Bert Sugar Top 10 Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    Thanks Poet!

Just to let you know, I was just elected the President of the New Jersey Association of USA Boxing. Now I am the President of that organization, as well as the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame for 24 years, the New Jersey Diamond Gloves for almost as long (Plus the Historian of both Organizations for almost 30 years) and I am also the President of the North Jersey Majors Met League (Baseball).

Besides that I am on the International Boxing Hall of Fame selection Committee for both the modern and old-timers section. I am proud of that as all the boxers that were selected this year in both categories, 3 in each, I voted for.

Thanks again, Henry Hascup
    Very impressive!. Good to see you back posting here aswell!

Just for comparison, here is Reg Gutteridges top 10 list's:

First 50 Years

Jack Johnson
    Gene Tunney
    Jack Dempsey
    James J. Jeffries
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    James J. Corbett
    John L. Sullivan
    Tommy Burns
    Max Schmeling
    Max Baer

Last 50 Years

Joe Louis
    Muhammad Ali
    Rocky Maricano
    Mike Tyson
    George Foreman
    Larry Holmes
    Sonny Liston
    Joe Frazier
    Jersey Joe Waltott
    Ezzard Charles
    Last edited by The Iron Man; 01-05-2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Sonny what is the rough date of this list?
      Also has it been gleaned from his top 100 pfp fighters? I only ask that because if so then it will skew the list a bit, re Charles and Tunney.
      Great respect for Tunney but he had what 3 fights as a heavy?

Comment

Here's the 2 lists that Bert Sugar listed that I saw:

Sugar's top 10 heavyweights

1. Joe Louis
        2. Muhammad Ali
        3. Jack Dempsey
        4. Jack Johnson
        5. Gene Tunney
        6. Rocky Marciano
        7. Ezzard Charles
        8. George Foreman
        9. Joe Frazier
        10. Larry Holmes
        Source: "Ringside: The Ten Greatest Heavyweights," ESPN Classic

Bert Sugar, 1991

1.Jack Dempsey
        2.Joe Louis
        3.Muhammad Ali
        4.Jack Johnson
        5.Gene Tunney
        6.Rocky Marciano
        7.Joe Frazier
        8.Larry Holmes
        9.Sonny Liston
        10.Mike Tyson

I am suppose to be with him this coming Sunday in New York at the Ring 8 Christmas Party at Russo's on the Bay.
        Sort of begs the question, who did Dempsey and Louis fight between the publication of the two lists to alter their standings?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          Sort of begs the question, who did Dempsey and Louis fight between the publication of the two lists to alter their standings?

I had the same question, so I asked Bert and he said he learned listen to what other had to say. Meaning that he took the opinions of people that knew what they were talking about, like old time trainers, historians, etc.

I most likely will see him this Sunday. A few years ago he came with a book on the New York Golden Gloves and I said to him, how much are they. He said do you want one, and I said yes, how much are they. He said, for what you do for boxing, don't be silly, it's no charge for you. A few days later I received one through the mail.

Comment

Greatest Heavyweight Boxers, IMO
            1. Joe Louis
            2. Muhammad Ali
            3. Larry Holmes
            4. George Foreman
            5. Rocky Marciano
            6. Joe Frazier
            7.. Jack Johnson
            8. Jack Dempsey
            9. Evander Holyfield
            10. Mike Tyson

Comment

1. Fury
              2. Lewis
              3. Ali

Comment

Originally posted by ezcharles View Post
                Greatest Heavyweight Boxers, IMO
                1. Joe Louis
                2. Muhammad Ali
                3. Larry Holmes
                4. George Foreman
                5. Rocky Marciano
                6. Joe Frazier
                7.. Jack Johnson
                8. Jack Dempsey
                9. Evander Holyfield
                10. Mike Tyson
                That looks like a pretty solid list. But isn't Dempsey usually ranked ahead of Johnson? I know a little more about Dempsey know, but not much about Johnson, so maybe you guys could help me out on that. I've heard tell of Johnson's resume being somewhat overrated, which is why I ask.

Comment

I had the same question, so I asked Bert and he said he learned listen to what other had to say. Meaning that he took the opinions of people that knew what they were talking about, like old time trainers, historians, etc.

I most likely will see him this Sunday. A few years ago he came with a book on the New York Golden Gloves and I said to him, how much are they. He said do you want one, and I said yes, how much are they. He said, for what you do for boxing, don't be silly, it's no charge for you. A few days later I received one through the mail.
                  Always great to see you posting in the section. What is your take on what I sometimes call the "Tunney dilemna?" Tunney was one of the great fighters...I personally rank him top 5. But as a heavyweight he did not do much, compared to his work as a light heavy. Were talking Greb, Loughrin, Carpentier, Levinsky...

I suppose he could go on both lists and be considered perhaps the greatest light heavy and a great heavyweigh... But is that kosher? so to speak? Or is it better to consider him on one list, or the other? In your opinion.

Comment

so many necromancers in this section...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Always great to see you posting in the section. What is your take on what I sometimes call the "Tunney dilemna?" Tunney was one of the great fighters...I personally rank him top 5. But as a heavyweight he did not do much, compared to his work as a light heavy. Were talking Greb, Loughrin, Carpentier, Levinsky...

I suppose he could go on both lists and be considered perhaps the greatest light heavy and a great heavyweigh... But is that kosher? so to speak? Or is it better to consider him on one list, or the other? In your opinion.
                      Why are you responding to a post that was ten years ago which is over a decade ? Wow you really are out there why would you have to claim it’s great to see him ,the thread seemingly has been here forever when it started . Ha . I don’t know but wouldn’t it be better to just start your own thread about the subject and then attach his name to your post with a question since it’s 2021 ?
                      Last edited by REDEEMER; 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X