No announcement yet.

Frank Bruno

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Bruno

What are your thoughts on him and his legacy?

Good solid fighter, just not good enough to be a champion. Dynamite power but a bit clumsy delivering it which cost him big against top opponents. Tended to fade late and froze when hurt and stopped defending himself. One of my favorites. I have most of his fights on DVD.

Poet

Comment

He's a British fighter I could enjoy. Solid fighter but seemed to fade fairly early.

I thought he was going to KO Tyson in their first meeting, he was definitely winning some rounds then he just fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        He's a British fighter I could enjoy. Solid fighter but seemed to fade fairly early.

I thought he was going to KO Tyson in their first meeting, he was definitely winning some rounds then he just fell apart.
        When Tyson landed the uppercut Bruno froze: It was always his downfall.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          When Tyson landed the uppercut Bruno froze: It was always his downfall.

Poet
          Which round?

Comment

Which round?
            The 5th. Tyson went to the body which Bruno absorbed ok but it brought his hands down and Tyson laid the uppercut in. Bruno froze and Tyson poured the punched on for the TKO.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              The 5th. Tyson went to the body which Bruno absorbed ok but it brought his hands down and Tyson laid the uppercut in. Bruno froze and Tyson poured the punched on for the TKO.

Poet
              Ah, yeah that was the finish. I just watched it again and the turning point, to me, was the left hook with 1:15 to go in the round. Bruno was toast after it landed. He was on the ropes 30 seconds later and the fight was over shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by BOX2008 View Post
                What are your thoughts on him and his legacy?
                One dimensional fighter who had tremendous power but choked in nearly all of his biggest fights-Tyson(2), Witherspoon, Smith and Lewis. Did fight better than his talent suggested he should. A C rated heavyweight

Comment

Ah, yeah that was the finish. I just watched it again and the turning point, to me, was the left hook with 1:15 to go in the round. Bruno was toast after it landed. He was on the ropes 30 seconds later and the fight was over shortly after.
                  Once Bruno was hurt he completely forgot how to defend himself. The same thing happend against Witherspoon. You don't freeze against an offensive machine like Tyson.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                    One dimensional fighter who had tremendous power but choked in nearly all of his biggest fights-Tyson(2), Witherspoon, Smith and Lewis. Did fight better than his talent suggested he should. A C rated heavyweight
                    I'm a bit more charitable and rate him a B- but my grading system may be a bit different from yours

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X