No announcement yet.

Ultimate Boxing Championship?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
    But the "MMA model" is the model used by pretty much every major sport in the US.

It's clearly the best way to fix boxing.
    That's the way I see it too, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
      there should be only 3 orgs. no silver/reg/diamond belts. this aint gasoline.

instead of me getting bent up over these obvious flaws in boxing (and i used to hulk out all the time), i just cancel out the politics and watch the interesting fights that do get made.

even if the sport did the right thing, would the promoters/networks ?

good stuff is on the horizon
      Gasoline.

Yeah, the best fights being made is what it's all about. But nowadays, the best fights aren't forced. They may happen. They may not? Well, usually not. That's a problem.

In the NBA, the cavs didn't get to pull out with an injury. The playoffs happens come hell or high water. Boxing is an individual sport, sure, but I still say the show goes on. Customers come first. Or you'll be out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by AneesMoha View Post
        If this Idea takes root the following things need to happen.

1) UBC needs have a boatload of capital to start.
        2) A TV deal needs to be in place with a Major network. And get a whole lot of advertising
        3) Sign a couple of Marquee names to an exclusive contract. (They can only fight in UBC)
        4) Run monthly PPVS for a fraction of the price of Regular PPVs.
        5) Have on screen talent that keep repeating that the UBC is the best of the best of Boxing

why is this sounding like pro wrestling??
        Great points.

Totally agree, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
          Great points.

Totally agree, man.
          Dammit for some reason this has been in the back of my mind all day.

If it was my business besides what i said earlier i would implement the following.

Introduce a downside starting at $85K per annum between fights. So if fighters are hurt they still have an jncome while recuperating or training.
          Eliminate purse negotiations. Fighters will be remunerated as follows. 1) A percentage of the house ie the more people come to watch the fight the more they get. A ppv split if they fight on ppv. And a 70/30 split of the fight purse between the winner and the loser. 60/40 in case of a title fight. This is done accross the board.

Next i would ban regydrating and cutting weight. If you fight at 147 you better be 147 10 mins before the fight. Eliminates people cutting weight and rehydrating huge or people killing themselves to cut weight.

Hire ex fighters to be judges and have a clear standard as to what rounds are judged on and let the fans know these criteria.

Comment

But the "MMA model" is the model used by pretty much every major sport in the US.

It's clearly the best way to fix boxing.
            UFC works to the degree it does because it was a pioneer. Most people think "UFC" is the name of the sport.

What boxing promoter could sign basically EVERY top level fighter? Especially when you can't split the money the way UFC does (aka the company gets the lion's share).

"UBC" would do exactly what everyone cries about Bob Arum doing, matching only their own guys

Comment

Originally posted by AneesMoha View Post
              Dammit for some reason this has been in the back of my mind all day.

If it was my business besides what i said earlier i would implement the following.

Introduce a downside starting at $85K per annum between fights. So if fighters are hurt they still have an jncome while recuperating or training.
              Eliminate purse negotiations. Fighters will be remunerated as follows. 1) A percentage of the house ie the more people come to watch the fight the more they get. A ppv split if they fight on ppv. And a 70/30 split of the fight purse between the winner and the loser. 60/40 in case of a title fight. This is done accross the board.

Next i would ban regydrating and cutting weight. If you fight at 147 you better be 147 10 mins before the fight. Eliminates people cutting weight and rehydrating huge or people killing themselves to cut weight.

Hire ex fighters to be judges and have a clear standard as to what rounds are judged on and let the fans know these criteria.
              Oh yeah. I'd love to see same-day weigh-ins come back. All the dehydrating is not good long term and when you have a guy weighing 155 on fight night for a shot at the 140 pound title, I mean, how is that not f'd up?

Comment

Originally posted by Holystroke3 View Post
                UFC works to the degree it does because it was a pioneer. Most people think "UFC" is the name of the sport.
                I hear that argument a lot, but the counter argument is that people don't think NFL, NBA, MLB, etc are the name of the sport. Most sports fans expect there to be one dominant league to follow where most of the best compete. Boxing not having an organized league has been incredibly damaging to the sport.

Boxing is a worldwide sport and always will be, but at least in the US, there should be an organized major boxing league for fans to follow that replaces the sanctioning bodies.

What boxing promoter could sign basically EVERY top level fighter? Especially when you can't split the money the way UFC does (aka the company gets the lion's share).
                Haymon is a manager and has signed basically every top level American fighter. If White offered enough money, he could take Haymon's entire stable overnight and start a league with it.

"UBC" would do exactly what everyone cries about Bob Arum doing, matching only their own guys
                People cry about Bob because most of his guys suck. Bob's whole business model is to **** block 3-4 divisions by hiding his stars behing WBOgus titles while they fight a bunch of nobodies.

Haymon does in house fights just as often, but he actually has in house fights people want to see.

Comment

I hear that argument a lot, but the counter argument is that people don't think NFL, NBA, MLB, etc are the name of the sport. Most sports fans expect there to be one dominant league to follow where most of the best compete. Boxing not having an organized league has been incredibly damaging to the sport.

Boxing is a worldwide sport and always will be, but at least in the US, there should be an organized major boxing league for fans to follow that replaces the sanctioning bodies.

Haymon is a manager and has signed basically every top level American fighter. If White offered enough money, he could take Haymon's entire stable overnight and start a league with it.

People cry about Bob because most of his guys suck. Bob's whole business model is to **** block 3-4 divisions by hiding his stars behing WBOgus titles while they fight a bunch of nobodies.

Haymon does in house fights just as often, but he actually has in house fights people want to see.
                  Great breakdown, man

Comment

So everyone join one league, and be at the mercy of that league for fights, rankings, and most importantly purses? I'm sure every fighter will go for that

Comment

Originally posted by Holystroke3 View Post
                      So everyone join one league, and be at the mercy of that league for fights, rankings, and most importantly purses? I'm sure every fighter will go for that
                      Not a bad point.

So you're satisfied with the way things currently are?

Comment

Working...
                      X