No announcement yet.

Orlando Canizales: thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mowglie View Post
    Some of the most beautiful skills ever, but I think his mentality and/or stamina may've prevented him from being one of the all time greats. I don't really mean stamina in the traditional sense. He wasn't a guy that would be dominating a fight and then just gas out in the later rounds. He was more the guy who'd take rounds off, or large portions of rounds, randomly when it seemed like he had the fight in the bag. This could lead to some outings where the fight would end a lot closer than it should've been against clearly inferior opposition.
    Interesting....

I think people forget the guys main thing was boxing and picking his shots.

Part of that might've been down to mentality as well. He wasn't a mean, dirty fighter with a killer instinct the likes of more famous/accomplished fighters with similar skills like Duran or Gomez. Much more of an all business, polite boxer-puncher who took what was there.
    While I agree 100% with the bold.
    I would have to say I disagree about the killer instinct thing.

When he smelled blood he would be all over the guy like a cheap suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
      won IBF bantamweight title and defended it for a record sixteen consecutive times. He was a pretty durable boxer.
      You live in Japan don't ya?

A few Japs in recent time have come close to Canizales record through fighting loads of bums. But none of them have beat him. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Archie_Leach View Post

This here is the definitive Orlando Canizales higlights.
        Enjoy guys!

I always find the Duran comparison interesting...
        I don't see it to be honest.

Canizales was a monster finisher.
        But he set up his finishes with great boxing and counter punching.

Whenever I've shown people that highlight vid in the past I've noticed they always assume the guy was a pressure guy or a brawler. He wasn't.

His brother Gaby on the other hand.
        I can certainly see the Duran comparison...

Great videos! Gabby was never stingy with his combinations for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Archie_Leach View Post
          You live in Japan don't ya?

A few Japs in recent time have come close to Canizales record through fighting loads of bums. But none of them have beat him. lol
          I see them try all the time, but get ktfo in the end. Even bums can land a solid punch. He’s the guy to beat.

Comment

Gaby actually looked remarkably like Duran. Not just style wise, but physically.

Comment

He was a good fighter with much better skills than his brother. His bro faced the better competition though. They were the first brothers to hold the same title simultaneously. Gaby gained the vacant WBO title off Miguel Lora while Orlando held the IBF version of bantamweight title.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                He was a good fighter with much better skills than his brother. His bro faced the better competition though. They were the first brothers to hold the same title simultaneously. Gaby gained the vacant WBO title off Miguel Lora while Orlando held the IBF version of bantamweight title.
                His brother wasn’t half bad. I agree Orlando was a better fighter.
                Excellent timing, and punched from interesting and surprising angles.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  His brother wasn’t half bad. I agree Orlando was a better fighter.
                  Excellent timing, and punched from interesting and surprising angles.
                  Gaby definitely fought the bigger names.

Comment

Gaby actually looked remarkably like Duran. Not just style wise, but physically.
                    Yeah lol
                    He does...

Comment

What a stylist!

Comment

Working...
                      X