Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Floyd ends his career with Canelo/Martinez...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF Floyd ends his career with Canelo/Martinez...

I have no choice, but to call him the greatest boxer of this ERA.

IF Floyd, fights and beats Canelo, then goes onto fight, AND beat Sergio Martinez, no boxing fan, casual or die hard can deny his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

The problem is, I don't think he would ever take on this challenge.

No one can deny his technical boxing, greatness. H2H, I think he holds up against any 130 lb. fighter. i remember watching him fight Corrales live on HBO. I remember looking forward to that fight for months at that time. I honestly did not expect him to put on a boxing lesson like that. If there's one, single fight that displayed all his talent, THAT was THE one. After that fight, I was HOOKED.

I'm gonna keep it real. When Floyd retired, after beating Hatton, I wasn't even mad. Since he was my favorite fighter at the time, I felt like he earned a retirement at that point ( at the time, I was a huge boxing fan, but was still a noob, because I didn't follow boxing, like I do today). I felt like he'd beat Cotto at the time. Not because I completely broke down, and assessed the fight, but because I thought he could beat any fighter at the time, within his weight class.

The only fighters I thought he'd have trouble with were Paul Williams, Mosley, and Margarito. Let me make this clear. I am not bashing Floyd in any way possible for not taking those fights. If you truly followed his whole career, you knew that he was naturally too small to fight those guys at the time.

There are a lot of details I'm skipping, because I don't want to turn this into long winded post (even though I already have).

At the end of the day. Floyd is undoubtedly, one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves, in any generation/ERA. He made me a fan when he was younger, and fighting some top notch fighters. Then he moved to WW, and sort of flaked.

I also followed Pacquiao's career, since his early days. When Floyd retired, Manny filled that void of boxing excitement/greatness, and then some.

I'm going to be completely honest. I don't remember, exactly when I started disliking Floyd. I was so caught up in Manny's career, and thought floyd came back, because he didn't want another fighter to take his p4p shine (even though everyone knew he was coming back).

At the time, I fell in love with Manny's fighting style, and his pension to go up, and have great success, against naturally bigger fighters. I always root for the under dog, so I was a total Pacquiao homer.

Then Floyd came back, and started dissing him. That's when I had to choose sides. Not going to get into that.

Long story short. IF Floyd fights, and beats both Canelo, and Sergio. He goes down as the GREATEST FIGHTER/BOXER OF THIS ERA. Hands down.

I don't think anyone could possibly make an arguemnt.

I'm truthfully speaking as a way bigger Pacquiao fan, but I'll give that title up to him, IF he accomplishes those 2 things, before he retires.

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
    I have no choice, but to call him the greatest boxer of this ERA.

IF Floyd, fights and beats Canelo, then goes onto fight, AND beat Sergio Martinez, no boxing fan, casual or die hard can deny his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

The problem is, I don't think he would ever take on this challenge.

No one can deny his technical boxing, greatness. H2H, I think he holds up against any 130 lb. fighter. i remember watching him fight Corrales live on HBO. I remember looking forward to that fight for months at that time. I honestly did not expect him to put on a boxing lesson like that. If there's one, single fight that displayed all his talent, THAT was THE one. After that fight, I was HOOKED.

I'm gonna keep it real. When Floyd retired, after beating Hatton, I wasn't even mad. Since he was my favorite fighter at the time, I felt like he earned a retirement at that point ( at the time, I was a huge boxing fan, but was still a noob, because I didn't follow boxing, like I do today). I felt like he'd beat Cotto at the time. Not because I completely broke down, and assessed the fight, but because I thought he could beat any fighter at the time, within his weight class.

The only fighters I thought he'd have trouble with were Paul Williams, Mosley, and Margarito. Let me make this clear. I am not bashing Floyd in any way possible for not taking those fights. If you truly followed his whole career, you knew that he was naturally too small to fight those guys at the time.

There are a lot of details I'm skipping, because I don't want to turn this into long winded post (even though I already have).

At the end of the day. Floyd is undoubtedly, one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves, in any generation/ERA. He made me a fan when he was younger, and fighting some top notch fighters. Then he moved to WW, and sort of flaked.

I also followed Pacquiao's career, since his early days. When Floyd retired, Manny filled that void of boxing excitement/greatness, and then some.

I'm going to be completely honest. I don't remember, exactly when I started disliking Floyd. I was so caught up in Manny's career, and thought floyd came back, because he didn't want another fighter to take his p4p shine (even though everyone knew he was coming back).

At the time, I fell in love with Manny's fighting style, and his pension to go up, and have great success, against naturally bigger fighters. I always root for the under dog, so I was a total Pacquiao homer.

Then Floyd came back, and started dissing him. That's when I had to choose sides. Not going to get into that.

Long story short. IF Floyd fights, and beats both Canelo, and Sergio. He goes down as the GREATEST FIGHTER/BOXER OF THIS ERA. Hands down.

I don't think anyone could possibly make an arguemnt.

I'm truthfully speaking as a way bigger Pacquiao fan, but I'll give that title up to him, IF he accomplishes those 2 things, before he retires.
    All there really is to it. As much as we all want to see him fight Martinez, he'll settle for Guerrero.

Comment

i dont think the Martinez fight is optional, Sergio will have to drain himself and it aint Floyds natural weight,i also think Sergio will have the advantage being more powerful, realistically its a big ask for Floyd, i personally think he will lose and that still takes nothing away from him

He should stick to 147, and fight whoever brings the game including Alverez
      Last edited by FrankieBruno; 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

If Floyd beat Martinez, the value from beating Canelo's a$$ wouldn't be much

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
          i dont think the Martinez fight is optional, Sergio will have to drain himself and it aint Floyds natural weight,i also think Sergio will have the advantage being more powerful, realistically its a big ask from Floyd

He should stick to 147, and fight whoever brings the game
          I some what agree, BUT, at this point, Floyd HAS to have a career defining fight. One that would truly cement his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

I totally understand that Floyd at 154, isn't the same fighter (in terms of speed, power, movement, etc), BUT, because of the moves that he's pulled in his career, he NEEDS this fight to be considered the GREATEST OF THIS ERA.

Regardless of how I feel about Floyd's outside, ring persona, I am also an unbiased boxing fan, and can asses his technical boxing skills/mastery.

I hold Floyd to a much higher standard than most fighters, so I expect him to take on this challenge, and have success. IF he beats Canelo/Martinez, I will never ever again criticize him as a fighter, or his career, and all time status.

Comment

It's not that simple.

It's not just who you beat, but how you beat them.

Comment

My point is, win or lose, if he has success against Martinez at a non advantageous weight, than, that alone would FINALLY prove to ME, his greatness, and all time boxing skills/greatness.

Just keeping it real.

All I'm asking is, just fight him, and prove your greatness Floyd. I will never criticize him again, win or lose, as long as he puts up a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                I some what agree, BUT, at this point, Floyd HAS to have a career defining fight. One that would truly cement his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

I totally understand that Floyd at 154, isn't the same fighter (in terms of speed, power, movement, etc), BUT, because of the moves that he's pulled in his career, he NEEDS this fight to be considered the GREATEST OF THIS ERA.

Regardless of how I feel about Floyd's outside, ring persona, I am also an unbiased boxing fan, and can asses his technical boxing skills/mastery.

I hold Floyd to a much higher standard than most fighters, so I expect him to take on this challenge, and have success. IF he beats Canelo/Martinez, I will never ever again criticize him as a fighter, or his career, and all time status.
                they really need to make the pacman fight happen, it doesnt matter if pac has lost, he was dominating the JMM fight, and he still has some in the tank and they need to face each other in 2013, also if Floyd wins that will be a huge confidence builder and who knows who he might face after.

Pac vs FLoyd is still a great match up to be had, their styles will mean for a interesting bout..

Comment

Wait who has Canelo defeated to get a shot at Mayweather? He hasnt even faced the top guys @154lbs. Boxing fans are so gullible and fed with hype. If Canelo was an Irish Kid who was managed by Frank Warren and had the same resume nobody would be clamoring for him to fight Mayweather. Oscar has done a great job at marketing Canelo and building up him, guiding him safely. He needs to fight Cotto before he earns the right to fight Mayweather. If Mayweather fought him and dominated him everyone would say he was green and he hasnt beat anyone.

Martinez? Dude is a Middleweight who started at 147lbs and now comes into fights weighing 170lbs. Its clear to any rational & knowledgable fan that Mayweather at 154lbs is very effective because of his natural physical gifts and skills but he isnt the same Floyd @147lbs. Why are people wanting Mayweather who has only fought at 154lbs twice, once in 2007 and most recently 2012 to fight Martinez whos last 5 fights have been @160lbs. Floyd has never even fought at 160lbs and people say he is ducking Martinez If Mayweather fought at 160lbs that would be his 6th weight class, If Martinez fought at 168lbs that would be his 4th weight class, why doesnt Martinez do what Floyd has done and just simply move up to his 5th weight class and challenge 168lb fighters? People say Mayweather is a coward and has ducked every fighter, they say Martinez should be higher on the p4p list yet they dont want Martinez to fight another P4P fighter like Andre Ward. Has Martinez even defeated a fighter who was on the P4P list? People want to see Mayweather lose so bad that they want him to fight guys 2 weight classes above him and get outweighed by a bigger fighter by almost 20lbs at a weight that hes never fougth at

Mayweather is 35 years old & yes he is the best fighter in the sport but he isnt superman, Mayweather is most effective at 147lbs. People dont want to see him fight at the weight that he is at his best at because they all know that NOBODY at 147lbs has a chance to beat Mayweather, even at this stage of his career, none of these guys will crack the Mayweather Defensive Code.

Martinez has called out Pac and everyone said Pac is too small for Martinez but just because Floyd is bigger than Pacquiao doesnt mean he still isnt smaller than Martinez. Floyd is so Great that people want him to fight guys that are just bigger than him so they can see him lose, they want him to be at an uncomfortable weight which would be his only weakness when compared to 160lbs fighters. If Mayweather was a natural MW he would dominate everyone at MW in this era.
                  Last edited by Architect; 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Canelo would even be relevant if Floyd beats Martinez?

Comment

Working...
                    X