No announcement yet.

Tyron Woodley rolls over Darren Till, retains title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Lotsa clowns in MMA media then according to you.

Actually thats probably about right, but its not cuz they picked Till.
    I was only teasing, I've just never been able to give Darren a chance plus I still don't rate him that highly and think his comments about becoming one of the best MMA fighters ever are ridiculous ... he wants to be a Conor McGregor type so bad but his grappling isn't even as good as McGregors, and at welterweight you need grappling or some godly takedown defence.

I'm a big Platinum Mike Perry fan too so I dislike Till by default

Comment

Lotsa clowns in MMA media then according to you.

Actually thats probably about right, but its not cuz they picked Till.
      I'm terrible at picks but I couldn't see how Till had any chance outside of a KO against the champ, and my mind wasn't changed after seeing him "outpoint" Wonderboy in his last fight either.

Comment

Wonderboy is a counterstriker. His fights are almost always boring until that moment when its over cuz of some crazy KO. His a weird matchup for a lot of guys. His fights with T-Wood were boring as f#ck TIL something happened & those few moments were exciting as sh^t. Thats standard Wonderboy sh^t.
        What you say is very true. Also, I'm certain that if Till had to have made weight that the fight would have gone down quite differently. And I must say that I can't blame Thompson for not wanting to take unnecessary damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn1 View Post
          I'm a big Platinum Mike Perry fan too so I dislike Till by default
          As a Michigan guy orginally I dig Perry by default cuz he gots Michigan roots, but yea he's a fun as f#ck fighter & I feel like he's gonna f#ck up Cowboy Cerrone's day when they fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Vae Victis View Post
            What you say is very true. Also, I'm certain that if Till had to have made weight that the fight would have gone down quite differently. And I must say that I can't blame Thompson for not wanting to take unnecessary damage.
            The weight stuff with Till is a problem for sure.

I think the only reason he got the T-Wood title shot after that bad fight + missing weight in half of his last 4 fights (iirc) is cuz I don't believe Dana likes T-Wood as the UFC champ AND he thought Till was gonna beat him. Cuz any UFC fan has seen guys get passed over for title shots off of that sorta performance or better despite getting the W.

But yea Till needs to move up in weight. I think he'll win a UFC belt sooner or later (assuming this L don't Ngannou him cuz I said that about Ngannou a couple yrs back & now I'm not so sure of that cuz he got shook by that Stipe L), but he's probably risking his life & damaging his body trying to do it at 170.

Comment

Yes, Dana does not care for Woodley. And fighting welterweight is a risk that Till should no longer take. If Till hasn't suffered any psychological damage (from this fight), I agree he should have a good run at 185 with title hopes not being unrealistic. One more thing on the weight cutting: Since 1965 I've been aware of the effects of an extreme weight cut. I saw first hand what could happen to amateur wrestlers (here I mean diminished performance) when they'd cut a bit too much ("Well, if I'm great at 165, then I'll cut to 154 and win state!"). The examples were clear enough that I've never forgotten what took place.

Comment

90 KILOS,” TILL SAID. “ABOUT 200 POUNDS.

he's a big un'

Comment

One more thing on the weight cutting: Since 1965 I've been aware of the effects of an extreme weight cut. I saw first hand what could happen to amateur wrestlers (here I mean diminished performance) when they'd cut a bit too much ("Well, if I'm great at 165, then I'll cut to 154 and win state!"). The examples were clear enough that I've never forgotten what took place.
                  Yea not surprised. Got any specific examples worth sharing?

I'm a proponent of fighting at your walking around weight & I believe with some of the things we have access to now thats an attainable goal (I believe HS/College Wrestling is doing many of these things now). I think one should be given a "healthy weight range" to fight at upon being given a license to fight by a commission. And if you are below or above that you can't fight. If you gain weight naturally as you age/mature or are a top fighter you can move up, but 99% of guys would be forced to fight in one weight range their whole career. I also think there should be a body fat % that should ban you from competing til you are below it cuz some of these belly's in boxing are f#cking insane. HW obviously has the most problems with beer belly fighters & I don't think those out of shape "athletes" should be sanctioned to fight at all.

/rant could go on for days about this sh^t lol

Comment

Yea not surprised. Got any specific examples worth sharing?

I'm a proponent of fighting at your walking around weight & I believe with some of the things we have access to now thats an attainable goal (I believe HS/College Wrestling is doing many of these things now). I think one should be given a "healthy weight range" to fight at upon being given a license to fight by a commission. And if you are below or above that you can't fight. If you gain weight naturally as you age/mature or are a top fighter you can move up, but 99% of guys would be forced to fight in one weight range their whole career. I also think there should be a body fat % that should ban you from competing til you are below it cuz some of these belly's in boxing are f#cking insane. HW obviously has the most problems with beer belly fighters & I don't think those out of shape "athletes" should be sanctioned to fight at all.

/rant could go on for days about this sh^t lol
                    Examples are all pretty much the same: An experienced successful wrestler at a higher weight cutting to a lower weight (in the belief that he'd only lose weight and nothing else), and then his being eliminated at district or regional or sectional, or perhaps reaching state but losing early and not coming close to finals or winning state despite being ranked highly the entire season. Usually the losing performance was something like this: not only was said wrestler slower, weaker, less stamina, and less alert, but in the extreme case, said wrestler could almost not function as a wrestler as if his reflexes were in slow motion, or he was unable to perceive that he was in a wrestling match, or could not see and reacted as if temporarily paralyzed, or had had no previous experience in folk style wrestling, or had insufficient strength to free any part of himself from his opponents grip, and maybe even getting injured because of his lack of fitness to be a competitive wrestler. And I saw the same thing on the collegiate level as well. And one last thing: Years later every now and then I'd run into former wrestlers who looked as if their bodies had never recovered from the extreme weight cutting and looking as if they were on the North Korean corn gruel diet all their formative years.

Comment

And one last thing: Years later every now and then I'd run into former wrestlers who looked as if their bodies had never recovered from the extreme weight cutting and looking as if they were on the North Korean corn gruel diet all their formative years.
                      Yea I've seen this first hand. I lived in a city coming up that had a strong wrestling background at the elementary, jr hs & hs level. There a bunch of ~5ft6 men in that city that were weight cutting in their pre-puberty & puberty years. I don't think those cats realized that likely stunted their growth & perhaps did other less obvious things to their bodies.

Comment

Working...
                      X