No announcement yet.

Sparring against a girl

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    I asked because you have boxing gyms, mixed gyms with mma and boxing, or just those fitness boxing gyms where chubby people go to do some kind of Ti-Bo boxing class to lose weight.

As I said I haven't been to a boxing gym where you would have to spar a female but you said she is the only one there so I guess I could see that. Usually though in those types of situations they have the female spar the younger guys like 13-16 year old kids.

Can't imagine what you're going through, it would be awkward as heck for me especially with my size. Good thing is that you aren't sparring to go all out but to learn and work on things. I've had to take it easier on guys at times because there weren't any heavyweights in the gym to spar at the time so I'd imagine it's a bit like that
    Oh right, it hosts a variety of things, it hosts boxercize classes for fat people etc but it's also a gym that trains people to box, the gym owner is also a boxing promoter so he hosts a lot of competitions etc so I guess it's a bit of both.

There isn't anyone under the age of 18 in the competition, 18+ is a requirement to fight so I'm really wondering who she will be put against, there's two others there that I am better than but what if they are booked to fight each other and I have to fight her?I don't think I would be able to do it because what would I have to gain? If I beat her (which I know I would) especially badly I would look like a dick and if I somehow lost I would get laughed at.

Like imagine if I took the fight, went easy on her and ended up losing. I've also been training very hard, doing all of that to get a fight with a girl isn't a pay off (no offence).
    Last edited by RossyJames; 08-08-2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossyJames View Post
      Oh right, it hosts a variety of things, it hosts boxercize classes for fat people etc but it's also a gym that trains people to box, the gym owner is also a boxing promoter so he hosts a lot of competitions etc so I guess it's a bit of both.

There isn't anyone under the age of 18 in the competition, 18+ is a requirement to fight so I'm really wondering who she will be put against, there's two others there that I am better than but what if they are booked to fight each other and I have to fight her?I don't think I would be able to do it because what would I have to gain? If I beat her (which I know I would) especially badly I would look like a dick and if I somehow lost I would get laughed at.

Like imagine if I took the fight, went easy on her and ended up losing. I've also been training very hard, doing all of that to get a fight with a girl isn't a pay off (no offence).
      So this is just an in house gym competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        So this is just an in house gym competition?
        Yeah we're not fighting any outsiders

Comment

Golden rule: if she has boobs - go clinching.

Comment

Originally posted by RossyJames View Post
            Yeah we're not fighting any outsiders
            Oh ok, then like I said help her out. Sparring is just sparring man, nothing to it, you all should be learning from one another. As far as the competition goes that's just weird. I understand she's the only girl there but in no way should she be taking part in a competition with a bunch of guys. But I guess equality huh

I would just carry her if they match you two in the competition. Just keep her on the end of a jab and don't go overboard doing anything that'll make you seem like a dick for whoopin on a female.

Comment

I cant believe they'd have you fight her in a competition. I've sparred with females a few times including one that had some power. Enough power that I was pretty careful not to get caught. She did get me in the body a couple times that actually hurt a bit. Otherwise, when sparring females or anyone else, you should come down to their level and make it a learning experience. everyone has the ability to gauge their punches. One thing I is that I'd never punch a lady in the chest as I consider that off limits...just seems wrong, like hitting a dude in the nads.

Comment

Idk, depends on weight really... For the guys they'll spar below and above their weight class if they have too because the reality is people come and go based on their schedule, but for a female it does matter depending on how much less they weigh.

There's a few on and off females in my club, I'm the only consistent one, one is gay and she's a Golden Glove winner, she spars with the guys endlessly but she's as manly as they are but as competitive too. We have a small Asian, older (maybe early 30s), maybe 5 feet, 90lbs? She has to spar with one of the coaches daughter that's like 12 (this 12 yr old is fast on her feet and has killer reflexes) just because of her stature. She can't go against the guys weighing at least 30-40lbs less.

Sparring has never been about hitting hard though. Even when the guys spar against each other they don't fight with their full strength...

I train with the coaches and my own coach in particular, he hits me hard enough where I cringe because it hurts, most times it's to prove a point like I'm not pulling my jab back fast enough, or blocking fast enough, or keeping my body protected, I'm too planted, but he never hits me with the intention to knock me out either... But there is a point to learn that getting hit hurts and we gotta learn to "roll with the punches", literally and metaphorically, and there's gonna be times we're learning through pain.

Basically, any female that walked into boxing and sticks around, understands what we're getting ourselves into. Fear really doesn't have a place in a boxing club.

Comment

Is she one of these Cyborg chicks or do you massive outsize & outweigh her?

Either way I'd suggest work more on defense against her. Sparring is ultimately practice & I think one of the more underappreciated aspects of practice is defensive work so if you aren't comfortable going all out balls to the wall or even 80% with her than just go at whatever level you're going at now but make the focus of your learning when sparring with her about defense.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, you can spar her with your lightest hits and still seriously train with her. Go for speed, reach and movement. Hit her with a flurry of rapid light jabs and combos to force her to learn to defend, parry, slips, bob and weave, counter-hits. Use your reach to force her to learn to get on the inside and work on her downstairs doubles and body shots. Move around the ring to teach her footwork and movement.

If boxing was solely about power, we'd have a lot of a boxers, but it's not. Boxing is a a culmination of speed, agility, defensive and offensive tactics, power and finesse.

Comment

Ill spar anybody i dont care but no girl is close to my size so i just go light same as i do with males who are a lot smaller than me.

Comment

Working...
                      X