Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Objectively, which of Pac's catchweights were unfair?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many ways to look at this. One is that none of the said fighters had to sign a contract unless they knew what they were getting into. If anything, the weight played more into the heads of his opponent than anything.
    The Cotto 2lbs difference was nothing more than a mind game. Cotto came in 146lbs for his fight prior. Could 1lb make a difference? gtfo if you think so.
    Oscar, well Oscar was the one that wanted the fight and was willing to go down to 147lbs while forcing pacquiao up to 147lbs having only tested 135lbs and skipped 140lbs at the time. Can this even be argued against Pacquiao despite Oscar looking like ****? I think not...
    Margarito, um, Margarito gained 20lbs over Pacquiao on fight night. Should this even be discussed further?
    Now let's forget that Pacquiao went down to 140lbs to fight Hatton at the division Hatton was dominating all men at because he knew Hatton was a smaller fighter and it would only make sense that way.
    Look, I hate the word catchweights, but I think it was more mind games in some cases such as the Cotto bout. But everything else sort of made sense if you look into it.

Comment

The only bs catchweight to me was Cotto he was the champ and should have walked out on the negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
        De La Hoya - Pac jumped 2 weight classes for this fight. First time fighting at welter, coming off a lightweight fight. ODLH was the A side, he called the shots, so this was all on him. No issues with this one.

Cotto - Fighting for Cotto's welterweight title. Since Cotto weighed in the previous fight at 146, only 1 lb less at a 145 lb catchweight was supposedly fair. But if it's only 1 lb, why not just fight at the welterweight limit?

Margarito - Tony was a career welterweight. Plus, Pac didn't even come close to making the super welter limit. No issue with this one.

Marquez 3 - The catchweight was basically their real weights without having to cut weight and rehydrate. Pac is not a full fledged welter, more like a filled out junior welter who doesn't feel like cutting weight. He's the A side, so he can call the shots on the weight. No issue with this one.

So the only one I have issue with is the Cotto fight. Cotto had a history of trouble making weight for 147 as it is, plus Cotto was the champion. The others are no big deal for the reasons stated above.
        None of them. Catchweights have been part of boxing for as long as its been around and unsurprisingly, the only people that moan about them seem to be floydiots.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
          There are many ways to look at this. One is that none of the said fighters had to sign a contract unless they knew what they were getting into. If anything, the weight played more into the heads of his opponent than anything.
          The Cotto 2lbs difference was nothing more than a mind game. Cotto came in 146lbs for his fight prior. Could 1lb make a difference? gtfo if you think so.
          Oscar, well Oscar was the one that wanted the fight and was willing to go down to 147lbs while forcing pacquiao up to 147lbs having only tested 135lbs and skipped 140lbs at the time. Can this even be argued against Pacquiao despite Oscar looking like ****? I think not...
          Margarito, um, Margarito gained 20lbs over Pacquiao on fight night. Should this even be discussed further?
          Now let's forget that Pacquiao went down to 140lbs to fight Hatton at the division Hatton was dominating all men at because he knew Hatton was a smaller fighter and it would only make sense that way.
          Look, I hate the word catchweights, but I think it was more mind games in some cases such as the Cotto bout. But everything else sort of made sense if you look into it.
          Notice the pathetic excuse given about Cotto. This is how many of Pacquiaos fans think about the Cotto cw of 145 lbs. Real pathetic. It's as if they don't understand the effects of making weight, Cotto being champion and criticizing their own hero. Pacquiao fans always want you to acknowledge other fighters flaws, lives, criticisms, and mistakes and ignore Mr Pacquiaos mistakes. Hell it was cool for Pacquiao to have ****ed around on his wife to some Pacquiao fans.
          Last edited by Frank Ducketts; 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
            Notice the pathetic excuse given about Cotto. This is how many of Pacquiaos fans think about the Cotto cw of 145 lbs. Real pathetic. It's as if they don't understand the effects of making weight, Cotto being champion and criticizing their own hero. Pacquiao fans always want you to acknowledge other fighters flaws, lives, criticisms, and mistakes and ignore Mr Pacquiaos mistakes. Hell it was cool for Pacquiao to have ****ed around on his wife to some Pacquiao fans.
            Speaking of bumsniffing floydiots... ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
              Speaking of bumsniffing floydiots... ^^^^^
              Here is another example of a Pacquiao fan who thinks that Pacquiao can do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                The only bs catchweight to me was Cotto he was the champ and should have walked out on the negotiations.
                I totally agree. But Cotto wanted a chance to earn money and fight the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                  So your saying the 1lb made a difference? Perhaps it made a difference in Cotto's mind? Whatever it may be, I find it very hard to believe 1lb could make a difference. And I'm one of Cotto's biggest supporters along with Pacs. If you would like me to believe it did, then OK, cause I love supporting Cotto and if that does it then great, but honestly, I don't feel cool arguing that 1lb caused him to lose the fight with anybody.

Comment

So your saying the 1lb made a difference? Perhaps it made a difference in Cotto's mind? Whatever it may be, I find it very hard to believe 1lb could make a difference. And I'm one of Cotto's biggest supporters along with Pacs. If you would like me to believe it did, then OK, cause I love supporting Cotto and if that does it then great, but honestly, I don't feel cool arguing that 1lb caused him to lose the fight with anybody.
                    To make a man go down to 145 when he was having difficulty making 147 previously, affects things during training. by limitng the weight a fighter can rehydrate to after the weigh in affects a fighter as well. Seems like there are really only 2 questions:

If 2 lbs wasn't a big deal, why did manny require it to fight? would cotto have won if he was allowed to come in at 147?

Comment

Cottos weight for the Clottey fight has zero to do with anything. When you finally understand this, then we can solve the cw problem that you Pacquiao fans have with posters.

Comment

Working...
                      X