Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GGG past his prime? Let's look at video evidence comparing each of his punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming EVERYONE 36 years old in professional boxing is past their primes.

Most great fighters in the history of the sport were garbage if not already retired by 36 years old. The fact he's in the position he's in now fighting perhaps the biggest fight of his career is a testament to him retaining ability into his later years & probably a benefit of being from this era where guys fight less & don't get ground down quite as fast either.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
      This is ridiculous. I haven't seen any evidence that GGG has declined and these videos prove nothing.
      I thought GGG looked the worst I ever seen him look in the first rd or three of the first fight with Canelo. Thats not to say Canelo streamrolled him or anything, but physically he looked & moved like a older man. He seemed dad-ish in the ring for lack of a better way to describe it. I was thinking for a minute this was gonna be a one sided schooling by Canelo.

To GGG's credit he started turning things around after those first few rounds, but if he still looked very un-GGG-like in those first couple rds & I've never seen him look that worn/old/out of it.

Maybe something was going on with him, maybe the bright lights of that fight impacted him starting up right off or something, but maybe its a sign of him hitting a certain mile marker on his body.

I think its a possibility we see something similar in this fight cuz Canelo is a much more adaptable fighter & if he gots his stamina improved to fight 3mins of each rd I think its possible that Byrd card last time out could be a legit score this time out. Possible not probable for the fanboys who might wanna freak out over my last remark with their dummy ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I thought GGG looked the worst I ever seen him look in the first rd or three of the first fight with Canelo. Thats not to say Canelo streamrolled him or anything, but physically he looked & moved like a older man. He seemed dad-ish in the ring for lack of a better way to describe it. I was thinking for a minute this was gonna be a one sided schooling by Canelo.

To GGG's credit he started turning things around after those first few rounds, but if he still looked very un-GGG-like in those first couple rds & I've never seen him look that worn/old/out of it.

Maybe something was going on with him, maybe the bright lights of that fight impacted him starting up right off or something, but maybe its a sign of him hitting a certain mile marker on his body.

I think its a possibility we see something similar in this fight cuz Canelo is a much more adaptable fighter & if he gots his stamina improved to fight 3mins of each rd I think its possible that Byrd card last time out could be a legit score this time out. Possible not probable for the fanboys who might wanna freak out over my last remark with their dummy ass.
        Canelo and stamina go tegether like water and oil. Hes a classic gasser.

Comment

Of course he is past his prime. He started to deteriorate after David Lemieux fight.

However, in saying that, he is still an elite fighter and the number one Middleweight in the world. Even a 36 year old GGG can still probably beat all top middleweights and contenders as we speak.

Comment

Spot on.
            GGG did look out of sorts until rnd 4.
            Whether the big occasion and bright lights or maybe the build up to the fight or quite possibly the age factor but certainly he lacked a step.
            We will all see the truth this weekend.
            For me i hope GGG succeeds but I really can only see Canelo winning a tight fight.

Comment

Firstly, I am a massive GGG fan - he is my favorite fighter.

I do agree with you though. I thought GGG won this fight 8-4 / 7-5 but it was definitely the worst he ever looked. He was slow, sloppy, wild and his body punching/ring cutting abilities were absent. This was very strange. Even though the Jacobs fight was close, GGG was still technically sound and fought well. Jacobs was just a great challenger.

In my opinion, part of it has do with the skill of Canelo but something was off with that fight. Even the Vanes fight, he looked pretty good. It could of just been an off night for GGG. I fully expect him to come out and show us the GGG we used to know. A sharp solid jab, regular body punches, left hooks and a much better job at cutting off the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinkyokushin92 View Post
                Firstly, I am a massive GGG fan - he is my favorite fighter.

I do agree with you though. I thought GGG won this fight 8-4 / 7-5 but it was definitely the worst he ever looked. He was slow, sloppy, wild and his body punching/ring cutting abilities were absent. This was very strange. Even though the Jacobs fight was close, GGG was still technically sound and fought well. Jacobs was just a great challenger.
                Yea the lack of body punches vs Canelo struck me as super odd during the fight even as well. Idk if that was some strategic decision or if he just felt they weren't there for him or didn't wanna throw them for some reason, but to me body punches seemed like something that woulda turned the tide more his way & woulda been a low risk, high reward tactic that night.

In my opinion, part of it has do with the skill of Canelo but something was off with that fight. Even the Vanes fight, he looked pretty good. It could of just been an off night for GGG. I fully expect him to come out and show us the GGG we used to know. A sharp solid jab, regular body punches, left hooks and a much better job at cutting off the ring.
                I don't think you can take too much from the Vanes fight. Vanes was overmatched, probably not in the best fighting shape with the short notice call up & was coming up in weight.

I do hope we see the best of both guys obviously, but with GGG's age its possible on any night we see him get old & that could be Saturday. Hopefully its not doe.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
                  Spot on.
                  GGG did look out of sorts until rnd 4.
                  Whether the big occasion and bright lights or maybe the build up to the fight or quite possibly the age factor but certainly he lacked a step.
                  We will all see the truth this weekend.
                  For me i hope GGG succeeds but I really can only see Canelo winning a tight fight.
                  I expect a tight fight, like last time, but imagine if we were to see those first few rds of the first fight version of GGG the whole fight Saturday? It will be a much wider fight if that happens. Not saying it will. I wouldn't bet on it. But I believe its a possible outcome here if that last Canelo beginning was a sign of things to come.

Randomly I'm also not sure what to make of GGG's self-hyped up attitude for this fight. He's been a fairly stoic type cat he's whole run. Idk that I like that type of cat to be all hyped up & wanting revenge & all these emotional things running through his veins. Idk if that means he's gonna use up too much energy early in the fight & perhaps gas out early or be more risk taking for no good reason. Maybe he goes old school Russian gangster on Canelo & goes super stoic & business-like once they hit the ring & all these emotions he's never shown much of in the past all go away idk. But him being less stoic & more emotional this time out has me questioning how that could impact his performance Saturday.

And also I kinda feel that way with Canelo to for full disclosure cuz they are saying they flipped up his whole thing upside down so idk wtf that means, but when you get to the highest point of this sport doing a, b & c it almost always is a bad idea to start doing x, y & z in your biggest fight. Not to say it never works out or anything.

Comment

I think he just pushes forward these days. I think he’s less refined than he used to be. But until he loses who can say he needs to do more than that.

Comment

I expect a tight fight, like last time, but imagine if we were to see those first few rds of the first fight version of GGG the whole fight Saturday? It will be a much wider fight if that happens. Not saying it will. I wouldn't bet on it. But I believe its a possible outcome here if that last Canelo beginning was a sign of things to come.

Randomly I'm also not sure what to make of GGG's self-hyped up attitude for this fight. He's been a fairly stoic type cat he's whole run. Idk that I like that type of cat to be all hyped up & wanting revenge & all these emotional things running through his veins. Idk if that means he's gonna use up too much energy early in the fight & perhaps gas out early or be more risk taking for no good reason. Maybe he goes old school Russian gangster on Canelo & goes super stoic & business-like once they hit the ring & all these emotions he's never shown much of in the past all go away idk. But him being less stoic & more emotional this time out has me questioning how that could impact his performance Saturday.

And also I kinda feel that way with Canelo to for full disclosure cuz they are saying they flipped up his whole thing upside down so idk wtf that means, but when you get to the highest point of this sport doing a, b & c it almost always is a bad idea to start doing x, y & z in your biggest fight. Not to say it never works out or anything.
                      Well said.
                      And good observations.
                      Your pretty much spot on. This will either help drive GGG to a career defining win or its going to back fire.
                      Both have alot riding on this fight.
                      I loved the last fight and am certain their will be some fireworks esp. early on.
                      Two great boxers putting it all out their for us fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X