No announcement yet.

Protein shakes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein shakes?

When drinking protein shakes, do you drink it before a work out and after? or just before the work out? and are you suppose to finish the whole cup before starting your work out? or can you drink as you work out?

I think you are meant to have them after

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      I think you are meant to have them after
      that's strange, i always thought you drink it before a work out so you can have extra energy? I also hear your suppose to drink it after a work out to build muscles? can someone please confirm this? I bought some protein shakes but it doesnt say anything on how to take it.

Comment

Drink them before or after...it is just a protein supplement and is meant to ensure you ingest enough protien a day

Comment

My understanding is:

Carbs couple hours before workout
          Or fruit half an hour before

Protein shake for recovery after workout
          And some food after workout

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
            My understanding is:

Carbs couple hours before workout
            Or fruit half an hour before

Protein shake for recovery after workout
            And some food after workout
            This is pretty much it. I wouldn't take it right before a workout since it would hinder your workout with all that blood going to your stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              Drink them before or after...it is just a protein supplement and is meant to ensure you ingest enough protien a day
              This

Meal timing is BS. Hit your protein macros for your day and you're good doesn't matter when you get them.

Comment

Is a pre-workout (the mega caffeine stuff) good for boxing training or just for the gym/lifting weights?

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
                  Is a pre-workout (the mega caffeine stuff) good for boxing training or just for the gym/lifting weights?
                  Caffeine is beneficial for boxing. It doesn't matter what the source is whether it's pills or coffee. I use coffee since it's more cost effective and tastes good.
                  Here's a link to a collection of it's effects and the scientific studies behind them.

http://examine.com/supplements/Caffeine/

I'll also add that creatine is very beneficial as well for exercise performance. If you're competing you want to stop using it a week or so before the fight since it causes water retention though.
                  Last edited by HedonisticFrog; 08-23-2014, 11:13 AM. Reason: info on creatine

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                    Caffeine is beneficial for boxing. It doesn't matter what the source is whether it's pills or coffee. I use coffee since it's more cost effective and tastes good.
                    Here's a link to a collection of it's effects and the scientific studies behind them.

http://examine.com/supplements/Caffeine/

I'll also add that creatine is very beneficial as well for exercise performance. If you're competing you want to stop using it a week or so before the fight since it causes water retention though.
                    I've heard that pure caffeine in pill form is more effective than Coffee... can't remember where I read it.

Caffeine reduces delayed onset muscle soreness, ratings of perceived exertion, improves focus etc..

It's a good PED.

Comment

Working...
                    X