Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing against Muay Thai guys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muay Thai fighters (some of them anyways) are freaks lol.

Anybody ever seen Buakaw Por Pramuk training or fighting?

That dude would homicide the average fighter.

Comment

Just a couple of questions:

Are there not classes just limited to padwork? That's probably the best place to start if you're a beginner.

What protection were you wearing? Did they give you leg protection and other gear? Thai boxing is rough and you don't want to be taking it lightly.

Kicks are tougher to learn than punches as they seem somewhat unnatural. It could take about a year to even get them half right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
        Muay Thai fighters (some of them anyways) are freaks lol.

Anybody ever seen Buakaw Por Pramuk training or fighting?

That dude would homicide the average fighter.
        Leg kicks are brutal. I guess you could say that they're not always that practical outside the ring, especially if you're wearing jeans and boots etc. But the knees and elbows make up for that. It's a very attack orientated martial art.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
          The Plum is what some people refer to as, "The Thai CLinch." Meaning an opponent has both their hands behind your neck/head in order to pull you down before sending knees to your body or head. By saying I don't mind them locking me up, it allows me to get in close enough to fire off on their body. That is, of course making sure my position's right so I don't eat a knee... Because a knee can do A LOT more damage than a punch, not always true, but many times it is.
          that's weird, i'd never heard it called that before, though i used to train in muay thai and be really into it before i got into boxing.
          thanks for the info!

Comment

i box and kickbox so i can help you a little bit,first of all you have to close the range behind your jab or the front kick (push kick),easy kick to learn,soon as you close in then its time to go to work,soon as you finish you have to get out of range,most muay thai fighters stand straight with hands held high but they dont cover their face,a fast popping jab always gets them but you have to be on your toes or you will get kicked hard,leg kicks are a killer.
            stick to the basics nothing fancy,lead leg front kick always followed by a straight right and then throw what ever punches you are comfortable with.soon as you finish then out of his kicking range,let him walk towards just before he gets in his kicking range step in with double jab and back him up,then move out again.
            you have to learn the kicks just counter his moves but if you use the basic kick it can throw him off and give you some sort of advantage.remember when you kick make sure you throw your punches straight away or he will counter you with a kick every time because that's what comes natural to him. no single shots or you will pay
            if you cant land the first kick on him,throw it anyway and think about landing the second kick,so the first will be like a feint and then boom land with the second,work work work and get out

goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
              i box and kickbox so i can help you a little bit,first of all you have to close the range behind your jab or the front kick (push kick),easy kick to learn,soon as you close in then its time to go to work,soon as you finish you have to get out of range,most muay thai fighters stand straight with hands held high but they dont cover their face,a fast popping jab always gets them but you have to be on your toes or you will get kicked hard,leg kicks are a killer.
              stick to the basics nothing fancy,lead leg front kick always followed by a straight right and then throw what ever punches you are comfortable with.soon as you finish then out of his kicking range,let him walk towards just before he gets in his kicking range step in with double jab and back him up,then move out again.
              you have to learn the kicks just counter his moves but if you use the basic kick it can throw him off and give you some sort of advantage.remember when you kick make sure you throw your punches straight away or he will counter you with a kick every time because that's what comes natural to him. no single shots or you will pay
              if you cant land the first kick on him,throw it anyway and think about landing the second kick,so the first will be like a feint and then boom land with the second,work work work and get out

goodluck
              yes...basicly this...if its more a traditional Thai fighting a boxer has an easier chance...and let me note...i spar thai guys all the time just w my boxing....traditional stance makes thai more limited..its harder for them to b super quick specially moving backwards...so keep them moving back..stay the aggressor...the real thai is tought as rough and tuff stand there and kick the liven hell outta each other back and forth...dont play that game with them..use quick angles left and right...remember a kick takes longer to pull of than a punch..so stay jus in range and when u see the leg move for the kick..step back soon as the leg passes...take the quick slide in for the right hand or whatever combo...knees are def the thing to watch out for...

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
                Just a couple of questions:

Are there not classes just limited to padwork? That's probably the best place to start if you're a beginner.

What protection were you wearing? Did they give you leg protection and other gear? Thai boxing is rough and you don't want to be taking it lightly.

Kicks are tougher to learn than punches as they seem somewhat unnatural. It could take about a year to even get them half right.
                Yeah, the class is a lot of drilling and padwork, so we're working a lot of technique as well. But he knew that I had done some Muay thai before and I that I Box, so he wanted me to spar with the group. We has mouthguards, headgear, and shinguards, so we were well equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post

goodluck
                  Good stuff man. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X