Mayweather isn't a big welter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
    Yea you can~

Should he not get credit for fighting bigger men?

Yes he should get credit for fighting bigger men by all means..

Does he have to fight constantly bigger and bigger men?

No, but after beating every significant name fighter from his era, not named pacquaio, where's the challenge if he's fighting dudes his size or smaller, who don't pose a serious threat, unless he's at the end of his rope?

Cotto, Oscar and all those guys you listed started below 147, Martinez, and Trout started 147 or above so you are missing a key difference between the guys. Canelo started lower but remember he was a teenager when he began his career and he wasn't below 147 for very long

...and your point is?....again, he's the #1 p4p fighter in the world...shouldn't make a hell of a difference...skillwise or otherwise, nobody confuses mayweather with canelo, trout, or martinez...
    There comes a point when you have to know your limitations and going beyond them provides diminishing returns~

I would also say Floyd is at the end of his rope at 147, he may be able to pick his spots higher (which is what he has done) but he isn't the same fighter. I would say Floyd is in a much more precarious position given his age and inactivity, so a lot more guys than you think are serious threats to him.

There will always be some new challenge out there though as boxing is very fluid~

Comment

He's a normal sized Welter now. When he came up from 140 one could make the argument, but he's not a "small" Welter today.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        There comes a point when you have to know your limitations and going beyond them provides diminishing returns~

I would also say Floyd is at the end of his rope at 147, he may be able to pick his spots higher (which is what he has done) but he isn't the same fighter. I would say Floyd is in a much more precarious position given his age and inactivity, so a lot more guys than you think are serious threats to him.

There will always be some new challenge out there though as boxing is very fluid~
        Point well taken.

Fortunately, we had p4p fighters who may not have made it to be the face of boxing/cash cow, but knew no limitations when it came to their legacies.

Next time i debate with a delusional floydiot, (not you, much respect), i will point them to this post.

Comment

Floyd is a big featherweight and a small light-heavyweight.

Comment

Floyd Sr. told Fighthype.com “You know Floyd can still fight at 140 if he wanted to. He would be untouchable there.” ~ Oct 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
              He is a small welter, that I will admit. But if he doesn't want to fight the likes of Canelo or Trout or even Martinez then he shouldn't campaign at Junior Middle. Pretty simple.
              But it would be ok if he demanded a CW that drained them right ?

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                He's a normal sized Welter now. When he came up from 140 one could make the argument, but he's not a "small" Welter today.
                His ring weights say different the weigh-in weights are very deceiving , its always been LWs come in around 147 , JWWs come in around 150-154 , WWs around 160 , JMW around 165-170 , MWs around 175 .

Floyd is also not tall , many big WW are 6ft or more , and Floyd came from 130 , most big WWs start at 135-140 , Floyd is definitely on the smaller end of WW .

Comment

People keep saying in this thread that floyd should fight bigger fighters, but he HAS been doing that his entire career. He HAS been doing that in all of his recent fights. Out of his last 10 fights the only guy he outweighed was JMM. I am almost certain even hatton weighed more than him on fight night. Judah did (the weigh ins were done on that one).

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                    Hes not a normal sized welter. He was 151 vs Ortiz's 164 and Ortiz only recently moved to welter. He doesnt LOOK small but weight wize he is. 151 by todays standers IS a small welter. Freakin broner weighed 150 his last fight for lightweight.

Comment

hes about average id say, but he has a really long reach so that always helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X