Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow Mitt Romney earns $21 Million dollars a year and pays 14% in taxes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow Mitt Romney earns $21 Million dollars a year and pays 14% in taxes.

A peek inside Mitt Romney's $42.5 million tax filings

Mitt Romney reported owing $6.2 million in taxes on $42.5 million in income over the last two years, according to documents released by the Republican presidential contender's campaign Tuesday.

The former Massachusetts governor made an estimated $20.9 million in 2011 and expects to pay $3.2 million in taxes, a 15.4 percent rate.

In 2010, he earned $21.65 million, and paid $3 million in taxes, a 13.9 percent rate.

Romney has been under pressure from rivals to release his returns. There were no major surprises in more than 500 pages of documents released Tuesday.

They confirm what's long been known—that Romney is far wealthier than most Americans. His net worth is between $190 million and $250 million.

Romney earned almost all his income from dividends and interest on investments. His tax bill was reduced as he took about $7 million in charitable deductions, including $4.1 million to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon church.

Virtually all of Romney's income comes from investment income that's taxed at a 15 percent rate. Ordinary income, or income from wages, can be taxed as high as 35 percent.

The Romneys paid a lower rate than their chief political rivals. Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, paid at a rate of about 31 percent, and President Barack Obama last year paid at a 26 percent rate.

Gingrich has been pressing Romney hard to release the returns. During the South Carolina primary campaign last week, Gingrich routinely drew cheers from crowds when he wondered what Romney could be hiding.

Romney at first said he would release the returns in April, when they are complete, but relented after being crushed by Gingrich in the South Carolina primary.

At Monday night's Tampa Republican debate, Romney called his tax liability "entirely legal and fair."
    And, he added, "I pay all the taxes that are legally required and not a dollar more. I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he owes."

Romney Tuesday released a statement of support from Fred Goldberg, former Internal Revenue Service Commission.

"These returns reflect the complexity of our tax laws and the types of investment activity that I would anticipate for persons in their circumstances," he said. "There is no indication or suggestion of any tax-motivated or aggressive tax planning activities. In my judgment, they have fully satisfied their responsibilities as taxpayers."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...#storylink=cpy

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...ax-filing.html

he's going to catch more heat for this...

Comment

You do realize that that tax rate is through capital gains and all of his income is through investments right? So technically he is getting taxed twice. The money he made on the job was most likely taxed at 35% then he took that money and invested it and now he is paying the required and legal 15% on his returns. Nothing wrong and nothing illegal about it. He is paying the same rate that everyone else pays on capital gains/investments. People need to quit being dumb about this, this is what everyone pays in capital gains taxes.

Comment

Even if he's done nothing wrong and even if he's not trying to avoid paying up to a 35 percent on an IRA he has I'm the Caymans, I just don't think the American public is ever going to trust anyone who makes that much money. I still think he'll win the primary, but as long as Obama can avoid going to was with Iran, I don't see Romney becoming president.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinDoctor View Post
          At Monday night's Tampa Republican debate, Romney called his tax liability "entirely legal and fair."
          And, he added, "I pay all the taxes that are legally required and not a dollar more. I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he owes."
          This is mostly likely true, but he's still gonna be **** on.

Comment

He's done nothing illegal but it doesn't connect well with the middle and lower class.

Plus his opponents will have a field day with it.

I'm waiting for Romney to break down, I'm convinced he's a robot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              He's done nothing illegal but it doesn't connect well with the middle and lower class.

Plus his opponents will have a field day with it.

I'm waiting for Romney to break down, I'm convinced he's a robot.
              He almost did, in that debate where Perry pissed him off.

Comment

Working...
              X