No announcement yet.

Buster Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buster Douglas

Do you think with hard work, focus, & dedication he had the potential to be a HW ATG?

Definitely could have been a near-great, the Douglas of the Tyson night would give all ATG a tough fight. I don't think he quite had it takes to make it to ATG status, he beat Tyson because Tyson couldn't deal with someone beating him, any other Champion would have pulled through.

Comment

Physically and technically he certainly had everything necessary to become an ATG. His jab, combinations, power and movement were all top drawer.

His problems stemmed from lack of desire, motivation, heart and conditioning issues.

Comment

yes Douglas had the potential alright to be a great, i have around 12 fights of Douglas and it is plain to see that he had all the assets needed, Skill, speed, power, size, endurence, mobility to be a superstar of the sport yet he desperately lacked motivation. His fights against McCall, Berbick, Ferguson, Tyson, Williams & Page are Douglas at his best and prove that the Tyson fight he was not a one-hit wonder.. against McCall he kept "The Atomic-Bull" at bay with his incredible jab and right-uppercut with McCall being in incredible physical shape yet no match for "Big Bus".. it was clear to see from that fight that if he turned up fit and motivated then no fighter in the world could beat him, yet in 2 out of the 3 biggest fights of his career he let himself and everyone else down by turning up unfit & unmotivated and folding tamely.

Comment

Douglas at his best was a better version of Riddick Bowe.

His resume isn't as bad as everybody says. He was a pretty solid fighter, and that was despite coming into the ring looking a little like a slob for most fights.

Comment

Even Tyson when he was interviewed on Larry King admitted that the main problem for him was just that Buster Douglas was very good on that night. So yes I think he had the potential physically and had some of the mental ingredients also except maybe work ethic.

I had an older friend that really wished he had of put money on the Tyson fight. He had watched quite a few Douglas fights and new he was much better then the odds for the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              Even Tyson when he was interviewed on Larry King admitted that the main problem for him was just that Buster Douglas was very good on that night. So yes I think he had the potential physically and had some of the mental ingredients also except maybe work ethic.

I had an older friend that really wished he had of put money on the Tyson fight. He had watched quite a few Douglas fights and new he was much better then the odds for the fight.
              Oliver McCall after losing to Douglas was in camp as a sparring partner for Mike Tyson and warned Tyson just how good Douglas was but Tyson laughed it off saying he would have no trouble KOing Douglas and never took McCall's advice seriously yet paid the penelty for it in the worst possible way....i agree with Carlos in that Douglas was like a better version of a prime Riddick Bowe

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Oliver McCall after losing to Douglas was in camp as a sparring partner for Mike Tyson and warned Tyson just how good Douglas was but Tyson laughed it off saying he would have no trouble KOing Douglas and never took McCall's advice seriously yet paid the penelty for it in the worst possible way....i agree with Carlos in that Douglas was like a better version of a prime Riddick Bowe
                I have only ever seen Douglas fight Tyson seen the fight 4 or 5 times. I agree he seemed more athletic then Bowe and better on his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                  I have only ever seen Douglas fight Tyson seen the fight 4 or 5 times. I agree he seemed more athletic then Bowe and better on his feet.
                  He was a bit faster with his hands also...

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    He was a bit faster with his hands also...
                    Strange how maybe three of the more talented heavyweights the last 30 years were only at their best for a short time. Tyson had a longer prime then Bowe and Douglas.

Comment

Working...
                    X