Collapse
No announcement yet.

How skilled was/is Ronda Rousey really?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How skilled was/is Ronda Rousey really?

After that fight, the question that is left is...

How good was or is Ronda really?

I said after the Correia fight, that someone like Holm would beat Ronda when she gets more mma experience. Now, the experience thing apparently wasn't a factor at all but the skill set that Holm has was more than enough to handle Ronda.

All someone had to do was be patient and not play rock em sock'em robots with Ronda and they'd likely beat her. That is what I said. That is what Holly did.

After that fight though, to be completely honest. Ronda looked like the old Rich Franklin. The one who dominated 185 was a rockstar and then here comes some Brazilian dude from no where who put Leben to sleep with 3 punches and history is written.

Not to say Holm is the female version of Anderson Silva but Ronda, how good was she really? Is she just Rich Franklin who was just a big fish in a small talent pool? Or is she just someone like Carlos Condit or Daniel Cormier who got beat by the top dog but still clearly has the ability of a champion?

She fought a lot of mediocre women, to no fault of her own, the women in mma and ufc altogether aren't very refined yet. In the UFC alone, there's only 3 legit fighters who have legitimate fighting backgrounds. Two of them being Holm and Ronda, the third being Joanna. (Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai respectively. All high standard in their respective sport/art)

With the next best UFC woman being Meisha Tate or Cat Zingano and they aren't anywhere near the skill level of the aforementioned 3. Because they just dabbled with some cardio kickboxing/ wrestling and thought "Oh I can do this." Pretty much like the rest of the women in mma currently.

Ronda in that fight, honestly looked like a brawling Judoka. She has strength/power, okay. She is highly skilled in judo, okay. But she lacks intellect in the standup, like if this was boxing, it'd be called Ring IQ. She seemed like truly a UFC 1-5 fighter who has ability in 1 art but lacks what makes Jon Jones, GSP, BJ Penn, McGregor etc etc unique and special.

Pretty much what changed the UFC from the Gracie era to the GSP, Jon Jones, McGregor etc etc era.

So enough rambling. How good or skilled is Ronda really? Was/is she just the precursor to Women's MMA, much like the Royce, Renzo etc to Male MMA? Or do y'all think she just got bested like any other mma fight? Like GSP to Hughes and Serra?

Comment

She beat everyone else in the weight class, easily. I think she just got bested by a superior striker with a perfect game plan. The scary thing is that she knew that would be Holm's game plan and couldn't prevent it. I think she should ditch Edmund and get with a real camp. I don't know if Holm can run through the rest of the weight class though. I think she'll have problems with Meisha and Cat. I hope Ronda takes some time off, I like it when weight classes get shook up.

Comment

And Ronda's mom called it. She even said going into this fight that Edmund Taverdyan was the wrong boxing trainer for her. Guess she was right.

Comment

Most educated MMA fans saw the clear holes in Ronda's stand up game. She loads up way too much on her punches, chin in the air, easy to hit and freezes up when she gets caught. She showed those bad habits against Tate and Correia. Watch the way Ronda boxes compared to an experienced, refined striker like Joanna, and you can see it's like night and day.

It was delusional fanboys, casual fans, douche bag promoters like De LaHoya, the UFC and Joe Rogan propaganda that made it seemed like her striking was catching up to her grappling skills.

Stopping McMann and knocking out Correia had people believing the hype. Holm is leagues above them as far as striking.

Ronda is great and still is, but judo and the armbar was always her bread and butter. She believed her own hype and wanted to show the world that she wasn't one dimensional and got taught a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            She beat everyone else in the weight class, easily. I think she just got bested by a superior striker with a perfect game plan. The scary thing is that she knew that would be Holm's game plan and couldn't prevent it. I think she should ditch Edmund and get with a real camp. I don't know if Holm can run through the rest of the weight class though. I think she'll have problems with Meisha and Cat. I hope Ronda takes some time off, I like it when weight classes get shook up.
            Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            And Ronda's mom called it. She even said going into this fight that Edmund Taverdyan was the wrong boxing trainer for her. Guess she was right.
            Does Ronda even have a real camp/team besides some scumbag boxing trainer? Not only did her boxing look bad, but she gassed out after 2 minutes.

I know Greg Jackson is known for training boring, safety first point fighters, but one thing people can't deny is that Jackson is a master at coming up with the proper game plan and drilling the right strategy into his fighter's head. Worked with GSP, Jones, now Holm.

If Rousey had a coach like that, who could also keep her calm and not fight off emotion, she can bounce back from this.

Comment

Ronda's competition up until last night was on a whole other tier. Judo...even at the Olympic level doesn't cut it in MMA...but she is definitely very accomplished in it and grew up with it. Compare that with a bunch of woman who are relatively knew to MMA by comparison without any real pedigree and Ronda looks great. But Holly Holm has a far greater skill set for MMA and better conditioning than Ronda...and suddenly Ronda looks like crap. Generally speaking woman's MMA is pretty weak but fighters like Holly and Cyborg will demolish Ronda every time. Holly is actually pretty damm good.

Ronda also had the hype machine behind her obviously in overdrive with all turbos wide open. The buzz was unbelievable and a lot of people simply couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Comment

I think she is skilled, especially compared to other WMMA fighters at her weight

However, she was massively overhyped. It was beyond ridiculous how Rogan said she was not only once in a lifetime but once in ever fighter and best woman athlete ever etc. I know he has a massive crush for her and she gets him into tears, but that was beyond ridiculous and stupid. She is far from the best athlete ever or even in the recent years in the woman's sports.

Her striking didn't impress me either. But she has more power than most WMMA fighters in my opinion. Core strength and punching power

She is a good grappler, but there are better ones out there. But they are olympic judokas etc., not involved in WMMA world

She is good but she was hyped way too much

Comment

Whenever a successfully huge fighter loses they are then labeled over hyped ,she comes back wins ,and all thses threads are forgotten or she takes another L and starts from the bottom up again .

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    Whenever a successfully huge fighter loses they are then labeled over hyped ,she comes back wins ,and all thses threads are forgotten or she takes another L and starts from the bottom up again .
                    Not in this case. People called her overhyped the moment she became the UFC's biggest star. Not saying she isn't talented and great at what she did but I don't think I've ever seen any fighter hyped up this much in my entire life in boxing or MMA.

People were actually believing that could beat men twice her size. People actually believed she had the skillset to become a boxing champion and a world jiu jitsu champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X