No announcement yet.

Who used to be on the berto bandwagon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who used to be on the berto bandwagon

Lets be honest here, who thought he was gunna be a force to be reckoned with
    His right hook right uppercut combo was beast but as he stepped up the competition it was obvious he wasn't what i thought

Originally posted by Juof View Post
    His right hook right uppercut combo was beast but as he stepped up the competition it was obvious he wasn't what i thought
    Never jumped on that bandwagon - I always thought he was a limited fighter and would have a tough time with a decent boxer. You saw the signs when he fought Collazo...............

Man...I miss Collazo he was underrated.

Garcia reminds me of Berto. Wait for a decent boxer exploit his weaknesses.

Comment

I wish the Mosley fight would have happened. I think he still had enough back then to beat berto hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
        I wish the Mosley fight would have happened. I think he still had enough back then to beat berto hype.
        Yeah^^^^

Its funny he f)cked himself outta 2 Floyd fights...lmao.

Bt i know he aint too salty...he get paid alot for a b-level fighter...wud love to be in his position

Comment

Berto turned out to be exactly what he was back then and that was the problem.

After he survived Collazo, he and his camp should have seen the improvements that needed to be made to challenge the elite.

Conditioning, work rate, a real jab, more educated head movement, a more responsible defense, fighting off the back foot, fighting on the inside...heck, keeping his chin tucked better.

They had a whole list and we saw no fight changing improvement in any area. Still lacked a jab to keep fighters honest, never threw enough yet still gassed, opponents still find his head with their eyes close, he still can be backed up to the ropes and worked over due to his lack of inside fighting ability.

I wouldn't call it being on a bandwagon to see potential. I would if you said he could handle Mayweather and Manny, though.
          Last edited by purecyse; 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I always thought he was over paid and over hyped but he does make some exciting fights.

Like his fights with Collazo and Ortiz I always wanted to see those two rematches but never happened.

I will be rooting for him agains't Soto Karass if he doesn't beat him Berto is done.

Comment

I don't know how anyone could stay sold after Collazo.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
                I was, to be fair I still am. A couple of losses didn't make him a worse fighter to me, just not as good as I assumed, but you also have to give credit to his opponents. I give all the credit to Ortiz for beating Berto and not coming out intimidated. (My buddy sparred with Berto before this and was intimidated by his name/resume/status- and it affected him in the ring) I don't hype undefeated fighters and then ditch them when they take a loss, I follow/like fighters for different reasons and I mantain that opinion of them unless something drastically changes. I have never been mistaken in a sense that I thought someone wasn't a bum that was, or something significant, I have never been a fan of a fighter that later quit and disappointed me, or did something so drastic I no longer became a fan of them.

Some boxers lose alot of hype unnnecessarily in my opinon, especially amongst casual fans. So a fighter eats a loss, even one he should have won and all of the sudden he's overrated or his career is over? Laughable. Most fighters, even great ones, don't stay undefeated, to me Berto is still an elite fighter with average defense but a fun style to watch, good power, and a better chance at bigger paydays than people want to give him credit for.

Fans are so fickle. Paul Williams lost hype almost from one day to the next. Boxing should not be this way. In no sport do I abandon my team when they lose.

Comment

Good post above me.

I was never on the bandwagon but always thought Berto would be a top 2 pr 3 welter in the years to come and I guess he was rated as such before he started losing. He still has the physical tools to be a top level fighter, the power is there and is the aggression. He just lacks the finish and finesse of a truly elite boxer.

Comment

Collazo changed my mind about him and Hatton

Comment

Working...
                    X