No announcement yet.

Chino back next year, 154 lbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chino back next year, 154 lbs?

Argentinian puncher Marcos Maidana will not be returning to the ring until at least next year, according to manager Sebastian Contursi.
    The 32 year-old has already been out of action for twelve months since losing back-to-back battles with Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2014, having fought at least twice a year at the highest level since 2009.

‘Chino’ is now enjoying some time away from the sport having married over the summer, although Contursi has confirmed that it is not a permanent situation and that Maidana will be recharged for a comeback to the ring at some point in 2016.

“Marcos is just taking a good rest like other boxers have done in the past,” Contursi explained to World Boxing News.

“The is no news so far regarding an exact time that Marcos will be ready, which means we have to move forward to planning a fight for next year, I guess.”

Asked whether Maidana will return to the welterweight ranks, Contursi hinted that a campaign at 154 pounds could be on the cards if the ex-140 and 147 title holder aims to become a three-weight king.

“It is premature to know at this point whether Marcos will fight at welterweight. Yet if Marcos was willing to fight at 154, he would have the historical opportunity to try to become the first ever boxer from Argentina to hold three world titles in three different weight classes.

“It’s just an idea at this point, but we will know more when Marcos is ready to return,” he added.

Maidana has 35 wins from his 40 bouts and was one of the principle rulers at 147 until running into the best fighter of his generation not once, but twice prior to taking a well-earned break.

As the welterweight division is stacked with great fighters, Maidana may well decide that’s where his immediate future lies as a rematch with Amir Khan would certainly be one of those bouts on any wishlist.

A move up to 154, on the other hand, would provide plenty of chances to pick up a version of the world title as the calibre of champion is arguably not on the same level as seven pounds lighter and Maidana could be a major player at the weight should that be the route he decides to take.

http://www.***************.net/2015/...-not-ruled-out

i don't know, i don't think is a good idea to fight at 154 lbs unless is a tune up just to get back in the ring.

Damn I wanted him to fight someone like guerrero or danny

Comment

Maidana should fight Margarito at 154

Comment

Maidana is too small for the Charlo brothers,andrade,lara
        No way he wins a title from one of those guys. A vacant title is his only chance at winning a title at 154
        That's haymon stable at 154, plus those guys aren't money fights.
        Canelo and cotto aren't on the pbc side so 154 is pointless from a big fight standpoint

The big fights are at 147.

maidana better get his ass in shape and stay at 147, where he can fight guys his size and make good money doing it

Garcia,brook,khan,porter,thurman.
        Last edited by bluebeam; 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

He needs to control his weight. I think he should still be fighting at 140. He looks chubby for an in shape boxer at 147. He will really be carrying extra body fat he doesn't need at 154. I don't think he will do very well at 154. He will be fighting boxers who are naturally bigger than he is. I am a Maidana fan and I want him to be successful. I don't think going up to 154 is a good move for him. I guess he will be moving to 154 so I hope he is successful at that weight.

Comment

Working...
          X