Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[The Wild Card Shakedown] alex ariza vs freddie roach is heading to trial...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [The Wild Card Shakedown] alex ariza vs freddie roach is heading to trial...

Alex Ariza vs Freddie Roach Heading to Trial; Current and Past Fighters From Wild Card May Have to Testify

Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach and world-class Stength & Conditioning coach Alex Ariza will once again come to blows, but this time, in a court room. After months of failed settlement discussions, Ariza's defamation lawsuit against Roach will now be heading to trial. We're told that, for whatever reason, both Roach and Manny Pacquiao failed to appear at multiple deposition attempts, leaving no other option but to move forward with a jury trial.

In a video interview conducted back in January of 2014, Freddie Roach claimed that during the years that Alex Ariza worked with Manny Pacquiao, he allegedly supplied him with "mystery drinks" that may have contained performance enhancing drugs. "One of the reasons why he doesn't work for me anymore is because I think he's a little shady, you know. He used to give Manny a drink every day before we worked out and I asked him, 'What's in that drink,' and he would never tell me. And I said, 'I need to know what's in that drink because, you know, you're giving it to my fighter and if something goes wrong, I'm gonna get the blame.' In my opinion, he's a little shady, so he's with that camp now and it doesn't surprise me that happened," Roach stated in the video. Immediately after Roach's comments were made public, Ariza quickly denied the allegations and filed the defamation lawsuit.

It's unclear as to why Roach would make accusations that seemingly put his own fighter, as well as himself, under the microscope during the height of their Hall of Fame careers. Nevertheless, he indeed made the explosive allegations, which now also call into the question the work that Ariza did with several other fighters at Wild Card Gym during that 2008 to 2013 timeframe. In those five years, the team of Roach and Ariza seemed like an unbeatable dynamic duo, racking up win after win with high-profile names such as Pacquiao, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., and Amir Khan. Since their split, however, the success rate of Roach's fighters has declined, which begs the question, is there some truth to Freddie Roach's allegations?

Keep in mind this isn't the first time that Roach made allegations that he turned a blind eye to one of his fighters that he suspected was using performance-enhancing drugs. "I won't say I didn't know," Roach freely admitted back in March of 2010 when he discussed James Toney testing positive for steroids five years prior. In that same interview, Roach also insinuated that he knew another one of his fighters used steroids. "I think I had one other fighter on steroids also, Justin Fortune. I know he'd been there before," Roach added. Although that second claim went unsubstantiated thanks to a defamation lawsuit filed by Fortune, it should be noted that in a sworn statement, Roach said Fortune admitted to him that he did indeed use performance-enhancing drugs.

As previously stated, both Roach and Pacquiao failed to appear at depositions to tell their side of the story, which seems especially odd for Pacquiao considering that the allegations from his own trainer suggest that he may have indeed been taking banned substances. Assuming he would have denied any knowledge of these "mystery drinks", his deposition would have probably given Ariza more proof that Roach's allegations are false, making it easier to reach a settlement. The 8-division former world champion will now likely have to appear as one of several witnesses during the trial. In fact, we're told that there will be testimony from a number of current and past fighters from Wild Card Gym that very well could reveal some very interesting information.

link to story - http://www.fighthype.com/news/article22819.html

links are also uncludedd in the text above with underlined portions

Comment

Comment

here is the video in question btw where freddie admits ariza used to give pac suspicious drinks possible laced with peds

Comment

From what I read Ariza will be wasting his time and money in court and will end up having to pay for Roach's legal expenses...I don't see what he has to gain in this.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            From what I read Ariza will be wasting his time and money in court and will end up having to pay for Roach's legal expenses...I don't see what he has to gain in this.
            how so???

roach had the opportunity to further explain what he meant but offered no intentions of doing so...

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
              how so???

roach had the opportunity to further explain what he meant but offered no intentions of doing so...
              Because you can's sue someone for questioning something and having suspicions if you don't tell them what is in the drinks. So what he worries it might be illegal substance....he has the right to be cautious...that's his job to question what Manny is drinking. No crime in that. And he was clear in what he said..he said he was suspicious it was PED's.

Comment

Because you can's sue someone for questioning something and having suspicions if you don't tell them what is in the drinks. So what he worries it might be illegal substance....he has the right to be cautious...that's his job to question what Manny is drinking. No crime in that. And he was clear in what he said..he said he was suspicious it was PED's.
                I think you are right here.

Roach didn't really make a direct accusation, more of a shrug of the shoulders type 'could have been anything' statement.

Hopefully Ariza will go broke if this goes to court... guy is a parasite.

Comment

hmm interesting point,but im sure ariza and his lawyers would note the same thing if that were true right??so why are they advising him to go on with the lawsuit??

this raises some eyebrowns

Comment

They're trying to get Roach to remain quiet about it. I give credit to Freddie for admitting his suspicions. Sad thing is that Cotto's been cheated by the boxing world. First Margarito, then Pacquiao, and then Mayweather (who is now also suspected) all fought almost right after the other.

Comment

Working...
                    X