Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can trimming down weight while weightlifting to improve sheer physical strength...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can trimming down weight while weightlifting to improve sheer physical strength...

go hand-in-hand?

I'm just wondering since I'm currently getting back into amateur boxing competition again and I'm trying to drop down from 210lbs to 165lbs in just a few months while I do some yoga(to be more flexible and laxed with body for lateral movement), plyometrics(to improve agility), and weight-training(with some degree of powerlifting) on the weekends, I'm just not so sure if they all go hand-in-hand since weightlifting to increase strength to lift heavier often usually affects cardio, agility and overall fast-twitch muscle in a negative way while weightlifting can also bulk you up(which I'm not aiming to do).

I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter when I weight train or anything. Just plan on doing it to improve sheer strength and use it as an advantage in boxing.

Originally posted by JLGLeo1995 View Post
    go hand-in-hand?

I'm just wondering since I'm currently getting back into amateur boxing competition again and I'm trying to drop down from 210lbs to 165lbs in just a few months while I do some yoga(to be more flexible and laxed with body for lateral movement), plyometrics(to improve agility), and weight-training(with some degree of powerlifting) on the weekends, I'm just not so sure if they all go hand-in-hand since weightlifting to increase strength to lift heavier often usually affects cardio, agility and overall fast-twitch muscle in a negative way while weightlifting can also bulk you up(which I'm not aiming to do).

I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter when I weight train or anything. Just plan on doing it to improve sheer strength and use it as an advantage in boxing.
    I got much stronger when lifting while boxing. In a 2 year period I gained only 8 lbs. I was 16,17 when this was going on so getting bigger was just happening anyway. Just do it and watch what happens...….Rockin'

Comment

I would say if you did nothing more than maintain your poundages and work on your speed, form, etc. in boxing your POWER will increase and that's what you are really aiming for.

Comment

Yeah I dropped from 232 to 167 and I feel much stronger but you have to lift more than you do cardio cause cardio kills gain s

Comment

You will get stronger if you are going from exercise vs being bigger and not exercising. The strength of muscles and size aren't always directly proportional, depending how you work them.

Comment

theres absolutely no problem with doing weights exercises as a boxer, you arent suddenly going to turn into arnie and unless you are in a calorie surplus you probably arent going to put on barely any at all.. and maybe im wrong but i cant imagine theres much research out there saying that it affects agility and cardio either, just one of them myths that seems to keep going and going. ricky hatton used to use an actual bodybuilder to run his strength and conditioning sessions and he was one of the fittest boxers there was

Comment

Originally posted by JLGLeo1995 View Post
              go hand-in-hand?

If your under 21, yea

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                ricky hatton used to use an actual bodybuilder to run his strength and conditioning sessions and he was one of the fittest boxers there was
                Wonder who he used for this post-camp binges of women, drugs and booze. I wish I was part of his team..

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Wonder who he used for this post-camp binges of women, drugs and booze. I wish I was part of his team..
                  Probably Princess Naseem!

Comment

This is my boxing transformation. 7 months apart.

Comment

Working...
                    X