Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here making money off of stock market?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a link to my stock market advice thread..

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...=644562&page=7

I have averaged about 11% every year for since the mid 90s

The best advice I can give beginners is open an E-trade account or something similar, I personally use Charles schwab. Then invest into low cost index funds. Your first 10-20 grand should go towards that. After that continue to invest in it but you can also see blue chip stocks like Apple, pg, Disney, and buy when they dip

Use dollar cost averaging when buying into your stock index, which means if you want to invest 7k don't do it all at once, but do it monthly or every 2 weeks and buy 1k worth until the 7k is gone. Doing this into an index over a long period of time like 20-25 years minimum, you will have a small fortune. If your 30 years old, by the time you 65 it will be worth a mind boggling amount, especially if you always reinvest dividends in a DRIP program..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Here is a link to my stock market advice thread..

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...=644562&page=7

I have averaged about 11% every year for since the mid 90s

The best advice I can give beginners is open an E-trade account or something similar, I personally use Charles schwab. Then invest into low cost index funds. Your first 10-20 grand should go towards that. After that continue to invest in it but you can also see blue chip stocks like Apple, pg, Disney, and buy when they dip

Use dollar cost averaging when buying into your stock index, which means if you want to invest 7k don't do it all at once, but do it monthly or every 2 weeks and buy 1k worth until the 7k is gone. Doing this into an index over a long period of time like 20-25 years minimum, you will have a small fortune. If your 30 years old, by the time you 65 it will be worth a mind boggling amount, especially if you always reinvest dividends in a DRIP program..
      Dollar cost average on mutual funds is a waste of time. Mutual funds is a long term investment so it's ok to invest $7k one time if you're gonna leave it there for many, many years

Comment

The stock market in on a terror lately, and has basically done nothing but go up since 2009 with a few stagnant periods..

Seems like everything is trading near highs. I have been laying lows, enjoying great gains from companies I bought years ago in Jpm, Apple, fizz,etc... but right now not really buying anything unless a major player slides. I only buy the downtrodden or undervalued.. just been dollar cost averaging into some index funds in my IRA and brokerage account

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
          Dollar cost average on mutual funds is a waste of time. Mutual funds is a long term investment so it's ok to invest $7k one time if you're gonna leave it there for many, many years
          All data suggests otherwise...

If 7k is your total investment, it's stupid to put it all in at once..

If your are going to invest 70k in a year, then yeah 7k at once is fine..

You are going to miss being able to drive down your price point when buying on dips..

Spreading out investment, minimizes risk, drives down price point, and basically gives you the best opportunity no matter if it's bear or bull market.

Comment

All data suggests otherwise...

If 7k is your total investment, it's stupid to put it all in at once..

If your are going to invest 70k in a year, then yeah 7k at once is fine..

You are going to miss being able to drive down your price point when buying on dips..

Spreading out investment, minimizes risk, drives down price point, and basically gives you the best opportunity no matter if it's bear or bull market.
            You are wrong.

http://business.time.com/2012/11/15/is-dollar-cost-averaging-dumb/

Comment

That's bull****,,, I don't care what they say, and they really didn't even say that. maybe on individual stocks but not long term index fund

If we each invest once a year 10k, and I use dollar cost averaging and you just buy all at once, I'm going to have better price points most likely amd be able to buy same stock with same amount money but be able to buy more of it due to lower price points since I was able to buy on dips.. thus giving me a far greater return.

investing your total amount at once is beyond stupid
              Last edited by Sugar Adam Ali; 03-04-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

The best advice I can give beginners is open an E-trade account or something similar, I personally use Charles schwab.
                Why don't you use &/or like Robinhood? Idk what Schwab offers, but I'd definitely suggest RH over Etrade or any of those $7.95 per trade type deal sites. If you're just some random cat with under 10k to invest or wanna dollar cost avg, like you brought up, over several weeks or years I'd say RH is the superior & cheaper method to do that, but you for sure got more experience than me so you might know something I don't with all this.

Comment

That's bull****,,, I don't care what they say.. maybe on individual stocks but not long term index fund

If we each invest once a year 10k, and I use dollar cost averaging and you just buy all at once, I'm going to have better price points most likely amd be able to buy same stock with same amount money but be able to buy more of it due to lower price points since I was able to buy on dips.. thus giving me a far greater return.

investing your total amount at once is beyond stupid
                  You are smarter than time magazine. Ok.

Just Google dollar cost averaging mutual funds, there many articles against it

Comment

You are smarter than time magazine. Ok.
                    Read the ****ing article..

"Of course in simulations cost averaging beat lump sums"

"Lump sum only works if you have diversification and other asset allocation classes"

You read the headline, I actually read the article

And yes I'm probably a lot damn smarter than the hack that is writing this "shock" factor article.. especially at investments.

I guess you and this author are smarter than the millions of money managers for pensions and funds that use this method and have for over a century

Comment

Vanguard did a study on this. Lump sum beat dollar cost averaging. Google it. Lump sum vs dollar cost averaging vanguard

Comment

Working...
                      X