No announcement yet.

Are promoters freezing out PBC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Jacobs was his A-side who fought on HBO. Khan was another one of his A-side fighters who fought on HBO. Answer the questions I posted in the topic.
    DJ is a clear B-side to GGG, same goes to Khan. Now, my answer stays the same, Haymon is responsible to get his A-side boxers competitive fights. not the other way around.

Comment

Does PBC want the B-side fighters from other promoters?
      This. Do they want to risk their guys losing to someone else's guy?

Also, since the PBC is basically just Showtime boxing now, with very limited slots, do they want to give one of the few slots they have to someone else's fighter when Al Haymon has a few hundred guys signed to him not getting fights? Probably not.

I wish promoters worked together more than they do, but it's not like they all don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        I suspect that they are trying to freeze PBC out.

It's why HBO's schedule has been so crappy lately and also why Bob Arum has had to resort to making his own PPV's.

They are trying to do business without Haymon fighters even if it means putting out a below average product.
        I thought Bob was doing PPV's cuz he & Nelson don't see eye to eye very often.

And HBO's been dropping their budget since the f#cking 00's. I don't understand how people are buying the bs that HBO is having some sort of new disconnect from boxing, is cutting back for this merger or PBC is causing them problems. HBO has been moving away from boxing a lil more year after year for damn near 20 years if you merely look into it.

As to the OP I think the move is to freeze out PBC cuz PBC is against everything boxing is about with these promoters who've been playing the same game since the Ali days. So of course they are dealing with PBC as little as possible cuz if fighters learn they don't need promoters or could control more of their own destiny by dropping their promoter it f#cks up the current paradigm promoters have taken decades to setup to work just as it does today.

So if that reality shifts promoters will have to change how they do business &/or some of them will go outta business cuz there will be less profits to go around. So its not so much a PBC thing as a don't wanna die or have to think up new ways to maximize our upside thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
          You mentioned Jacobs and Khan...Dominic Wade might count as another one. I doubt that Russell was under Haymon when he fought Loma.

The thing is you have guys like DiBella and Tom Brown who won't work with those other guys as well and they fall within the PBC/Haymon umbrella
          Diaz is signed to DiBella. He's fighting Crawford. Dibella is Andy Lee's U.S. promoter. He just fought on K2's undercard. What are you talking about?

Comment

British promoters dont have a problem working with them

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              As to the OP I think the move is to freeze out PBC cuz PBC is against everything boxing is about with these promoters who've been playing the same game since the Ali days. So of course they are dealing with PBC as little as possible cuz if fighters learn they don't need promoters or could control more of their own destiny by dropping their promoter it f#cks up the current paradigm promoters have taken decades to setup to work just as it does today.
              ^^^^^This right here!

Comment

Originally posted by R-C View Post
                DJ is a clear B-side to GGG, same goes to Khan. Now, my answer stays the same, Haymon is responsible to get his A-side boxers competitive fights. not the other way around.
                I didn't say Jacobs was an A-side to GGG did I? Jacobs was a PBC A-side who headlined his own shows and got top billing. GGG is an A-side but he's a B-side to Canelo. Do you get it?

Don't comment if you can't follow the topic because it takes to much time explaining stuff to slow people like you.

Comment

This is like when HBO banned Haymon fighters and everybody was ok with that. Why be ok with a network stopping fights?
                  I don't recall HBO ever banning any promoter.

Schaefer had the perception of being mistreated by HBO (much like Arum having issues occasionally with them, and who doesn't?) It culminated with Richard taking all GBP fighters (now Haymon's) with him to Showtime. Canelo vs Lopez was supposed to be on HBO, but HBO had another fight in mind, if I remember correctly. And that did it for Schaefer.

In other words, Schaefer banned PBC fighters with HBO.
                  Last edited by rickJen; 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

This is a trend I'm noticing. These promoters will use PBC B-side fighters to fight their A-side's but they aren't even sending their B-sides to fight PBC A-side's. There is no reason Linares shouldn't be fighting Garcia. Or Bradley & Vargas should be out this long when they could be fighting PBC welterweights.

It's not even really a secret they're doing it. Luis Ortiz left Golden Boy because they wouldn't let him fight Wilder, that's on record in court.

This is like when HBO banned Haymon fighters and everybody was ok with that. Why be ok with a network stopping fights?

How many fights can you name where a Top Rank, Golden Boy, K2, or Main Events fighter fought a PBC fighter on a PBC card?

How many fights can you name where a PBC fighter fought a Top Rank, Golden Boy, K2, or Main Events fighter on HBO?
                    actually you have it competely backwards. Haymon is happy to use his lower level fighters as cannon fodder on HBO because he doesn't have dates for them.

Haymon doesn't want to risk his A side fighters vs other promoters guys. He likes to keep it all in house unless he can get easy b side opponents. The reason why you dont see guys like Tim Bradley or Jessie Vargas on PBC cards is that besides Showtime PBC almost has no dates or money left so he needs to use whatever precious few dates and money he has left to showcase his own guys.

Why do you think we are almost in June and guys like Mares, coming off a great win, Jermall Charlo, J Rock or Cuellar still haven't fought when they fought over 6 months ago. He has too many guys and showtime only has so many dates. NBC and ESPN are all but gone. Besides the small low budget cards on bounce and fs1 they have a quarterly fox card and thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      NO ONE wants to have their A side or name B sides or future prospects that could become either of those to lose out of house lol. Or at least 99% of the time they don't. You can sometimes make it happen, but its a super rarity.

That's why the whole sport of boxing is always in some version of a stalemate cuz x won't work with y who won't work with z who won't work with x & all sorts of silly ass sh^t like that.
                      Agreed. all sides should blamed.

Comment

Working...
                      X