Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC up for sale & Showtime about to pull the plug on boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by john l View Post
    Its easy MOST on here are fanboys of certain fighters and NOT fans of boxing.Thats why I cant stand them because NO FIGHTER comes before the sport to me.To give an example I was a big fan of B-HOP im talking about the 160pd version who scored a lot of KOs(although I also liked the older version also) but when he fought Tayler I rooted for Tayler.The reason was that most of us thought at time B-HOP was getting ready to retire and wanted to see the undisputed title stay intact.Now had B-HOP won and retired it would have split up title and that's not good for boxing.If Tayler won he COULD have become new star and belts would have stayed together.Now we all know B-HOP never retired and Tayler never became that star, but at time it was what was best FOR BOXING.Same with this AJ v Wilder deal ALL these guys rooting for EITHER to lose are idiot fanboys of one or the other(AJ fans MUCH worse).Boxing NEEDS this fight and I for one will be rooting for a trilogy that means I will be rooting for WHO EVER LOSES the 1st one.
    I hate when people use that dumb talk. No sport is above a human being. Don't you see its a tool to enslave the athlete. ALL athletes are bigger than the sport period! No athlete then no sport, duh And B-Hop was robbed against taylor.

Comment

• Really good podcast here with John Nash and Kurt Emhoff breaking down the potential sale between the PBC and Endeavor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        Premier Boxing Champions For Sale

As noted on Friday (5.18), the prevailing thought amongst boxing insiders is that it was Al Haymon who invested at least $10M into last night’s Wilder-Breazeale fight to keep Deontay on his side of the street. The belief is that Premier Boxing Champions is for sale (or that Haymon is raising capital) and that he needs the heavyweight champion to pull down the highest multiple. There’s been speculation that Endeavor would have interest in PBC, but that seems unlikely. As one boxing insider told us “Haymon’s fighters may not fight often, but he’s paid them through the roof; Endeavor is not going to buy something with a model diametrically opposed to their MMA business.” FYI:Nearly half (41%) of the UFC’s +/- 500 fighters earn less than $45,000/year.

Showtime Boxing On The Ropes

HBO’s decision to exit the boxing business left Showtime as the sole premium cable channel invested in the sport, but whispers that they too are on bought time are getting louder and as one industry insider told us “at some point somebody above Stephen Espinoza is going to pull the plug because it doesn’t make sense to be spending $30 million, $40 million, $50 million/year on a sport and sit third on the totem pole (behind ESPN & DAZN). I don’t believe a lot of subscribers would turn off Showtime if they stopped doing boxing.”

The ratings from last night’s (5.18) Wilder-Breazeale fight (not yet released at time of print) could go a long way towards making that decision for the network. As reported in Friday’s (5.17) newsletter, Showtime is paying a record licensing fee to broadcast the bout. The network needs to draw 1 million viewers for the show to be considered a success; “if it does just 700,000 or 800,000 homes, it’s going to be embarrassing from a business standpoint.”

https://johnwallstreet.com/showtime-...-on-the-ropes/
        The fight officially did only 791K viewers on Showtime.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
          Why didn't he beat the top guy at 135, 147 and 154?

Why was he cherrypicking?

Don't deflect, please answer the questions directly.
          Floyd Mayweather won the IBF welterweight title against Judah in 2006. He then vacated as there was no way he was going to fight Cintron. He then he fought Baldomir later that year to win the WBC.

He was campaigning at welterweight for pretty much all of the time excluding the time off 'retired' between 2008 and 2009. The dominant welterweights around that time were Cotto, Margarito and Williams.

He came back out of retirement when Margarito was out of action, Cintron and Williams had moved up and Pacquiao and Cotto were fighting each other.

You keep talking about lineal which shows how dumb you are as Pacquiao has more lineal champions on his list and at their best weight. He beat Marquez, Barrera and Morales at super feather. He also beat Bradley and Cotto at welter and when they were at their peak.

When you look at Floyd's record, it's more a case of who he didn't fight during certain time periods that show how much of a paper champion he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
            People always want to play the race card when PBC/Haymon get criticized. It never fails!
            Why would anyone criticize the good (PBC/Haymon)?

Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              6 years of ducking.

When Pacquiao moved up to 147, the top 4 fighters ranked in the division were Mosley, Cotto, Margarito and Clottey. In under 2 years he fought all of them.

He also wanted Mayweather in this time, but Floyd ducked for 6 years straight.

As well as ruining boxing in the states.
              All your boxing institutions are failing.
              Stop the dumb talk. T.B.E. offered #48 the fight in 2009 & in 2009 bob arum said no for manny to take the test then blamed T.B.E. Now people who can't use common sense & put things together would blame T.B.E. instead of blaming the man who wouldn't take the test....LMMFAO!

Give it up dude, T.B.E. brought boxing to its pinnacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                Im not too good on American Sports tv but Wilder fights usually break a million quite easily dont they? I think only thing to save Showtime Boxing is Wilder AJ on PPV and Spence Crawford on PPV but DAZN and ESPN are willing to pay a much bigger guarantee than Espinoza is so they are a bit stuck and thats why Haymon has his top fighters going sideways rather than taking the fights the public want. He dont want to give them up to the other networks but cant muscle them out of the way to get it his way.
                791k. Record fee for 791k isn't good. In fact it's terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  791k. Record fee for 791k isn't good. In fact it's terrible.
                  Really? On regular Showtime? In massive America?

Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    Like I said he just didn't beat the top guy, he beat the top 4 in 18 months.

Can you name me another fighter than has done this?

Floyd's ducking and cherry picking made the America fan base to become disillusion with boxing.

Floyd recruited sampled minded fanboys who were his fans and not fans of boxing.
                    Dumb talk ^ T.B.E. has the best resume in history, duh

Comment

• Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                      Stop the dumb talk. T.B.E. offered #48 the fight in 2009 & in 2009 bob arum said no for manny to take the test then blamed T.B.E. Now people who can't use common sense & put things together would blame T.B.E. instead of blaming the man who wouldn't take the test....LMMFAO!

Give it up dude, T.B.E. brought boxing to its pinnacle.

And you are the reason why Boxing is falling down the rankings in America.

You reap what you sow

Comment

Working...
                      X