No announcement yet.

''I was afraid of Sam Langford''-Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ''I was afraid of Sam Langford''-Jack Dempsey

“The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.” -- Jack Dempsey

Originally posted by Bolo Punch View Post
    “The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.” -- Jack Dempsey

When did he say this?

I think he must have been referring to the times long before he was champion. I dont think many would have picked 1919-1926 Langford over Dempsey......and certainly not by knockout. The poor guy was getting on a bit and his vision was deteriorating.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolo Punch View Post
      i agree with Sugarj... Dempsey was a very humble man as these articles show, Yet in 1918 Dempsey fought Fred Fulton and 5 months later Langford fought Fulton, the report of the 2 fights is in the 3rd link. Langford also fought Fulton in 1917.

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...+dempsey&hl=en

http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?...+dempsey&hl=en

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...0596&cat=boxer
      Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        When did he say this?

I think he must have been referring to the times long before he was champion. I dont think many would have picked 1919-1926 Langford over Dempsey......and certainly not by knockout. The poor guy was getting on a bit and his vision was deteriorating.
        While I will ignore Sonny's rant about langford knowing full well his ignorance about Sam, I will tell you mate what happened as I know it

What Jack said was
        “The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn't fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”

In June 1916, the 21-year-old Dempsey quickly declined an opportunity to face an aging Langford. He was right in a sense because Langford at that time was very exp.d and too much for the undergrown Jack back then. He declined the fight and while rememering that incident made this famous quote in his autobiography, no humbleness but the truth. He had also climbed out of the ring when asked to fight Joe Jeanette around the same period who Sam had KO'd earlier.

As for the Fred Fulton fight which Sonny ignorantly posts, I would like to state this

1) It was in that Fulton fight that Sam reportedly lost his vision, he had trouble with the other eye from before

2)He was far past his prime back then. By the logic of Sonny if A beat B and B beat C , A> C, which is nothing but absolute idiocy in boxing.

Foreman destroyed Frazier in two rounds who had beaten Ali earlier. So Foreman should have beat Ali easy right? Guess what happened there?

Foreman beat Ali did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
          While I will ignore Sonny's rant about langford knowing full well his ignorance about Sam, I will tell you mate what happened as I know it

What Jack said was
          “The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn't fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”

In June 1916, the 21-year-old Dempsey quickly declined an opportunity to face an aging Langford. He was right in a sense because Langford at that time was very exp.d and too much for the undergrown Jack back then. He declined the fight and while rememering that incident made this famous quote in his autobiography, no humbleness but the truth. He had also climbed out of the ring when asked to fight Joe Jeanette around the same period who Sam had KO'd earlier.

As for the Fred Fulton fight which Sonny ignorantly posts, I would like to state this

1) It was in that Fulton fight that Sam reportedly lost his vision, he had trouble with the other eye from before

2)He was far past his prime back then. By the logic of Sonny if A beat B and B beat C , A> C, which is nothing but absolute idiocy in boxing.

Foreman destroyed Frazier in two rounds who had beaten Ali earlier. So Foreman should have beat Ali easy right? Guess what happened there?

Foreman beat Ali did he?
          As some guys are no doubt going to be hurt

"I think Sam Langford was the greatest fighter we ever had. In 1916 I came here and had a couple of fights and won them. I was managed by a fellow named John the Barber. After winning these two fights he said, "I got a good fight for you." I said, "Who is it?" He says, "Sam Langford." I said, "Not me! Goodbye!" He was a great fighter and I didn't have the experience to fight a man like that. He was a hell of a puncher, never been licked, so why should I get my brains knocked out for nothing? Even at my best I don't know whether I could lick him or not. He was a good man, good puncher, rough, tough.'"

Jack Dempsey 1970.

Jack had a very different view of Sam than some of his fans. I have read about Sam from the olden days, and I saw that in his days he was very respected more so than he is today.
          Last edited by Greatest1942; 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Dempsey was also afraid of Willard. He used that fear to spur him on. I'm satisfied that Langford would have been the best fighter that Dempsey would have fought (in a prime for prime type scenario, which was impossible) outside of possibly Tunney, who beat him of course.

Wills was better still, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by McGrain View Post
              Dempsey was also afraid of Willard. He used that fear to spur him on. I'm satisfied that Langford would have been the best fighter that Dempsey would have fought (in a prime for prime type scenario, which was impossible) outside of possibly Tunney, who beat him of course.

Wills was better still, I think.
              At heavy its hard to argue otherwise, though near their primes the series was pretty even.

And as for Jack he barely fought a black fighter, the only one he fought broke his ribs.

Now don't get me wrong I favour Jack against Willis, Sam and Jeanette, but he never fought them...It becomes hard to accept this, however it is as it is.
              Last edited by Greatest1942; 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

At heavy its hard to argue otherwise, though in their primes the series was pretty even.

And as for Jack he barely fought a black fighter, the only one he fought broke his ribs.

Now don't get me wrong I favour Jack against Willis, Sam and Jeanette, but he never fought them...It becomes hard to accept this, however it is as it is.

I think Demspey also ducked Greb, although it's taken me some time to come to that conclusion.

I think Wills may have been pre-prime in the original tustles with Langford, peaking after Langford trickled off his. For all they met they may not have met at their respective best. Wills was clear though that Sam was the best he ever met.

Comment

Originally posted by McGrain View Post
                  I think Demspey also ducked Greb, although it's taken me some time to come to that conclusion.

I think Wills may have been pre-prime in the original tustles with Langford, peaking after Langford trickled off his. For all they met they may not have met at their respective best. Wills was clear though that Sam was the best he ever met.
                  Yes greb-Jack is quite clear particularly after the Gibbons fight. Greb beats gibbons and Jack faces Gibbons.

Yes Willis acknowledged that Sam was the best and considering Sam and Willis's prime we can safely say that their primes did not coincide.

Comment

Yes greb-Jack is quite clear particularly after the Gibbons fight. Greb beats gibbons and Jack faces Gibbons.

Yes Willis acknowledged that Sam was the best and considering Sam and Willis's prime we can safely say that their primes did not coincide.
                    “I fought most of the heavyweights, including Dempsey and Johnson, but Sam could stretch a guy colder than any of them. When Langford hit me it felt like someone slugged me with a baseball bat. But strangely enough it didn’t hurt, it was like taking ether, you just went to sleep.” --Jim Flynn

He fought everyone from Sam to Jack Dempsey and picked Sam.

Comment

Working...
                    X