Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem with mankind is

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the most important things that I have learned is to have a sense of perspective about problems. The reason that the English phrase is "a sense of perspective" is that things which are not visible directly to the eye can present the same sort of illusions to the "mind's eye" that physical objects can to the real eye.

An example may clarify what I have to say. Suppose that one late evening when the full moon is visible, as it sometimes is, you go outside and hold a quarter at arms length; comparing it in apparent size to the moon. You will notice that the quarter appears to be larger than the moon. Of course this is an optical illusion caused by the difference in perspective of the two objects. Were the quarter to be placed in the same perspective as the moon it would shrink to virtual invisibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
      I think one of the things that I have picked up in my life, was from a basketball coach, as corny as it sounds.

It's quote from John Wooden, a Fat Yank coach that won many titles for UCLA.

"Be quick. But don't hurry."

I think that it is a maturity thing. Or I'm just getting old in the tooth. But it rings true.

I don't have much time left on this earth. (No-Apocalypse, black cloud stuff.)

But what time I do have, make it count for something. Help the next people in line not make the same mistakes I made.

"If I knew then what I know now."

It took me a long time, but I think I finally got it what it means to be decent man, and person in general.
      Decent men don't duck my wall posts.

Recreant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
        I think one of the things that I have picked up in my life, was from a basketball coach, as corny as it sounds.

It's quote from John Wooden, a Fat Yank coach that won many titles for UCLA.

"Be quick. But don't hurry."

I think that it is a maturity thing. Or I'm just getting old in the tooth. But it rings true.

I don't have much time left on this earth. (No-Apocalypse, black cloud stuff.)

But what time I do have, make it count for something. Help the next people in line not make the same mistakes I made.

"If I knew then what I know now."

It took me a long time, but I think I finally got it what it means to be decent man, and person in general.
        I opened the thread to read what it's all about so I read Larry's then scan down and read this beautiful post of yours pea and I almost cried. God bless you my man.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
          We think we know every damn thing and we don't.We think we have the answer for everything when we clearly don't..we are searching for other worlds and dont even understand the world we live in,we think animals are mindless and inferior and insects have no purpose..we think all people are the same when they clearly are not this world is beyond our understanding and everyone nd everything is not created equally.I the more technology we get the more we lose contact with this planet..we need equipment to tell us a storm is coming animals and insects just know
          Kinda like how you think you know what the problem with mankind is????

Comment

Mankind has many problems but none of them having anything to do with us admiring the beauty of nature. If you want to talk about losing our sense of 'being human', then I agree. Modern technology has taken over from humans and in the future will do most of the jobs we still do now.

One ability we'll never lose, which is the quint-essential human trait and that's our ability to make 'sense' of music, artwork etc. There may be no purpose to our life, we just exist because the conditions were right but yet we look at large mounds of rock with a layer of frozen water on top and we feel something.

The ability to listen to music and feel something off it is amazing and I wonder where this came from. We didn't evolve to love and appreciate something, is it a by-product of our supreme intelligence?

Comment

I think the problem with mankind is that a lot of people don't think they know everything, but are called heathens for trying to learn what we don't know.

Comment

Working...
              X