No announcement yet.

If freedom was a "God given right" there wouldn't be people in jail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dro View Post
    the reading comprehension here is absurd. I'm not opposed against jail, or criminals being locked up. This thread is intended to discuss the bull**** mythical perception of "God given rights"
    Well, I was simply pointing out the fact that you said it's a privilege, and that I disagreed with that.

Comment

is that what i'm saying?

If liberty is philosophical (which I think it is) then why is it emphasized as a "God given right"

stop saying "God given"

instead say "Human right"

Liberty is to be free of from arbitrary government control....as in the government should have no say so in how you live your life.

Freedom on the other hand is a more generic term that is directed towards the things we feel we should be free to do. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, etc.

Comment

Your obviously going TOO deep into the "God" aspect of it.

Its the wording they used, and had nothing to actually do with God

Natural rights is the best term

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
          stop saying "God given"

instead say "Human right"

Liberty is to be free of from arbitrary government control....as in the government should have no say so in how you live your life.

Freedom on the other hand is a more generic term that is directed towards the things we feel we should be free to do. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, etc.
          Yes sir....

Comment

liberty and freedom vice versa...

same ****.
            so they are.

lets look at it this way. when was the last time you got something you prayed for? when was the last time you got something you worked for.

our god given rights have nothing to do with america. every one in the world has the god given right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness every living person in the world that is what it is to be one of gods creatures that is what it is to be human.

some societys dont feel you deserve these inherient rights and they put laws inplace to restrict your rights. some societys hold these rights as sacred and do everything to protect them.

sooo why are people in jail here in america? probly because they restriced some ones rights to life liberty or the pursuit of happiness.

soooo that there are people in jail it shows not only that all men have the god given rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness but that the american society does its best in protecting those rights by putting those who would infringe apon those rights in to a prison.

Comment

the reading comprehension here is absurd. I'm not opposed against jail, or criminals being locked up. This thread is intended to discuss the bull**** mythical perception of "God given rights"
              Without normatively commenting: It's just another way of saying "natural rights" in Enlightenment political philosophy. I.e. rights one supposedly naturally has by being born human. You're focused on a word that doesn't have any essential bearing upon the theory, so ironically the one who can't interpret by lacking the education to know what those authors such as Locke and Rousseau were even talking about.
              Last edited by Miburo; 10-05-2010, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                Without normatively commenting: It's just another way of saying "natural rights" in Enlightenment political philosophy. I.e. rights one naturally has by being born human. You're focused on a word that doesn't have any essential bearing upon the theory, so ironically the one who can't interpret by lacking the education to know what those authors such as Locke and Rousseau were even talking about.
                No it's not another way of saying "natural rights." I know about the enlightenment political philosophy, which is were the declaration of independence is derived from. That's not my point. The theory we're talking about has been altered to fit the agenda of the originators of this country, and really has little connection in terms of meaning with the enlightenment philosophy. Why? Because the foundation of this country is centered around it, yet it's derivation is flawed.

Comment

No it's not another way of saying "natural rights." I know about the enlightenment political philosophy, which is were the declaration of independence is derived from. That's not my point. The theory we're talking about has been altered to fit the agenda of the originators of this country, and really has little connection in terms of meaning with the enlightenment philosophy. Why? Because the foundation of this country is centered around it, yet it's derivation is flawed.
                  The meaning hasn't been altered at all, it just has slightly more religious overtones when phrased as "God given rights" (natural as opposed to legal rights). Whether or not the term is misused by some in contemporary nomenclature or the theory is sound has no bearing, the issue you're "perceiving" is nonexistent. A large number of the founders of the US were Deists incidentally.
                  Last edited by Miburo; 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Comment

Incidentally in the philosophy of Spinoza God is defined as nature (causal law), and this was not an uncommon mode of thinking about God, so the differentiation you're attempting to make is even more specious.

Comment

Working...
                      X