get picked off and/or hurt in the process but if he doesn't want to go to the cards, and wants a conclusive ending than this is the only answer.
          You don’t need to dance around the ring to “outbox” an opponent. Look at Roberto Duran, one of the slickest boxers of all time and he was on you like a pit bull.
          Golovkin fainted, he maintained distance majority of the time with the jab, cut the ring off at times. Switched up his shots to keep Canelo guessing.
          The only “ignorant” one is you

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
            Nope. Canelo is a bit over rated with his skills.
            He always has been. But then again, it should be easy to look good against guys when you bring them up a weight or two.

Comment

You don’t need to dance around the ring to “outbox” an opponent. Look at Roberto Duran, one of the slickest boxers of all time and he was on you like a pit bull.
              Golovkin fainted, he maintained distance majority of the time with the jab, cut the ring off at times. Switched up his shots to keep Canelo guessing.
              Your example is poor, Duran and Golovkin are incomparible, Duran could throw pull counters, catch and shoots, incredible footwork, head movement, defence, which he displayed at an insanely high level through multiple weight divisions.
              And yes there have been great boxers down the years who were aggressive with it, Golovkin isn't one of them. He has above average boxing skills, with A level power and stamina, and chin, those last 3 qualities are fundamental to his style. Canelo is a very good boxer, with less stamina, less size and also a good chin, which is why they are so well matched.

Golovkins footwork was good, his jab was excellent, I guess he threw a lot of variety, didn't land with a lot of it mind you. He had patchy success at best in the centre of the ring, and at distance, he greatest success came from the pressure he was able to apply, and sheer volume. In reality since Golovkin has stepped up in level he hasn't been able to land much beyond the jab with any consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                Your example is poor, Duran and Golovkin are incomparible, Duran could throw pull counters, catch and shoots, incredible footwork, head movement, defence, which he displayed at an insanely high level through multiple weight divisions.
                And yes there have been great boxers down the years who were aggressive with it, Golovkin isn't one of them. He has above average boxing skills, with A level power and stamina, and chin, those last 3 qualities are fundamental to his style. Canelo is a very good boxer, with less stamina, less size and also a good chin, which is why they are so well matched.

Golovkins footwork was good, his jab was excellent, I guess he threw a lot of variety, didn't land with a lot of it mind you. He had patchy success at best in the centre of the ring, and at distance, he greatest success came from the pressure he was able to apply, and sheer volume. In reality since Golovkin has stepped up in level he hasn't been able to land much beyond the jab with any consistency.
                This is one hell of a post.

Comment

spot on.

it's like when people say Amir Khan has never been outboxed by anyone, just stopped. surely timing your opponent and knocking him out is outboxing them, as timing is a big part of boxing. if you get timed and stopped, you got outboxed.

same with GGG and Canelo. Canelo did not dictate anything in the ring last time. GGG forced the pace and pressure, they are also attributes and a style of boxing which was more effective in that fight. so yeah, Canelo got outboxed.

People get confused and think looking flashier means you outbox someone.

Comment

Why would it be surprising to see him outbox canelo again?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
                      You're not just outboxing your opponent if you're just boxing on the backfoot, counter occassionally and have some good defense. By outboxing your opponent you need to out think your opponent and have the better strategy/gameplan. Make the guy do something he doesnt want to do.

I swear 70% of this forum thinks if you have good defense and you are boxing on the backfoot you are automatically outboxing your opponent. Its Complete BS
                      Post of the decade...

Comment

Working...
                      X