No announcement yet.

Garcia/Thurman threads are starting to mirror the Matthysse threads

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garcia/Thurman threads are starting to mirror the Matthysse threads

Their is going to be a lot of crow to eat,but I suppose the excuses will flood in just like the last time. My money is on Thurman being over trained or drained when he loses.

It is starting to mirror them, I agree, but Thurman has a lot more tools in his toolbox at his disposal than Lucas does/did.

Comment

Fight isn't even a sure thing and you're predicting that someone is going to lose because they were overtrained? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Fight isn't even a sure thing and you're predicting that someone is going to lose because they were overtrained? lol.
        I'm predicting the excuses.

Comment

Maybe, considering the dislike for Garcia. But Thurman is a much better boxer than Matthysse. I think he wins a decision against Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
            Maybe, considering the dislike for Garcia. But Thurman is a much better boxer than Matthysse. I think he wins a decision against Garcia.
            Agreed, and people aren't hyping Thurman like they did Matthysse. You couldn't speak an objective work on here without getting painted in red k. When I saw the popular circle-jerk thread titled, "Is Lucas essentially an undefeated fighter", I knew the writing was on the wall...

Keith gets plenty of criticism and there isn't an overwhelming hype for him. Just a healthy fanbase.

Comment

Agreed but you have the benefit of hindsight so it's easy to say Thurman is the better boxer. Back then, Matthysse was considered a world class boxer with prodigious power. The man to take down Mayweather...

Garcia is easy to sleep on because he isn't special in any category. But I've been saying for years that no one should be surprised if he ends up being the man at 147. Excellent amateur background, can box going forward or backward, can counterpunch with power, hits hard, has experience on the big stage as the underdog and perhaps most important, probably has the best chin in the division. Him vs. Thurman is 50-50 to me but if he comes out with a decisive win, you may be looking at boxing's next big star.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Agreed, and people aren't hyping Thurman like they did Matthysse. You couldn't speak an objective work on here without getting painted in red k. When I saw the popular circle-jerk thread titled, "Is Lucas essentially an undefeated fighter", I knew the writing was on the wall...

Keith gets plenty of criticism and there isn't an overwhelming hype for him. Just a healthy fanbase.

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Agreed but you have the benefit of hindsight so it's easy to say Thurman is the better boxer. Back then, Matthysse was considered a world class boxer with prodigious power. The man to take down Mayweather...

Garcia is easy to sleep on because he isn't special in any category. But I've been saying for years that no one should be surprised if he ends up being the man at 147. Excellent amateur background, can box going forward or backward, can counterpunch with power, hits hard, has experience on the big stage as the underdog and perhaps most important, probably has the best chin in the division. Him vs. Thurman is 50-50 to me but if he comes out with a decisive win, you may be looking at boxing's next big star.

I like Matthysee, but he had two very lackluster performances in his losses before Garcia. The fights were still pretty close, but besides the knockdowns he lost clearly. I actually picked Judah to beat him in a close decision, but I thought Matthysse would take Alexander's head off and Garcia's as well.

To be fair, Matthysse just ko'd a very good boxer in Peterson and Garcia didn't really look very impressive before they fought so I could see why people were almost betting the house on Matthysse.

Three years later, and we know a lot more about both Garcia and Thurman. I think Thurman gets a little too much criticism than he deserves.

Comment

I like Matthysee, but he had two very lackluster performances in his losses before Garcia. The fights were still pretty close, but besides the knockdowns he lost clearly. I actually picked Judah to beat him in a close decision, but I thought Matthysse would take Alexander's head off and Garcia's as well.

To be fair, Matthysse just ko'd a very good boxer in Peterson and Garcia didn't really look very impressive before they fought so I could see why people were almost betting the house on Matthysse.

Three years later, and we know a lot more about both Garcia and Thurman. I think Thurman gets a little too much criticism than he deserves.
                  I agree. Thurman really showed me some stuff against Porter. Was a good fight cuz it showed his intestinal fortitude. Actually, before that, I thought Garcia would beat him. Now I'm not as convinced. Assuming he gets past Vargas, it's a great, great matchup and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    I agree. Thurman really showed me some stuff against Porter. Was a good fight cuz it showed his intestinal fortitude. Actually, before that, I thought Garcia would beat him. Now I'm not as convinced. Assuming he gets past Vargas, it's a great, great matchup and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Yeah, these are the fights boxing needs to establish big names in the post Mayweather/Pac generation.

It's a shame that some boxing fans can't appreciate the performance Thurman gave against Porter. The words "exposed" and "robbed" get thrown around way too much. It was a tough fight that really pushed him and showed he can pull off a good win under heavy pressure against a very game Porter.

Comment

Working...
                    X