Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the purpose of weight classes when fighters rehydrate to a higher weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
    Chavez-whitaker , dlh-hopkins, srl-lalonde to name just a few.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    Last edited by GoldSugar; 12-27-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

They should go to same day weigh ins that would cut all the BS out. It would expose a lot of fighters if they would have to fight guys their own size.

Comment

I don't support fight night weigh ins because the fighters will be more concerned about making weight than focusing on the fight.

it's fine how it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by BTTAG145 View Post
          They should go to same day weigh ins that would cut all the BS out. It would expose a lot of fighters if they would have to fight guys their own size.
          I believe the reason they don't is because it's potentially dangerous in that a fighter could be starving to make limit, not a good day to send him into the ring.

Comment

The fighters that cut large amounts of weight push it to the limit and it's a fine line between gaining an advantage and the complete opposite. Most of these fighters find this out the hard way before moving up to a division they should have been at in the first place.

Comment

Its one of the massive fundamental flaws with boxing, imo.

Some fighters are outweighed by 10-15 pounds, even in the WW and JWW division. That's over a division apart. Makes no sense.

Comment

they should remove alot of weight classes then. there's jus too many of them like the the jr. and super weight classes should jus be one.

Comment

Apparently amateurs can have same day weigh-ins and not die yet Pros cant

Its all BS

Comment

amateurs and pros are totally different though, especially the stars in the pros. Kinda hard to be constantly in training like the young AMs are when they have all the touring and media relations BS in the pro ranks

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post
                      Catchweights are not irrelevant. Name me the big name title fights that had a lgitimate catchweight fight attached to it.
                      It was very common up to th 1920's I beiieve. Champions used to make their own weight limits before WW1. And, as an example of negro inequality, there was one fight for sure that I've read about several times where Joe Gans who was the CHAMPION, had to weigh in at ringside, just before the fight, fully dressed, at 133 lbs. It may have been one of his fights with Battling Nelson. A year or two later, Gans Gans died of TB weighing a little over 80 lbs..

Comment

Working...
                      X