No announcement yet.

The 10 greatest chins of all time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    In fact they are all former world champs and HOFFA's to boot..
    Really?

In that case it would appear that Stanley Weston left out at least a couple of those guys.

Comment

Ali had a grat recovery powers but hed been dropped a few times and i think because of that he won't and probably shouldn't make that list.

a brilliant list by battling nelson, im just curious bat did you copy and paste that link from a different website or is that a list from your own boxing memory and knowledge?

of modern times i think toney, mcall, tua, DLH, monzon and hagler all deserve a mention

Comment

Thanks Jab.. Yes.... I knew there was at least one I'd left out.. Greb should be there 4 sure...
        Seen some calls for Ali to, but we're talking the best of all time, not the last 50 years or so..
        With regard to Dempsey... Wasn't he starched by Fireman Jimmy Flynn in less than a minute?....
        Out cold for over 20 secs, so the story goes...
        Muhammad Ali took the best punch of all the Heavyweight Champions.

There was acually a thread on here not long ago about that,and I believe EVERYBODY on this website picked Muhammad Ali.

What Heavyweight Champion do you think took the best punch?

BTW-Ali could also take the best "body punches" of all-time.

Comment

Emmm... The dodgy 20's, & I wonder how many dived for him???...
          Now that's a good question.

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
          Muhammad Ali took the best punch of all the Heavyweight Champions.

There was acually a thread on here not long ago about that,and I believe EVERYBODY on this website picked Muhammad Ali.

What Heavyweight Champion do you think took the best punch?

BTW-Ali could also take the best "body punches" of all-time.
          As been said numerous times already, The Atomic Bull, Oliver McCall.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            Now that's a good question.

As been said numerous times already, The Atomic Bull, Oliver McCall.
            I will take Sonny Liston.

Comment

Obviously Ali and Marciano.

One good pick would be Gerald McClellan. He walked through all of Julian Jackson's punches, and that lad is considered to be the hardest pound for pound puncher of all time. The same thing occured against Benn and only a developing bloodclot in his brain could stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
                Ali had a grat recovery powers but hed been dropped a few times and i think because of that he won't and probably shouldn't make that list.

a brilliant list by battling nelson, im just curious bat did you copy and paste that link from a different website or is that a list from your own boxing memory and knowledge?

of modern times i think toney, mcall, tua, DLH, monzon and hagler all deserve a mention
                Battling Nelson was dropped several times in his career. More times than Ali and yet he's included. Ali should be there as well.

The list was copied from another site. As stated it's compiled by Stanley Weston and is from Ring Magazine. The article can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/T...atestchins.htm

Comment

Ali's early knockdowns were results of him not being fully developed yet. He'd taken much harder shots later on without blinking so you can only really count the Frazier knockdown. And that one is known to be one of the most perfect punches ever landed and Ali just got up in 3 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
                    Ali's early knockdowns were results of him not being fully developed yet. He'd taken much harder shots later on without blinking so you can only really count the Frazier knockdown. And that one is known to be one of the most perfect punches ever landed and Ali just got up in 3 seconds.
                    An 'undeveloped' 20 year old Battling Nelson fought Christy Williams in 1902 and was KD'ed 9 times. Williams was down 42 times though before hearing the 10-count in round 17. The 51 KD's is a record to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                      Really?

In that case it would appear that Stanley Weston left out at least a couple of those guys.
                      Yes he did... I based the list on 10 world champs compiling 1410 fights with only 6 incoming KO's.. Pretty unbelievable when you think about the amount of leather thrown.. I wouldn't say it's 100% though.. For 2 reasons..
                      Firstly, there isn't any heavyweights on the list, & I think it's fair to say that it was they who took the hardest blows.. Ali has to be up there on the shots he absorbed from so many noted punchers, but he had no where near as many fights.. And also, I forgot Harry Greb who was stopped only twice in almost 300 bouts...
                      It could also be argued that 1 or 2 of them were defensive geniuses...
                      Last edited by mickey malone; 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X