Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia,

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd as a cod, that's Murry. I really hope that story is just a contemporary legend, LOL.

A few more pieces, my own uploads.

First, Dennis performing the unreleased 'I've Got A Friend' live with the Beach Boys in Munich in May of '72. I had two sources for this performance, one being noisier than the other, while the better source didn't have Mike's respectful introduction; so I made an edit of the two (you can hear it at around 00:18, after which it's smooth sailing). The quality of either tape wasn't great, but the beauty of the song radiates from the hiss.

"Now we're going to turn it over to Dennis, who's going to sing a song for you that hasn't been recorded yet, but it's really one of my favorite songs that I've ever heard..."

A studio backing track was recorded for this tune, IIRC, but not vocal laid down.

Comment

Here's a little compilation of pieces recorded by Dennis and Daryl Dragon, with engineer Stephen Desper, in the quadrophonic sound which was cutting-edge for 1971.

First is a piano piece in which you can hear the origins of 'River Song'. Then an intricate organ piece. Then follows a stunning chorale commonly referred to as 'All Of My Love', but which Desper has since stated was the 'Intro' to a larger suite named 'Ecology'. After that, the piece known as 'Follow Me To The Sea', which fully lives up to the promise of its enchanting title, heard here first stripped down to just its percussion track, then in its full glory.

All of this material was apparently laid down during sessions for Dennis' first shot at a solo album (working titles of 'Poops' and 'Hubba Hubba'), which, presumably, was finally buried in '72 when he gave away two of its finest jewels to the Beach Boys for 'Carl And The Passions'.

My reason for sequencing them in this order is explained by the next vid.

Comment

Desper, with permission from Dennis, pressed a bunch of the Dennis/Daryl recordings onto an acetate for the purposes of demonstrating the capabilities of quad-sound in a seminar he was giving to audio engineers.

The tape of Desper playing the music to the assembly, with an introduction for each piece, is here, excerpted from that seminar.

Comment

Stephen Desper, speaking in the early 2000's,

Originally posted by Stephen Desper
          All of those recordings are my property and I have the April 1971, 30 ips, 1/2 inch 4 track masters in my collection. Back then, I was asked by the Audio Engineering Society (AES) to give a paper and presentation to the Hollywood section on Quadraphonic recording technique for my fellow engineers. I asked Dennis Wilson and Daryl Dragon to help me in the production of the sound portion of the demo. I recorded Dennis and Daryl playing a piano duet, miked four different ways. I recorded Dennis doing a drum solo. It was than that I recorded 'Barbara' and mixed it to two different formats in Quad.
          In the talk I demonstrated eight different miking techniques and recording styles and various echo chamber imaging techniques using Barbara. In one segment, Dennis overdubbed his voice more than 350 times to make the sound of a large choir ("Steve, the big speakers are on." -- refers to the studio speakers used by Brian to hear the mixes in mono and for playbacks in the studio.)
          The AES talk lasted about forty minutes and was well accepted. Although the Beach Boys, under my direction, never recorded using the Quadraphonic discipline but rather a Surround discipline, the AES figured it would ask me to present the ideas since I was one of a few engineers exploring these new multi-channel techniques of production back in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by UmarImranKhalil View Post
            Odd as a cod, that's Murry. I really hope that story is just a contemporary legend, LOL.

A few more pieces, my own uploads.

First, Dennis performing the unreleased 'I've Got A Friend' live with the Beach Boys in Munich in May of '72. I had two sources for this performance, one being noisier than the other, while the better source didn't have Mike's respectful introduction; so I made an edit of the two (you can hear it at around 00:18, after which it's smooth sailing). The quality of either tape wasn't great, but the beauty of the song radiates from the hiss.

"Now we're going to turn it over to Dennis, who's going to sing a song for you that hasn't been recorded yet, but it's really one of my favorite songs that I've ever heard..."

A studio backing track was recorded for this tune, IIRC, but not vocal laid down.
            Enchanting song, just so powerful, man. Do you happen to know who's playing piano and drums? I hope this one is included in the motherlode.

So, you mean to tell me that a studio version was never recorded?

Here's a little compilation of pieces recorded by Dennis and Daryl Dragon, with engineer Stephen Desper, in the quadrophonic sound which was cutting-edge for 1971.

First is a piano piece in which you can hear the origins of 'River Song'. Then an intricate organ piece. Then follows a stunning chorale commonly referred to as 'All Of My Love', but which Desper has since stated was the 'Intro' to a larger suite named 'Ecology'. After that, the piece known as 'Follow Me To The Sea', which fully lives up to the promise of its enchanting title, heard here first stripped down to just its percussion track, then in its full glory.

All of this material was apparently laid down during sessions for Dennis' first shot at a solo album (working titles of 'Poops' and 'Hubba Hubba'), which, presumably, was finally buried in '72 when he gave away two of its finest jewels to the Beach Boys for 'Carl And The Passions'.

My reason for sequencing them in this order is explained by the next vid.
            Stephen Desper, speaking in the early 2000's,

Interesting info, mate. I'm interested to know how big your collection of Dennis recordings is - I'd love to hear more brilliant songs he penned like I've Got A Friend.

Re; I almost threw-up when I read what Hite Morgan told Murry after he sold the songs he owned the rights for, to Capitol.

"Lot of Luck To You", LOL, what the hell?

Jardine and Love did backing vocals for Morgan's son Bruce, on songs released by Kenny And the Kadets - you ever heard those?
            Last edited by PEBBLES!; 03-14-2011, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beach Boy View Post
              Enchanting song, just so powerful, man. Do you happen to know who's playing piano and drums? I hope this one is included in the motherlode.

So, you mean to tell me that a studio version was never recorded?
              Yeah, man; the live performances are all we have to know what the actual song sounds like, the melody, the words. If Dennis had never unveiled it at those few shows, all we'd have is a backing track and the recollections of his peers to go by.
              After hearing that performance, because I found the song so moving, it was a burn to me when I learned that no studio version existed. I was used to the idea of there being lots of stuff I couldn't hear, but just the knowledge that 'I've Got A Friend' was never committed to tape, that there wasn't a studio version tucked safely away for future generations, that really saddened me.
              It's one of my favorite songs Dennis wrote, I love the 2 different sections, that first part so plaintive, filled with empathy, the second like a sweet breeze, relieving, balmy; Denny sometimes did this thing, he'd make lyrical feels, assemblies of words that were indistinct in terms of communicating emotion, but that became incredibly, profoundly expressive when set to his chord changes and melodic touch -- "When I walk, I feel the wind upon my face/Hello, hello, my friend". Of course, he could be more explicit, too.

That's likely Dennis behind the piano. Daryl was on that tour, that'll be him playing the accompanying synth lines.
              This is me guessing, going by what I know of his playing, but I think the drums are Daryl's brother, Dennis Dragon -- the only other guy it could be is Ricky Fataar, but my understanding of their styles and the fact it's a Dennis song (the Dragons were his chief collaborators at the time) make me think not. I'm not a drummer, though, so I wouldn't venture my opinion in authority; listen to stuff like 'Slip On Through', 'This Whole World' and 'Got To Know The Woman' (Dennis Dragon is the drummer on those) and then to something like 'Here She Comes' (that's Fataar drumming) and let me know what you think.

Interesting info, mate. I'm interested to know how big your collection of Dennis recordings is - I'd love to hear more brilliant songs he penned like I've Got A Friend.
              Aside from everything that's been officially released.

Re. unreleased material, let me think;

A large chunk of the 'Bamboo' stuff was booted long before it came out on the POB reissue a few years ago, I had that material a long while back.
              The 'Quad' pieces above have been kicking around the black-market for almost as long.
              More and more unreleased songs of Dennis' that were cut for the boys have surfaced down the years ('Carry Me Home', 'It's A New Day', etc.).
              'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again' was a song Dennis wanted to close the 'Surf's Up' album, but that idea was vetoed by Carl. I know the song's melody (pretty epic), because a Beach Boy archivist is known to perform it at conventions, but I haven't actually heard the Beach Boys recording. Although, I dropped out of the hardcore collectors loop a number of years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me if the song has circulated by now -- it was supposed to come out on a 'Surf's Up' DVD-A reissue years ago, but the project was shelved (welcome to Beach Boy world).

There are lots of titles logged and tape-boxes that have been catalogued with contents that still haven't been released officially or to the black-market. Little pieces turn up on the internet from time to time; I remember when the second section of 'Love Remember Me' started circulating online (under the title "my love's coming down"), a real nice WOAH moment.

But the Dennis and Daryl recordings ('Poops') are really the 'grail' of unreleased Dennis stuff; a lot of what exists in the vaults is probably far from completion, but still very deserving of being unearthed, I'm sure. 'Barbara' (released on 'Endless Harmony') is from that batch, appearing without the orchestration Dennis had planned, but still very powerful.
              I'm sure I would have heard something from somewhere if more of the Dennis and Daryl recordings had surfaced. Something like that would have a way of getting back to me.

I'll have uploaded pretty much everything I have in the way of unreleased Beach Boy material by the time I'm done. Even the awful stuff (which is usually good for jokes, ).

Re; I almost threw-up when I read what Hite Morgan told Murry after he sold the songs he owned the rights for, to Capitol.

"Lot of Luck To You", LOL, what the hell?

Jardine and Love did backing vocals for Morgan's son Bruce, on songs released by Kenny And the Kadets - you ever heard those?
              The wranglings over the Morgan stuff carried on for decades,

Yeah, Brian sings lead on those Kenny & The Cadets sides, too -- they turn up in a few places in this big directory I'm piecing together slowly. That's veryyyyy close to ready, BTW, just a few live sets to up and it's all good to go. Expecting it to be done by Wednesday in your zone.

Comment

Although, I'm sparing you some stuff.

Like 'Country Love'; no way I'm putting you through that.

'Battle Hymn Of The Republic',

Comment

This is me guessing, going by what I know of his playing, but I think the drums are Daryl's brother, Dennis Dragon -- the only other guy it could be is Ricky Fataar, but my understanding of their styles and the fact it's a Dennis song (the Dragons were his chief collaborators at the time) make me think not. I'm not a drummer, though, so I wouldn't venture my opinion in authority; listen to stuff like 'Slip On Through', 'This Whole World' and 'Got To Know The Woman' (Dennis Dragon is the drummer on those) and then to something like 'Here She Comes' (that's Fataar drumming) and let me know what you think.
                  Judging by studio versions of those songs, I'd hazard a guess that it is indeed Dennis Dragon on drums, but I'd probably need to compare live versions of Fataar and Dragon playing to make a more pronounced judgement.

I've Got A Friend has struck me like a hurricane, man, such a graceful and captivating song, I've heard it at-least a dozen times already. I'm trying to decipher the lyrics to the song, but the second part comes to me in bits & pieces - I wonder what you can hear from it? This is what I've managed, I'm sure you know these lyrics though, so correct me if I heard falsely.

I’ve Got A Friend
                  By Dennis Wilson

Sometimes I feel I’m all alone,
                  But I’m not alone,
                  Hmmmmm...........,
                  I’ve got a friend.

Sometimes, I wonder what it’s all about,
                  When you call my phone,
                  Hmmmmmmm.......,
                  I’ve got a friend.

My Friend,
                  My Friend,
                  My Friend,
                  My Friend.

Sometimes I’m lost you can find my way,
                  When you couldn’t say,
                  Hmmmmmm....,
                  ?????????

When I walk,
                  I feel the wind upon my face,
                  Hello, hello, my friend.

My Friend,
                  My Friend,
                  My Friend,
                  My Friend.

I'm half-way through Heroes & Villains, reading it has taken longer than I anticipated, as I've been held up by assignments. This excerpt from pgs. 78-79 had me in fits;

"On my fifteenth birthday we played an amusement park in West Virginia". David Marks said. "A multimillionaire owned the park. He was a fun-loving guy who wore khakis and drove a jeep. After we played the show, he took us in his yacht club, which was a converted underground speakeasy. He got me some scotch and took me upstairs with some twenty-one-year-old whore that was sitting on the chair. I remember washing my **** off in a pan with soap and water - I don't know why - and she said, 'Don't come in the pan, now.' "

Tony Asher got a raw-deal from Brian & Murry, 1/4 per cent earned, when he practically wrote the entire lyrics to Pet Sounds.

Have you sent anything by The Honeys to me, I think you might have but it's not in the folder I keep your uploads in, maybe I'm getting confused with The Honeys songs included in The Unsurpassed Masters Volumes. I ask cause I just read about the Rovell family connection to the Wilsons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUczJ5_Cqgc

^^^^ That's my first time hearing that - brilliant song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoe8_-e33lg

^^^This piece here just screams Phil Spector & The Ronettes.

Comment

Yeah, there's some Honeys tracking session material in the 'Miscellaneous' USM volumes.

I never sent you any previously (maybe posted a couple tunes in "...Currently Listening..."?), but all The Honeys/American Spring you need is already uploaded in lossless and waiting to go tonight, man.

Brian was definitely indulging his Spec fascination in an overt way on a side like 'The One you Can't Have', agreed. Great song.

'Sweet Mountain' is the one that knocks me out from the Spring album.

Same story here -- I couldn't get 'I've Got A Friend' out of my head, couldn't stop listening to it and at the same time trying to figure out what exactly about it was so beguiling. Digging it up these last couple days, I'm still trying to understand what it is.

I hear some lines like, "Sometimes you've given all you (unsure)..." and "...lost and can't find a way/when you come and say...", but, your interpretation is as good as mine. I never thought heard it as "...call my phone..." on that one line, but, now you say it, I think that's it. I'll have a concerted shot at trying to figure it out this evening.

That Marks testimony is gross and hilarious,

The one story about poor Carl losing his V to a wanton, too.

Comment

Yeah, during one of their earlier tours, in that respect I'll have to side with Murry and his morally strict code of behavior he attempted to enforce on the Boys.

Reading some of this information is really fascinating, and you can spot subtle concatenations between the prominent artists of the time - the part where Marilyn claims Loren Schwartz recommended Brian various types of literature from Hermann Hesse to Antoine de Saint-Exupery and Khalil Gibran's poetry (that line in Lennon's Julia).

Brian is totally whacked out, though, emotionally weak. Asher claimed he was the most "irresponsible" person he'd ever met. Reading some of this stuff, you wonder how a mental midget who suffered from a severe case of an inferiority complex could have written so many great songs during the 60's.

Comment

Working...
                      X