No announcement yet.

why boxing is more popular in the UK than the US

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why boxing is more popular in the UK than the US

well, since i'm on someone's ignore list, i have to open a new thread for this response. i do think it's a good discussion though.

truth is, Uk boxing has really blown up because of matchroom boxing, Sky sports, AND the smart and strategic promotion of fighters by eddie hearn.
    but that's probably too bitter of a pill for you ldbc fans to swallow.

i think if you really did a deep dive, you would find that there are a few reasons:

1. relatability: in general, uk boxers are way more relatable than american boxers. that's probably because their back stories are usually told and featured intentionally. american promoters don't do that nearly enough.

2. uk boxers are generally more dignified and charismatic than american boxers. all you have to do is look at AJ, bellew, callum smith, bruno, etc vs kovalev, wilder, broner, mayweather, e.t.c. it's tough to gather crowds when you can't behave yourself in public.

3. Race also probably plays a role, although, what it really is, is culture. for boxing to become as big as it should be again in the us, you need to attract casual white male fans and suburbian families. it's just tougher when you don't have talented white american boxers. and the attitudes of the current top american boxers make it impossible. UFC mma doesn't struggle there, so they continue to do well.

Originally posted by that g View Post
    well, since i'm on someone's ignore list, i have to open a new thread for this response. i do think it's a good discussion though.

truth is, Uk boxing has really blown up because of matchroom boxing, Sky sports, AND the smart and strategic promotion of fighters by eddie hearn.
    but that's probably too bitter of a pill for you ldbc fans to swallow.

i think if you really did a deep dive, you would find that there are a few reasons:

1. relatability: in general, uk boxers are way more relatable than american boxers. that's probably because their back stories are usually told and featured intentionally. american promoters don't do that nearly enough.

2. uk boxers are generally more dignified and charismatic than american boxers. all you have to do is look at AJ, bellew, callum smith, bruno, etc vs kovalev, wilder, broner, mayweather, e.t.c. it's tough to gather crowds when you can't behave yourself in public.

3. Race also probably plays a role, although, what it really is, is culture. for boxing to become as big as it should be again in the us, you need to attract casual white male fans and suburbian families. it's just tougher when you don't have talented white american boxers. and the attitudes of the current top american boxers make it impossible. UFC mma doesn't struggle there, so they continue to do well.
    In the UK, boxers don't need to be white to get massive support from casual white male fans and suburban families. That used to be the case in the US too, and it maybe still would be, if the general American public still cared about boxing.

One thing that benifits UK boxers is the fierce pride and loyalty that many UK males feel towards their home town, city, or region, irrespective of the race of the people who live there. This is a consequence of the "football culture" which has been a major part of UK mainstream culture for over a century.

UK boxing fans travel travel to support fighters from their home towns and this gives UK boxing shows the passionate atmosphere of football matches.

Eddie Hearn understands this and taps into it deliberately, both with his matchmaking and the way he publicises fights. This has been a major factor in his success in the UK, and Eddie has admitted that he is struggling to get to grips with the absence of passionate local support for US boxers.
    Last edited by kafkod; 04-04-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

A number of reasons. America have a lot more competitive sports than the UK. The fact that most promoters attach their boxers to a football club here, look at Josh Warrington as an example. UK fans also follow boxing with a lot of passion and they are prepared to pay or travel if they like that boxer, they also tend to support any boxer if they like his personality or style, I remember how Diego Corrales was applaud when he came here to watch a fight, how Barrera was clapped, how Mayweather was treated with respect.

I think they just appreciate good boxer regardless of their nationality. And as long as you try hard they would follow you wherever you fight as a Brit.

Comment

America has MANY MORE competitive sports which to earn money and many people to attempt such feats AND ALL THINK THEY'RE THE BEST EVER! why would you want to get hit in the face/head, for a living? When you have OPTIONS, and the race thing plays a huge part..... its obvious

Comment

Originally posted by HURTFEELINGS View Post
          America has MANY MORE competitive sports which to earn money and many people to attempt such feats AND ALL THINK THEY'RE THE BEST EVER! why would you want to get hit in the face/head, for a living? When you have OPTIONS, and the race thing plays a huge part..... its obvious
          The UK watches and participates in just as many sports as the USA, if not more. We're competitive in football, rugby, cricket, cycling, F1, golf, tennis, a bunch of miscellaneous Olympic sports and some that are mostly contained to here like snooker and darts. We actually won more men's gold medals in the last Olympics than the USA did iirc

Comment

i think in general the atmosphere and fans are better, not to mention the drinking culture etc plays a part.

I cant remember the last time there was a good atmosphere from american fans at a boxing event, usually its always the mexicans that make a rukus. Americans in general are awful fat yanks that need to be told when to make noise because they are too busy stuffing their pie holes, last time i watched an nba game 'clap clap clap clap yourr hands' x1000 while everyone sits in general silence

Comment

It has a lot to do with the football fan culture, any half decent fighter who aligns with a club will sell out any venue.

Look at Ritson from my area, borderline British level and had the arena sold out twice, had the place bouncing.

I’m not buying the more sports in US theory, there’s just as many sports here and much less people to play them.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
                It has a lot to do with the football fan culture, any half decent fighter who aligns with a club will sell out any venue.

Look at Ritson from my area, borderline British level and had the arena sold out twice, had the place bouncing.

I’m not buying the more sports in US theory, there’s just as many sports here and much less people to play them.
                Yeah I agree, as popular as boxing is becoming here, it's still a fair way down the list of sports.

Football alone is an absolute monster in world sport and especially here. It takes up almost everybody's weekend and that bridge will never be close to being gapped.

Comment

Because theyve managed to get a lot of the football fans on board by clever marketing. Theres not many people who have boxing as their fave sport here, but its most football fans second sport which is more than enough to generate a lot of interest. Plus ppvs and live tickets are reasonable so its accessible.

Comment

Boxing has been a niche sport for a while but what has hurt it the most stateside in recent years is the emergence of the UFC. No question that the UFC is more popular than boxing and has taken some fans away from the sport. In the UK, boxing is still leaps and bounds ahead of the UFC.

Other reasons have already been addressed in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X