No announcement yet.

Will both Klitschkos get in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
    Hah need Clegg to try win your arguments for you. I'm still waiting for him to reply.

You are the EPITOME of why NBS is what it is today. Stupid ass people that don't argue intelligently. Just throw insults and bait people.
    Game over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      And yet Dawson is far less popular now then Hatton was, no?
      That is correct.

But your comparison is completely unequal. You have on one side Hatton, who has been in the ring on PPV infront of American audiences in two out of the 5 biggest PPV fights in boxing history.

And in the other corner, Chad, who is wallowing in the shadows fighting opponents who's claim to fame is beating a past it Roy Jones.

My "hypothesis" in this situation (everything being equal) is that foreign fighters are not as respected and less popular in America than American raised fighters.

To test this scientifically (or factually, or using logic) you have to get rid of all the other factors, make everything equal (skills, resume, etc.) and then just test how that one factor influences the popularity.

That is why I brought up Froch/Pavlik. They have similar resumes, skills. But one is European and one is American. Which one has a bigger fan base in America? Is it because he is American?

(Edit: Apparently my point was unclear to a certain moron. I will bold my point.)
      Last edited by Konstantin; 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Well go on, make your point.
        Hes lost too many fights to be a superstar, since 2000 he has very few tko's, he doesnt have a winning streak and thus hes not a superstar

get it?

Comment

That is correct.

But your comparison is completely unequal. You have on one side Hatton, who has been in the ring on PPV infront of American audiences in two out of the 5 biggest PPV fights in boxing history.

And in the other corner, Chad, who is wallowing in the shadows fighting opponents who's claim to fame is beating a past it Roy Jones.

My "hypothesis" in this situation is that foreign fighters are not as respected and less popular in America than American raised fighters.

To test this scientifically (or factually, or using logic) you have to get rid of all the other factors, make everything equal (skills, resume, etc.) and then just test how that one factor influences the popularity.

That is why I brought up Froch/Pavlik. They have similar resumes, skills. But one is European and one is American. Which one has a bigger fan base in America? Is it because he is American?
          My, how the mighty have fallen:
          You're trying to make ur point comparing Kelly pavliks star power pacquaiou how ****ing stupid is that? Who deserves more star power based on resume and skills? Pacman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Songbird View Post
            Hes lost too many fights to be a superstar, since 2000 he has very few tko's, he doesnt have a winning streak and thus hes not a superstar

get it?
            Using that logic, Arturo Gatti should've never been a superstar.

Comment

get it?
              Atruro Gatti????????

Comment

LOL most if not all superstars have what i listed, damn i would have thought this was easy

is gatti really on the level of other "superstars" who have it, answer honestly now

or was gatti even actually a superstar at all, or just a very good entertaining fighter but not quite a superstar, a star no doubt but if gatti is a superstar then what are the likes of tyson, pac etc?

Comment

LOL most if not all superstars have what i listed, damn i would have thought this was easy

is gatti really on the level of other "superstars" who have it, answer honestly now

or was gatti even actually a superstar at all, or just a very good entertaining fighter but not quite a superstar, a star no doubt but if gatti is a superstar then what are the likes of tyson, pac etc?
                  If you measure stars by the number of losses they have, then it doesn't matter. Arturo Gatti was a TV star in the late nineties who suffered a string of losses, then fell off the map. Then was resurrected and became an even BIGGER star. Let me put it this way: Gatti's sole PPV against Floyd Mayweather (who couldn't draw flies to **** at the time and was not even a star prior to), sold more PPV's then any fight Bernard Hopkins has participated in. Probably even against Tito. Not to mention, Gatti sold out Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall every time out and has had more HBO appearances than anyone in the history of the sport.

Comment

That is correct.

I think you have this the wrong way round. Hatton didn't become popular because he had those fights, he got those fights because he was popular.

After beating Castillo-who was further past his prime than either Tarver or Johnson are IMO-Hatton was more popular than Chad Dawson is right now.

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                    You could just as easily argue that Hatton's claim to fame was beating a past it Tszyu, with the difference being that Jones was better skilled, more successful and more popular than Tszyu.

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                    My "hypothesis" in this situation is that foreign fighters are not as respected and less popular in America than American raised fighters.

The problem with the argument is that Froch isn't even popular in his own country. His fight with Dirrell was shown in the UK by a company responsible for PPV **** channels who had never been involved in boxing or any other sport before. His fight against Taylor was only available to watch live in the UK on an internet stream.

Why don't we compare Pavlik with another foreign boxer: Edison Miranda.

From what I recall, going into Pavlik-Miranda, a large number of people expected Miranda to win, and he was the more popular boxer. This despite the fact that Pavlik is American and Miranda is Colombian.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      If you measure stars by the number of losses they have, then it doesn't matter. Arturo Gatti was a TV star in the late nineties who suffered a string of losses, then fell off the map. Then was resurrected and became an even BIGGER star. Let me put it this way: Gatti's sole PPV against Floyd Mayweather (who couldn't draw flies to **** at the time and was not even a star prior to), sold more PPV's then any fight Bernard Hopkins has participated in. Probably even against Tito. Not to mention, Gatti sold out Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall every time out and has had more HBO appearances than anyone in the history of the sport.
                      Did he sell more ppvs than the likes of tyson and pac?

Comment

Working...
                      X