Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today 77 years ago, Louis KO Conn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--- The media in general have all the intentions of being asinine with a few noted exceptions of some beloved icons.

Refer to Loony Teddy and sycophant kellerman as case in point.

Comment

[QUOTE=QueensburyRules;18887930]--- Some Joe Louisisms:

He can run but he can't hide, the Conn fight.

I'd make you one of my bums too, after Ali ridiculed him for his bum of the month club.

Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

My favorite when queried by an asinine reporter, "Joe, they say you don't like it to the body"

WHO DO?[/QUOTE

Please tell me more Louisisms

Comment

Conn took some viscious punches in the rounds prior to the KO. I was surprised how well Conn stood up to them especially since he was 20 pounds lighter. He tore into Joe quite a few times. In a rematch though he wouldn't do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post

Please tell me more Louisisms
          --- Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die...Joe Louis...

Comment

Wow. Brilliant.

Comment

I like this Joe Louis quote myself:

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Conn took some viscious punches in the rounds prior to the KO. I was surprised how well Conn stood up to them especially since he was 20 pounds lighter. He tore into Joe quite a few times. In a rematch though he wouldn't do as well.
                I think a lot of people forget Conn was beating heavyweight contenders before fighting Louis. Joe embarrassed himself by not taking the fight seriously, but Conn was an all time great fighter. It took Joe some time to figure him out but when he did it was curtains. Who knows how this might have played out if Billy could have stayed away a few more rounds.

Comment

We should note that there is a difference between Conn continuing to box and just staying away.

With the scoring after 12 rounds, Conn still needed to win one of the final three rounds to gain a SD and the title. (Two rounds gets him a UD)

If Conn 'just stays away' and gives away all three of the final rounds he loses a MD.

Comment

Working...
                  X