No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC's New Rule - Fighter's Father Can NOT Be Chief Second

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    The motives seem noble enough but it is a strange rule that doesn't seem particularly enforceable if you still allow a father in the corner.
    Yea. How will they enforce it. Are they gonna watch the corners to see who's doing the most talking and directing the others? And if his father does it are they going to go over there and tell him to stop? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      WBC pass ruling that will prohibit fathers from being chief-second to their son

Matt Christie
      December 13, 2016

AT their Annual Convention today, the WBC passed a ruling that will prohibit fathers being chief-second to their son in WBC-regulated contests. The reasoning – delivered by President Mauricio Sulaiman – behind the move was over concerns that the father may not act in the best interest of their son if he’s in a difficult fight, and may let the bout go on longer than necessary.

While no commencement date was announced, it could have implications on the March 4 unification showdown between WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia – famously trained by his father, Angel Garcia – and WBA boss, Keith Thurman. It is not clear if the WBA’s involvement would allow the ruling to be enforced.

Other partnerships this could affect include Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Snr, should “Money” ever return, and Chris Eubank Jnr and Snr – who today announced an ITV pay-per-view event at super-middleweight – should they compete in WBC title fights.

Fathers will still be permitted to train their sons for WBC-regulated contests, and allowed in the corner, but not as the chief cornerman and decision-maker.

The motion was met with some resistance from the inaugural trainers committee that consists of Abel Sanchez, Joe Gallagher, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, and Stacey McKinley, but was ultimately passed by the committee.

This is not the first time the WBC have discussed this ruling, with talk of enforcing it as far back as 2009.

Read more at: http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/wbc-...-to-their-son/
      ... the ruling sounds right...

Comment

Yea. How will they enforce it. Are they gonna watch the corners to see who's doing the most talking and directing the others? And if his father does it are they going to go over there and tell him to stop? WTF?
        I guess they won't came much about that part, just that if and when there is discussions in the corner about stopping the fight they'll expect that it won't be a father making the final decision. Again that is strange, someone like Danny Garcia will have to have a third person as the 'official' chief second but in reality it will still be Angel Garcia. Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          ... the ruling sounds right...
          Eh, I think fathers would protect their sons more. Not only are they losing a fighter they'll be losing a son. I don't understand why they made this ruling. Has this been an ongoing problem? Seems like they're creating a solution where there is no problem. How many father/son partnerships are there? Porter's, Garcia's, Guerrero's, Eubank's.

Comment

This is plum stupid..how can you tell the fighter who can train them??

Comment

That's exactly what Angel is. Chief cornerman and decision maker.
              ok but like i said theyre not gonna tell angel to keep his mouth closed during the breaks

Comment

Eh, I think fathers would protect their sons more. Not only are they losing a fighter they'll be losing a son. I don't understand why they made this ruling. Has this been an ongoing problem? Seems like they're creating a solution where there is no problem. How many father/son partnerships are there? Porter's, Garcia's, Guerrero's, Eubank's.
                I think someone posted a study or two a while back showing that fighters trained by their fathers were statistically far more likely to suffer serious injuries in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  ok but like i said theyre not gonna tell angel to keep his mouth closed during the breaks
                  I don't know. Maybe fine him after the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                    I think someone posted a study or two a while back showing that fighters trained by their fathers were statistically far more likely to suffer serious injuries in the ring
                    You got that study? I can't believe the sample size would be big enough to make that study credible. I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just saying I don't think there are enough father/son partnerships to make the study credible. I'm sure they included amateur too. I just want to look at the sample size of the study and a cpl other things

Comment

LOL I cant wait for angel to spaz out about this like the ****** that he is.

Comment

Working...
                      X