Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the Republicans and Democrats roles reverse post civil rights movement?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    Democrats used to be pro slavery and republicans were started to abolish slavery democrats used to have southern dominance and republicans were doing well in states like Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and California

Lyndon Johnson lost the south for the Democrats and Barry Goldwater and his conservative movement cemented the south for GOP and made it this regional party it is today
    Elaborate on the bold.

The question is how did Lyndon B sway an entire race towards the Democratic vote and how did the Republicans lose it?

Malcolm X was a Republican

Comment

Originally posted by GTTofAK View Post
      No its because after the civil rights movement the democrats and the south moved away from each other. The democratic party was taken over by north east and west coast intellectuals and no longer represented the blue collar values of the south. This had been going on even before the civil rights movement but the democrats were able to use race to keep the south. Once civil rights passed and race taken off the table as a political issue the south realized that they had very little in common with the democratic party anymore.
      The South was voting for Democrats up until 1980, quite a bit after the civil rights. Reagan converted the nation into being what it should always be, Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
        Democrats held the South up until Reagan, that is when the switch happened.

Well I should more accurately say the switch happened with Bush Sr/Clinton because Reagan swept the whole United States in Red.

I don't know if that's accurate.

Malcolm was a Republican and use to lobby for Republican votes from the black community

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          No you're wrong

No I am not wrong, I showed you a map of the 1976 election where the South was still primarily Democrat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
            Elaborate on the bold.

The question is how did Lyndon B sway an entire race towards the Democratic vote and how did the Republicans lose it?

You always try to talk in circles, you know damn well you and Phenom know why... Stop saying people are ignorant but then asking them to elaborate **** for you.

BTW Russel Crowe is a **** actor, and you are a **** poster.

Comment

Originally posted by HiLo Rudyo! View Post
              You always try to talk in circles, you know damn well you and Phenom know why... Stop saying people are ignorant but then asking them to elaborate **** for you.

BTW Russel Crowe is a **** actor, and you are a **** poster.
              Where did this attack come from?

How am I talking in circles?

I don't even know you. I'm seriously trying to understand why there was a shift in black votes.

Please save your emotional response. You don't have to like me as a poster, but please bring some data/facts to the table

Comment

I don't know if that's accurate.

Malcolm was a Republican and use to lobby for Republican votes from the black community
                The map shows official results, so its accurate. Malcolm and Martin Luther King Jr. were Republicans.

Bottom line is you had guys like Johnson who turned the country blue in the 60's, and Nixon and Reagan who turned the country red in the following years. However, as recently as 1976 the South voted primarily Democrat, therefore one cannot make a definite claim that the switch of voting happened in the 1960's, although I will say it did start a certain catalyst.

What it comes down to is who the people have faith in. Anyone who says the Republican party is dead or dying doesn't realize how quickly a persons opinion and emotions can change.

Comment

The map shows official results, so its accurate. Malcolm and Martin Luther King Jr. were Republicans.

Bottom line is you had guys like Johnson who turned the country blue in the 60's, and Nixon and Reagan who turned the country red in the following years. However, as recently as 1976 the South voted primarily Democrat, therefore one cannot make a definite claim that the switch of voting happened in the 1960's, although I will say it did start a certain catalyst.

What it comes down to is who the people have faith in. Anyone who says the Republican party is dead or dying doesn't realize how quickly a persons opinion and emotions can change.
                  I guess this is where I'm getting confused. You're showing a map of North vs South. My question is why the black vote massively shifted from Republican to Democrat?

Thanks for the input thus far.

Comment

No I am not wrong, I showed you a map of the 1976 election where the South was still primarily Democrat.
                    76 was an anomaly with watergate and Nixon resigning and democrats nominating a governor of Georgia with southern accent Barry Goldwater was the1st republican to win in south and with the exception of Nixon scandal the Democrats never won it again

Comment

Elaborate on the bold.

Lyndon Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act and Goldwater was very critical of it and the conservatives movement were against it

Lyndon Johnson told his staff “We have lost the South for a generation” when he signed the Civil rights act all the southern whites switched to the republicans and never turned back

Comment

Working...
                      X