Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't GGG throw more body punches vs Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't GGG throw more body punches vs Canelo?

Been wondering this & seeing a lot of people wondering this & noticing it too.

GGG landed 8 body shots all night according to the stats.

Why didn't GGG throw more body shots at Canelo when Canelo was showing so much quality defense + elusiveness with his head? That seemed like a move that would have done nice damage when Canelo went to the ropes & laid on them teasing GGG with bringing it.

I don't get it at all. Curious at what some of the more strategic boxing minds think of why that was lacking.

I think it was the danger of getting countered. Also, Canelo wasn't giving him a lot of body shot opportunities (I remember noticing this). Golovkin was guarding pretty well, even in the later rounds when Canelo was dropping his hands. Some people want to say "if he only threw more body shots", but I think he knew what he was doing.

Comment

Same. That one of his number 1 moves. I don't understand

Comment

Straight responsible headshots are the best shot to avoid being countered. And maybe the thinking was that Canelo was so big he wasn't going to get too hurt going to the body. It's not like you need to throw body shots to make Canelo gas out, he does that anyway.

Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I think it was the danger of getting countered. Also, Canelo wasn't giving him a lot of body shot opportunities (I remember noticing this). Golovkin was guarding pretty well, even in the later rounds when Canelo was dropping his hands. Some people want to say "if he only threw more body shots", but I think he knew what he was doing.
          Isn't GGG getting countered anytime he's throwing doe?

With Canelo's stamina issues early body work seemed a key to winning the fight to me & I expected much more of it then I saw. I think most expected that before the fight too so the expectation was foresight not hindsight being 20/20 THAT much in that regard.

Fair play if Canelo didn't present as many opportunities with that. I didn't pick up on that if thats the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Deletrious View Post
            Straight responsible headshots are the best shot to avoid being countered. And maybe the thinking was that Canelo was so big he wasn't going to get too hurt going to the body. It's not like you need to throw body shots to make Canelo gas out, he does that anyway.

Just some thoughts.
            LOL, but thats actually what I'm thinking Abel's & GGG's mindset mighta been, but then again don't you greatly increase your chances of a early/earlier stoppage by speeding up that process with the body shots so idk how logical that thought process is.

I mean in the biggest fight of my life I don't think I wanna count on some other guy doing something I'm thinking he'll do vs taking it into my own hands & assuring it happens.

Comment

GGG supposedly one of the best and most deadly body puncher yet that punch was basically taken away from him. Kind of like GGG who is a monster power puncher had basically one of his career worst days landing power shots and was actually outlanded by the smaller canelo in power punches. Out landed in 7 of the 12 rounds to canelo in power punches. So he was outlanded in body shots, outlanded in uppercuts, outlanded in power shots, basically any non jab punch canelo landed more and higher connect rate despite throwing less. The only punch GGG outlanded Canelo with was jabs. This isn't because GGG wanted to abandon all these bread and butter punches in his arsenal lol

It's not rocket science canelo took it away from him with his defense making him miss and miss badly when he loaded up on anything. His counter punching had him gun shy unable to pull the trigger on body shots (much easier to get countered off a body shot then it is off a jab). And he was frustrated by all the shots he was missing so he just became 1 dimensional head hunt happy. Canelo turned him into a 1 punch fighter. Jab is all that he could connect with and even that punch he missed a career high amount of jabs and one of his worst connect rates and the times he did land a lot were grazing partially blocked or arm punches with nothing on it. He missed almost 500 punches. Tip the cap to Canelo's defense.
              Last edited by bigdunny1; 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

he was headhunting

he underestimated canelos ability to take a shot

when you have been feasting on bums your entire career that lay down a when you touch them, you forget the basic fundamentals

ggg looked confused in there at times, he was hesitating to let his hands go because he felt some of those counter shots

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Isn't GGG getting countered anytime he's throwing doe?

With Canelo's stamina issues early body work seemed a key to winning the fight to me & I expected much more of it then I saw. I think most expected that before the fight too so the expectation was foresight not hindsight being 20/20 THAT much in that regard.

Fair play if Canelo didn't present as many opportunities with that. I didn't pick up on that if thats the case.
                  Definitely, but if I'm Sanchez and I am worried about my guy getting countered by a strong opponent who is faster, I want my fighter to do exactly what Golovkin did, which is go heavy on the jabs, with carefully placed power punches to keep him honest. With those punches, GG can bring his hands back to guard quickly. The way GG throws body hooks, he's really open.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    GGG supposedly one of the best and most deadly body puncher yet that punch was basically taken away from him. Kind of like GGG who is a monster power puncher had basically one of his career worst days landing power shots and was actually outlanded by the smaller canelo in power punches. Out landed in 7 of the 12 rounds to canelo in power punches. So he was outlanded in body shots, outlanded in uppercuts, outlanded in power shots, basically any non jab punch canelo landed more and higher connect rate despite throwing less. The only punch GGG outlanded Canelo with was jabs. This isn't because GGG wanted to abandon all these bread and butter punches in his arsenal lol

It's not rocket science canelo took it away from him with his defense making him miss and miss badly when he loaded up on anything. His counter punching had him gun shy unable to pull the trigger on body shots (much easier to get countered off a body shot then it is off a jab). And he was frustrated by all the shots he was missing so he just became 1 dimensional head hunt happy. Canelo turned him into a 1 punch fighter. Jab is all that he could connect with and even that punch he missed a career high amount of jabs and one of his worst connect rates and the times he did land a lot were grazing partially blocked or arm punches with nothing on it. He missed almost 500 punches. Tip the cap to Canelo's defense.
                    You make it seem like canelo outlanded him in power punches by a mile. It was almost dead even. Canelo had 4 more power punches. Not all non power punches are jabs. When you're being outlanded by almost 50 shots that's a whitewash.

Comment

Working...
                    X