No announcement yet.

Ford to scrap $1.3 billion Mexico plant, invest $700 million in Michigan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford to scrap $1.3 billion Mexico plant, invest $700 million in Michigan

"Ford Motor Company on Tuesday announced plans to cancel the building of a $1.3 billion plant in Mexico and instead invest $700 million in a Michigan assembly plant, directly tying the decision to “pro-growth policies” championed by President-elect Donald Trump.

Trump had previously been critical of Ford’s plans to build in Mexico.

CEO Mark Fields, speaking at an event at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant, said the policies that Trump “and the new Congress have indicated they will pursue” were vital to the company’s decision.

“We believe these tax and regulatory reforms are necessary to boost U.S. competitiveness,” Fields said.

The investment in the Flat Rock plant is set to create 700 jobs, according to Fields. The money will be used to open a new factory used to build high-tech autonomous and electric vehicles as well as the Mustang and Lincoln Continental, the company said in a press release.

"I am thrilled that we have been able to secure additional UAW-Ford jobs for American workers," UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles said in the release. "The men and women of Flat Rock Assembly have shown a great commitment to manufacturing quality products, and we look forward to their continued success with a new generation of high-tech vehicles.""

Source:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-policies.html

Go Trump!!

Creating/saving American jobs before even taking office. Just imagine the progress after he's sworn in.

Trump Trump Trump

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...o-us/96106334/

Ford's expansion will convert 700 temporary jobs at the Michigan plant into permanent positions, adding to an existing hourly staff of about 3,600.

How many jobs has Trump saved now 1,000-1,700? That is about .11% of the jobs Obama saved in the auto industry.
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

not impressed, would be impressed if they would have plans to invest the 1.3 billion into a plant in Michigan, instead they only committing half the amount they were going to commit into mexico into the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MIKEY! View Post
          not impressed, would be impressed if they would have plans to invest the 1.3 billion into a plant in Michigan, instead they only committing half the amount they were going to commit into mexico into the U.S.
          Some people you just can't satisfy.

Keep in mind, since the facility in Flat Rock is already there and producing (my '07 and '08 Mustang GTs were built there), upgrading it should cost less than building a new factory in Mexico.

Either way, Trump saved/created more jobs, just as I said.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...o-us/96106334/

Ford's expansion will convert 700 temporary jobs at the Michigan plant into permanent positions, adding to an existing hourly staff of about 3,600.
            Yup, good news.

Now those 700 American workers get benefits because they are now full time, and they will put more tax money in Federal coffers with their increased salaries.

win-win. Again.

Why the whining?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              Yup, good news.

Now those 700 American workers get benefits because they are now full time, and they will put more tax money in Federal coffers with their increased salaries.

win-win. Again.

Why the whining?
              How is posting an article related to the topic and highlighting a potion of the article whining?

Nothing that I saw said their salaries/wages would be increased, just that they are now FT.

He got Ford to convert 700 jobs from PT to FT. That is nothing to brag about or even discuss IMO but hey, I get it.

Comment

The Donald be putting in work!

He also threatened GM stating GM should produce the hatchback Cruzes in the Good 'Ole U.S. of A or face huge border tax.

If the Donald ain't your Prez, then leave. WTF??? I didn't vote for Obama but he was still my Prez. We have to come together as a country and back our leaders up. Any sports team will tell you the same. If there is not 100% support for the coaching staff, the team ain't going nowhere.

Let's see what Trump and the Republicans can do to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN...So far so good.

Comment

How is posting an article related to the topic and highlighting a potion of the article whining?
                  Ok, I should have said 'complaining'. Happy now?

Nothing that I saw said their salaries/wages would be increased, just that they are now FT.
                  Um, when you get more hours, you get more money on your check.

Plus, full time employees get benefits part-timers do not.

Is this really something you did not know previous???

He got Ford to convert 700 jobs from PT to FT. That is nothing to brag about or even discuss IMO but hey, I get it.
                  cherry-picking.

You left out the $700 million investment (which will be taxed), and the fact Mexico doesn't get a new plant.

When you start being intellectually honest, you might start getting it.....

Comment

And if Trump gets rid of, or drastically cuts, CAFE standards, that will be a huge boon to the automakers.

They don't make much money on these 'golf cart' cars they have to sell to meet CAFE standards. They make big money on trucks, SUVs, and fun cars Americans want. Let them build more of those and less golf carts and the profits go up (and costs to consumers go down).

More win-win, except for D superfans.

Comment

Working...
                    X