Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is everyone on this forum obsessed with PPV numbers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Box Up! View Post
    So many of you go crazy at the thought of PPV numbers. Oooo Manny did XYZ so he's the best, yeah but Floyd ABC so he's even better.

Who cares? Surely you should only care about a good fight?

When i last fought on PPV the numbers were under 400K and you went off the scale. Seriously people, calm yourselves.

PS thank you for your kind messages again, we've re-opened the drop-in centre and a collection box for Dusty is now with reception, we'll be holding a memorial service (not the funeral) a week on Friday, everyone who knew him is welcome.
    reasonable people care because they want to see good fights, when they dont happen people try to figure out why and whos to blame.

money is the issue 99% of the time, so people try to figure out which fighter is asking for too much. only way to do that is look at their ppv numbers, the more you bring to the table to more you take off the table. thats just the way boxing works.

people who try to ignore ratings entirely usually do so because they know certain fighters arent ducking the people they want to claim they do. so they look the other way and ignore the true reason the fight wont happen.
    Last edited by #1Assassin; 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      I don't think this is true. There is very little discussion of PPV numbers outside of Pacquiao and Mayweather fights. This suggests that it's not really about the PPV numbers, it's just another manifestation of the fanboy nonsense that pollutes every discussion on boxing forums.

you spend too much time here, den, rhumeybro. there's plenty of meaningful discussion to be had concerning the paper these guys make. it's valid discourse. fights happen when the money makes sense. that's the only time they happen.

who cares if the fanboys are misguided in their discussion of ppv numbers, and if it's really just a way of celebrating themselves and degrading others? there's still legitimate discussion on the subject to be had by unbiased boxing fans.

that you can't find many unbiased boxing fans on bscene is another issue. discussing ppv numbers, HBO / showtime ratings, etc isn't neccessarily a product of fanboyism. it's often a product of fanboyism, but it's not necessarily fanboy behavior.

Comment

i'll take it a step further:

i'm interested in HBO and showtime ratings more htan i am with ppv numbers. most of the fights i watch are on hbo and showtime.

they aren't going to make fighst with fighters who don't sell.

want to understand why rigondeaux, one of the planet's best boxers, isn't getting fights? ask why he's not selling on HBO.

there's a lack of a national fanbase [mexicans, pinoys, PRs. cubans really don't watch / consume boxing.] he doesn't speak english. he's in his 30's. he's small. and finally, while he's a great boxer who a connoisseur can appreciate, he has a boring style to the layman.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          you spend too much time here, den, rhumeybro. there's plenty of meaningful discussion to be had concerning the paper these guys make. it's valid discourse. fights happen when the money makes sense. that's the only time they happen.

who cares if the fanboys are misguided in their discussion of ppv numbers, and if it's really just a way of celebrating themselves and degrading others? there's still legitimate discussion on the subject to be had by unbiased boxing fans.

that you can't find many unbiased boxing fans on bscene is another issue. discussing ppv numbers, HBO / showtime ratings, etc isn't neccessarily a product of fanboyism. it's often a product of fanboyism, but it's not necessarily fanboy behavior.
          Good point. Once you realize you are debating with someone who only cares about the topic relative to floyd and manny, you can just ignore them.

Comment

I don't think this is true. There is very little discussion of PPV numbers outside of Pacquiao and Mayweather fights. This suggests that it's not really about the PPV numbers, it's just another manifestation of the fanboy nonsense that pollutes every discussion on boxing forums.
            What about Alvarez and fans talking about his numbers??

Bradley vs Marquez and what they did was a topic as well..

Bro any fight that get's put on PPV,people will talk about it's numbers and how it effects the fighters who participated in the event..It's a part of the sport,I believe is what England was trying to say..He's right as well,it has as much importance as a fighters purse..It can dictate what a fighters purse should be at times..Boxing is a business,and so is PPV num..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
              What about Alvarez and fans talking about his numbers??

Bradley vs Marquez and what they did was a topic as well..

Bro any fight that get's put on PPV,people will talk about it's numbers and how it effects the fighters who participated in the event..It's a part of the sport,I believe is what England was trying to say..He's right as well,it has as much importance as a fighters purse..It can dictate what a fighters purse should be at times..Boxing is a business,and so is PPV num..
              true people will talk about ppv #'s regardless of who it was but for pac and floyd they just put in the extra work asking about it. like with other fighters u'll usually see one thread asking about the ppv #'s for that fight. but when its pac or floyd u get like 20 threads in a week asking about it.

Comment

In reality a million pound a fight is more then enough for a fighter surely? its the boxers who work there bollocks of and still have to work a normal job to make a living that should be getting paid more money.

Comment

That's because there are hardly any PPVs outside of pacquiao and mayweather.

But when they are they still get discussed. We all heard and discussed the figures for Bradley-Marquez, Martinez-Chavez jr. and will likely hear bob arum big up cotto-Martinez numbers too.

Comment

New England is right. I was around when the Hatton/Witter fiasco went down in the UK in the early noughties. There was no reason for then not to fight (in a sporting sense), they were just a generation from great all-Brit clashes like Benn/Eubank. It never happened and one of the most common rationales you got from Hatton and his fans was : " what does Witter bring to the table?". Other than a damn good fight, not much. They were fine with it, but it was a shame. The money (and Frank Warren) ruled. PPV is the next step and here we are.....

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                      true people will talk about ppv #'s regardless of who it was but for pac and floyd they just put in the extra work asking about it. like with other fighters u'll usually see one thread asking about the ppv #'s for that fight. but when its pac or floyd u get like 20 threads in a week asking about it.
                      This is true,which is why I don't even bother to go into those threads..I'm not into bashing Manny or Floyd..Both are great fighters..Both are icons,both are atg..That's how I leave it..

To say tho,why is everyone obsessed..As to say if your discussing the topic your out of your mind or something is what I don't get or agree with..

Comment

Working...
                      X