Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple (Mac) vs Microsoft (Windows)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always enjoyed using a PC over a Mac. My girl has a Macbook pro and it's held up for like 4 years but it cost her 1200. It's lasted 4 years but technology changes so fast nowadays, do you need a computer for that long?

Comment

To OP:

You are familiar with Windows, I'd reccomend sticking to it. Changing OS's is a pain and if your used to any configuration of your system at all, OSX will annoy you.

OS vs OS, both have their merits. OSX for the most part is dumbed down so most people can use it easily, however, if you've never used OSX before, there is a learning curve as they do things rather backwards than Microsoft.

Both OS'es are for the most part, very stable, Windows wants to be rebooted a little more often, OSX you have to hold special keys to get a proper reboot, Microsoft is very aggressive with their patching and security fixes and while annoying, keeps things running nicely and fixes bugs in a timely manner. Apple rarely admits to bugs then sneaks fixes into their updates released every 3-6 months, then once a year they do a major upgrade and you're back to having a buggy OS for 3-6 months until things are patched up.

Security is comparable these days and 9 times out of 10, its the user that is the issue, not the OS. Most malware these days is browser-based or phishing and both of these are cross platform. A couple benefits on Windows side is there is actual information for re-mediating malware issues not to mention there is more built-in security in the OS itself. Don't know how people say mac's are secure, they have far more vulnerabilities than Windows or any other *NIX distributions.

Hardware is hardware, it all breaks. Mid-tier ($400-$600) pc's have the similar performance as $2400 MBP's as long as you make sure to have an SSD.

Get what you can afford and are comfortable using. Windows 7 and OSX are good platforms. I'm in IT for a large tech company and work on/with Macs, PC's, Linux systems on a daily basis. They all break, they all get malware. In the end for me, I like the cost and flexibility Windows gives me. Some people enjoy the uniformity of Apple products, but I'm not a fan of proprietary systems.
      Last edited by madsweeney; 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Underboss View Post
        I'm thinking of buying a new PC, after my current one (an HP from 2005) is on the verge of dying. I was told to get the new iMac which has the best resolution and the best security, but alot of people i know rely on Windows.

Can you guys help me out? Apple or Windows? I will be using it for normal browsing etc.

Thanks in advance .
        It depends on your other devices... if you have all apple stick to apple... but if you have an android phone or tab... you can't really sync it to your mac... I mean there's programs you can download but it's not the same as using itunes, iphoto, ibooks, etc... I switched to android last month and man now I wish I had a PC... I can still use my iMac cuz i have an ipad... but I don't plug in my phone anymore... it's not the same as plugging in an iPhone and not worrying about opening different programs to update or add s.hit to your phone...

Tbh, had I known I would have just upgraded to an iPhone 6... but I convinced myself a samsung was better than an iPhone and it is... but it just makes things more difficult to update if your apple'd out...

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
          It depends on your other devices... if you have all apple stick to apple... but if you have an android phone or tab... you can't really sync it to your mac... I mean there's programs you can download but it's not the same as using itunes, iphoto, ibooks, etc... I switched to android last month and man now I wish I had a PC... I can still use my iMac cuz i have an ipad... but I don't plug in my phone anymore... it's not the same as plugging in an iPhone and not worrying about opening different programs to update or add s.hit to your phone...

Tbh, had I known I would have just upgraded to an iPhone 6... but I convinced myself a samsung was better than an iPhone and it is... but it just makes things more difficult to update if your apple'd out...
          Hahaha I was right about to pick up a 6 plus a few months ago because I run mac right now. I knew that the Note 4 was better in just about every way but I was stuck on the 6 because, well... apple. At the end I was just like **** it and picked up a Note 4. Don't regret it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
            If you're not a complete moron you'll never get a virus with windows. It's only if you click spam links or are gullible to fall for virus adverts etc.
            If you know how to properly set up security with a pc (most important-the browser) you don't get viruses. Windows 7 is awesome. But it's a matter of preference.

Comment

Working...
            X