No announcement yet.

Heavybag video.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavybag video.

I personally see some progress. I naturally turn with my left hook now and my jab and right hand have a little more pop than last week. Lemme know what you think. You may need to change the quality of the video btw

https://youtu.be/rQf83MYZyzI
    Last edited by AndreLittle2323; 12-11-2016, 11:34 AM.

You look like you've got a good start. A small mistake in your footwork is affecting several things with your punching. You take a big step in and to the left for every punch, even most jabs. This causes several problems.

The jab should snap out effortlessly with just a small step. It's less of a step and more of a small but explosive thrust off the rear foot. You're not using your rear foot to generate power. You're throwing your weight onto your front foot. Your weight will shift there when you throw your right (setting up the left hook) but not before.

Work on popping that jab. The jab should not change your overall posture. Instead of leaning or taking a big step to cover distance, turn your shoulder over and don't take that step to the side. That step squares you up with the opponent in a bad way because it kills your effective reach and puts you right where the opponent wants you (I used to do the exact thing and learned this the hard way). Just take a small thrust off the back foot and go directly at the bag. Keeping that step small took me over a year to get right.

I think, once you get that step tightened up, your right and left hook will tighten up on their own because you don't be throwing all your weight forward. You'll be faster and able to return your hands to position between each punch. Tommy Hearns is an excellent fighter to watch when working on snapping punches. Your opponent shouldn't be able to tell that a right is coming behind that jab. Remember that it all starts in the feet.

That's a lot of nit-picking but don't take it the wrong way. I think you're doing a lot of things right like keeping light on your feet between punches, your basic punch form is good (aside form what I mentioned), and you have a good sense of what you're doing overall. Keep up the good work. I think you're going to progress pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Redd Foxx; 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      You look like you've got a good start. A small mistake in your footwork is affecting several things with your punching. You take a big step in and to the left for every punch, even most jabs. This causes several problems.

The jab should snap out effortlessly with just a small step. It's less of a step and more of a small but explosive thrust off the rear foot. You're not using your rear foot to generate power. You're throwing your weight onto your front foot. Your weight will shift there when you throw your right (setting up the left hook) but not before.

Work on popping that jab. The jab should not change your overall posture. Instead of leaning or taking a big step to cover distance, turn your shoulder over and don't take that step to the side. That step squares you up with the opponent in a bad way because it kills your effective reach and puts you right where the opponent wants you (I used to do the exact thing and learned this the hard way). Just take a small thrust off the back foot and go directly at the bag. Keeping that step small took me over a year to get right.

I think, once you get that step tightened up, your right and left hook will tighten up on their own because you don't be throwing all your weight forward. You'll be faster and able to return your hands to position between each punch. Tommy Hearns is an excellent fighter to watch when working on snapping punches. Your opponent shouldn't be able to tell that a right is coming behind that jab. Remember that it all starts in the feet.

That's a lot of nit-picking but don't take it the wrong way. I think you're doing a lot of things right like keeping light on your feet between punches, your basic punch form is good (aside form what I mentioned), and you have a good sense of what you're doing overall. Keep up the good work. I think you're going to progress pretty quickly.
      I really appreciate the time feedback. I see what you're saying. I'll post another next week and maybe some improvements will be seen

Comment

You absolutely must stop dropping your left hand like that. I have that habit too.
        You have good crisp punches. Good work, keep it up!
        Last edited by rez; 01-12-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X